Shield penetration, armor relevance and system damage

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Edit: In light of the new ratings system, I have bumped this. It is a few months old, but still largely relevant as far as I can tell. I hope this is tolerated.

Well, here I am again, shouting largely unfounded opinions on the game at you for no particular reason. Also again, I'll be shouting mostly about combat mechanics, in particular the topics of shield piercing, armor relevance and system damage.

Shield piercing

As I see it, the issue with hull is not that it's weak. Sure, it's a problem, but the fundamental issue is that it's utility is is limited to shield failure scenarios, which anyone would rather spend their precious on-board space trying to avoid, not prepare for. No matter how strong we make armor, it will always be reactive to shield breaches, whereas shields are preventative. However, if shields would let small percentages of firepower through, any battle would inevitably result in some amount of superficial damage, hopefully encouraging the presence of a hull to soak it up.

Furthermore, this would make some amount of damage an inevitable outcome of battle for both victor and looser. I agree this will be annoying without more efficient repair tools in the game, (And definitely should wait until that's been implemented) but it would also associate an element of maintenance with running a ship, which might in turn give some meaning to the concept of infrastructure. It would also introduce a whole new balancing variable with a number of applications, ranging from making fighters more viable, to making defensive effects work more originally, to making ship-to-turret transfer of shielding and firepower balanced.

The shield penetration mechanic, I believe, would be the perfect balance to the defensive ion effect. The 50% cap could possibly be removed entirely if a penalty was installed in the form of the effect also increasing shield penetration. So, you very well could make your shield indestructible, but that would make it more of a damage-reducing screen than an actual damage-blocker. This would actually be the perfect inverse of the offensive ion effect- boost shield interactions in the ship's favour, but has to be complemented by another system to deal with the issue raw damage. A fully ioned gun needs a hull-damaging gun, a fully ioned shield needs a hull.

Less remaining shield percentage should of course mean more damage leaking through, but I'd say it's important not to make absolute capacity too relevant, or capital ships will have yet another unnecessary advantage over agility-based craft. (If anything, larger ships should have more damage leaks) If we still want it to be viable to to add more shields for better leak protection, one could make the base leak value a function of shielding divided by mass. That way, more shields means less leaking, but simply scaling up the entire does not.

The one downside I can think of is if it works too well. Cosmetically armored ships that you could tear apart with a handgun weren't it for the shields are bad, but fully encased armor cubes aren't much better. The value people do place on the aesthetic appeal of their ship will no doubt mitigate this, but we'll nevertheless be punishing things like exposing cannon barrel ends and thruster exhaust. The only solution to this I can think of might also help make hull more practical in general, namely;

Area-of-effect armor

Currently, the armor properties of blocks are strictly individual. Changing this to allow an armored block to partially extend it's damage-reducing shell to nearby ones would have a number of benefits for design. Firstly, it will reduce the incentive to entirely encase should-be-external systems. While a rather insignificant issue at the time, this will be more noticeable the more relevant we make hull, which I'm fairly certain will happen anyway, one way or another. Of course, making this armor sharing too powerful will destroy the point in properly encasing your ship all together, so some form of middle ground will have to be found.

It would also reduce the rather impractical nature of hull. The amount of hull you need for a single layer is, at best, about three times the square of the ship size, and it only gets worse the less spherical the ship is. If armor is partially shared, the absolute quantity of hull will have some relevance as well, not only the thickness at the point of impact. Again, balancing this properly might be problematic, but if it's done properly, it should make hull an overall more viable means of protecting your ship.

Finally, it might just make hull design a bit more interesting. If hull reinforces other, nearby hull, then how much protection a specific point enjoys depends on a lot more than the blocks directly above it, allowing for more varied ways to encase areas. If nothing else, we'd be able to build our hulls on structural support beams and actually have that be of any use.

The area-of-effect armor should be made an effect of the defensive punch-through. Mainly because it already deals with reinforcing hull, and has generally troublesome mechanic that could use an overhaul to fill a more unique function. It also seems like a good inversion of the offensive version, both work with redistributing excess damage points. The function would be rather simple- more effect blocks, more armor-sharing range and percentage. Some amount of armor-sharing should be an innate property of hull blocks, but the defensive effect should be able to increase it by an order of magnitude, if not more.

System Damage

As a solution to the issue of core drilling, a “ship health” mechanic is apparently being implemented. The basic nature of this would be a collective health pool for the ship that equals only a percentage of the ship’s total health, but takes as much damage as the ship does when attacked. When this health is depleted, which will happen way before the ship is completely eradicated, the vessel ceases to function. I can understand the philosophy behind this, as it provides a middle ground between an achilles-heel on ships, and having to destroy every single block. However, I also think it would a bit too hard-coded. As such, I suggest it’s implemented on a system level instead of a ship-wide one.

Basically, systems would have a secondary health collective to the unit, that decides at what capacity it could operate. It should start out equal to the total the block health, but drain several times faster when the unit takes damage, so that by the time it’s taken some serious damage it’s pretty much non-functional even if the majority of the blocks remain. This way, a system could take some amount of damage and still function, but once you’ve sliced your enemy’s generator in half their ship is pretty much without power. I believe this would be a much more natural-feeling way of defeating ships, not to mention more along the lines of what sci-fi otherwise has us used to.

I'm stepping even more firmly outside the realm of things I can make a proper case for the benefit of, but nevertheless, I feel compelled to point out another potential application for such a mechanic.

I do assume I'm not the only one who'd like phrases like "focus starboard firepower on the frigate's primary reactor" or "damage detected in the forward weapons array, currently operating at 60% capacity" to actually mean something. Sure, they can already, but only after you've dug through shields and hull, at which point your opponent is the definition of dead anyway. Shield penetration fixes half that problem, but hull would still be 100% protection.

(The pierce tertiary does mitigate that somewhat, but is far too small a part of the game.)

As such, I propose the system health also be made vulnerable to nearby impacts- if you do enough damage to piece of hull, it will affect the systems beneath it. Not significantly, but noticeably. The effect from damage taken with shields up an hull intact should be small but noticeable, with one of those gone it should be quite significant, and with neither present, devastating.

To ensure titans are not made exempt from this by virtue of sheer size, (no hull impact reaching far enough to affect inner systems) how far in counts as “beneath” should be determined by the force of the attack itself, not how much damage it ended up doing.

Additional layers of hull should probably dampen the effect of the indirect damage, though that may just be one too many balancing variables.

As usual, you have my apologies for taking your time.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    agreed,i mean i love how in star trek even with shields up,they get damaged a lot,not a direct damage.. but damage to systems onboard
    so yes,Shield piercing all up for that :)

Reactions: lupoCani
    Reaction score
    Agreed, especially on AOE armor and system damage.
    I'm still waiting for that ammorack.

Reactions: lupoCani
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Apology accepted.
    You said it yourself, without a proper repair system in place, anything of this sort would make repair a nightmare. Figure we ought to solve that first if we want any advanced combat mechanics such as these. I agree with it nonetheless, it sure would be nice to make use of the currently massive and pointless amount of hulls laying around, no matter how pretty they may look. As for the shield piercing, hell yes. Already have plans for ships that could utilize this system.

Basically, systems would have a secondary health collective to the unit, that decides at what capacity it could operate. It should start out equal to the total the block health, but drain several times faster when the unit takes damage, so that by the time it’s taken some serious damage it’s pretty much non-functional even if the majority of the blocks remain. This way, a system could take some amount of damage and still function, but once you’ve sliced your enemy’s generator in half their ship is pretty much without power. I believe this would be a much more natural-feeling way of defeating ships, not to mention more along the lines of what sci-fi otherwise has us used to.
    Neat idea. Not sure if it'll feel natural if the target ship has a hundred generators all over the place, but i see what you mean. In addition to useful hull, folks may yet start constructing structurally good ships. I'd sure like to see that happen.
    A decent wall of text. Have a like. :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you mean something like 80% mass in ships, 80% armour for hulls (take min 1 damage, so you never get 100% protection)?

My opinion:
    Well written post, enjoyed reading it, but think of it again once repair is implemented.

Reaction score
    I believe that starmade's fighting system should be way-more tactical then just who has the biggest guns

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You said it yourself, without a proper repair system in place, anything of this sort would make repair a nightmare.
    Yeah, automated repairs are a minimum if we want this implemented, I can only agree with that.

I'd like to know, is there anything anyone actively disagrees with? I assume that must be the case, and I'd prefer to know in what way.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess your post was just to long with too few paragraphs (so that peoples can skip what they already know and read what they are interested into).

Maybe a bit confusing as the reader may not know if what he thinks he understand is what you want as-well.

Reaction score
    Something I disagree with? Ok... I dont have one, but I have something differently: Instead of calculating system punch through damage solely by the force of the attack, it should be some sort of calculation between the force of the attack and the amount of hull blocks the shot would have to go through to hit a system. If the shot wouldnt hit a system block on its path: zero system damage, just hull. That means that intricate hull and interior designs can actually have direct hits do zero system damage on them, while the cube designs would get damage regardless where they got hit.

Oh, and a repair system, please.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Probably we should do hull.armour = hull/all blocks * hull.armourPercentage (50 and 100, 75 for glass hull), minimum of 1 damage if damage > 100.

System damage is something pierce should do.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I guess your post was just to long with too few paragraphs (so that peoples can skip what they already know and read what they are interested into).

Maybe a bit confusing as the reader may not know if what he thinks he understand is what you want as-well.
    I meant the suggestion, not the writing. But thanks anyway.

Something I disagree with? Ok... I dont have one, but I have something differently: Instead of calculating system punch through damage solely by the force of the attack, it should be some sort of calculation between the force of the attack and the amount of hull blocks the shot would have to go through to hit a system. If the shot wouldnt hit a system block on its path: zero system damage, just hull. That means that intricate hull and interior designs can actually have direct hits do zero system damage on them, while the cube designs would get damage regardless where they got hit.

Oh, and a repair system, please.
    That seems pretty alright. I might even have suggested it myself if I wasn't afraid it would clutter my post too much. About the repair system, do you mean an on-board one? Wouldn't something slightly more infrastructure-based be better?

Probably we should do hull.armour = hull/all blocks * hull.armourPercentage (50 and 100, 75 for glass hull), minimum of 1 damage if damage > 100.

System damage is something pierce should do.
    I may just be dumb, but could you clarify that equation?

About system damage, so you mean the pierce effect? As I said, it's too easy to counter, and even if the pierce defensive was capped, it would still be way too impractical- the firepower needed to dig a certain distance goes up exponentially, and with the amounts of that damage the shield will soak up it's fundamentally too inefficient. Not to mention, this ought to be a core mechanic, not a quirk of an optional tertiary effect. I'm all for the pierce effect making system damage easier to inflict, though.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    for java? easy!
    hullRatio = ship.blockCount[ HULL_ID ] / (ship.mass * 10)
    hullMaxArmor = block[ HULL_ID ].armor
    damage = Math.floor( Math.min( damage/100, damage / hullRatio*hullMaxArmor ) )

Pierce could just hit each array (and only arrays of vitals) once, but just decreasing efficiency of systems whilebeing unable to kill anything. You would need other weapons in combination with pierce...

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    for java? easy!
    No, for human reading please.

In any case, the line breaks were still an improvement, you seem to be saying that the armor of each hull block should be relative to the armor/mass ratio of a ship.

I'm not so sure about that, as the main point of the mechanic was to reduce the square-cube cost of hull protection, and while it does do this, it does it much less effectively. Reducing the relevance of absolute quantity is also a problem as the same certainly won't happen to guns, which is the issue I aimed to resolve in the first place. Furthermore, it would remove the element of using the mechanic creatively, such as reinforced lines on the hull that help protect the intermediate, less-hardened plating.

Pierce could just hit each array (and only arrays of vitals) once, but just decreasing efficiency of systems whilebeing unable to kill anything. You would need other weapons in combination with pierce...
    Forgive if I'm just being stupid, it's past midnight here, but what exactly are you saying, and how does it relate to my previous comment on the use of the pierce effect for this?

Reaction score
    Very interesting, I was going to create my own suggestion for shield mechanics but then i saw the suggestion for this post. Shield penetration is defidently a good idea. though I'd like to take it in a different direction. Currently shields act as the ships health points (HP) and if they fail hulls are worthless. Instead I'd like to propose making shields more like armor class (AC). To accomplish that I would make a permanent split between shield damage and hull damage.

ShieldDmgTaken = IncomingDmg * (Shield/MaxShield)
    HullDmgTaken = IncomingDmg * (1-(Shield/MaxShield))

This means that the higher the shields the more damage the shields take and the less damage the hulls take, the lower the shields the more damage the hulls take and the less damage the shields take.

Add to that a new hull mechanic that redistributes the damage that's taken by shields and hulls.

Reflective Hulls - does more damage to shields to protect hulls.
    ShieldDmg = ShieldDmgTaken * HullMechPercentage
    HullDmg = ShieldDmgTaken * 1-HullMechPercentage

Absorbtion Hulls - does more damage to hulls to conserve shields
    HullDmg = HullDmgTaken * HullMechPercentage
    ShieldDmg = HullDmgTaken * 1-HullMechPercentage

This means that shields can never truly run out but as the shields run down hulls and other blocks are easier to destroy. As for the repair system, its already in place. you just have to be more creative with your builds. I created a repair beam bath station that covers every inch of any ship that fits into the repair dock.
    P.S. as for the destroyed blocks, well... that's war. deal with it :)

Last edited:

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That's pretty much what I suggested as well, except
    a) shields should be possible to deplete completely, if only because I want to shout "Shields down!", and it really wouldn't matter much for gameplay, and
    b) the mechanic of the absorption hull should be a hull-property induced by the ion defensive effect.

P.S. as for the destroyed blocks, well... that's war. deal with it :)
    That's the one point I strongly disagree with. It's a game too, you know, and we shouldn't have to "deal with it" if it doesn't enhance gameplay. I'm fine with superficial hull damage, but tearing down half your reactor to find those three blocks that a pierce beam destroyed really doesn't contribute to the experience.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's pretty much what I suggested as well, except
    a) shields should be possible to deplete completely, if only because I want to shout "Shields down!", and it really wouldn't matter much for gameplay, and
    Shout: "Shields at 30%, Captain! *consoles spray sparks*"
    That's the one point I strongly disagree with. It's a game too, you know, and we shouldn't have to "deal with it" if it doesn't enhance gameplay. I'm fine with superficial hull damage, but tearing down half your reactor to find those three blocks that a pierce beam destroyed really doesn't contribute to the experience.
    Pierce only pierces 6-7 blocks per default (if it hasn't changed recently).

A repair-to-blueprint feature would fix this and should be available soon (requested over and over again, almost gets annoying if I wouldn't agree on it)

An option to see damaged blocks in a chunk you are lucking at would be nice.

Reaction score
    Shout: "Shields at 30%, Captain! *consoles spray sparks*"

Pierce only pierces 6-7 blocks per default (if it hasn't changed recently).

A repair-to-blueprint feature would fix this and should be available soon (requested over and over again, almost gets annoying if I wouldn't agree on it)

An option to see damaged blocks in a chunk you are lucking at would be nice.
    Ah, yes. Consoles sparking when shields are low. Who ever thought of that idea? Seems like whoever built that computer was raised in China.
    Anyway, yes, I would think that a repair-to-blueprint function would be nice.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, yes. Consoles sparking when shields are low. Who ever thought of that idea? Seems like whoever built that computer was raised in China.
    Seeing this in many StarTrek. maybe it spread from there - was first sent when computers got the thing before our current shiny internet with wikipedia
    I thought I was partially writing a insider-joke, don't take it seriously :)

*ranting at my browser* You stupid thing should remember the sites I view, trying to correct "wikipedia" to "windpipe"!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To the briny depths with the fool who thought that hiding roman candles inside consoles, linked to the damage detection system, was a good idea! :p

But it is more exciting than seeing a digital readout screen suddenly switch to displaying white snow.