"[SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING" After getting out of a docked entity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This post turned into a much more detailed entry than I expected. The tldr version is; "Why is my server freaking out when I leave a ship docked to something that many other things are docked to?"

As I was posting this I noticed more and more details and distilled it to the following.

Our server is getting lag spikes. I have come to believe that the root cause is exiting an entity that is docked to our build station (which has many other entities and sub-entities (Parts are like nesting dolls at this point(or poorly chosen parenthesis))).

Getting out of a docked entity that is not attached to the station will not give lag, nor will getting out of a standard, non-docked ship. Staying in a docked ship, either in build mode or flight mode, also gives no issue.

The server console is stating:

Code:
    [UNIVERSE] WARNING: Sector UPDATE took 96; sectors updated: 27
    [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: UNIVERSE update took 97
    [UNIVERSE] WARNING: Sector UPDATE took 56; sectors updated: 27
    [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: UNIVERSE update took 56
    [UNIVERSE] WARNING: Sector UPDATE took 37; sectors updated: 27
    [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: UNIVERSE update took 37
    It then goes on and on the numbers don't always go down. It seems to stabilize around;

Sector:
    took: 31,
    updated: 27,
    Universe:
    took: 32

Also of note; there is a lot of logic in the sector, on the docked entities, but it should all be in a stable state. (Same for the numerous docked entities which are attached to the same station.)

Please give me some ideas on how we can continue with our docked entities, but without grinding the server to a halt.

Also, now that I have a better handle on what the heck may be going on, I will start browsing the bugs to see if there is something listed in there that this may relate to.

Thank you all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was wrong. What fixed it yesterday(ish) had no impact today. I am at a loss to explain this lag. Please let me know what kind of things would result in these repeating messages.

Thank you anyone.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Those messages are usually no problem.
    It only stated a sector update took 96ms which is quite high, but that depends on sector size, object density, and even build actions (if build mode size was increased).

If you like, I could join the server and take a look at the station for common problems that may put a lot of stress on the server.

Click here and send me the address of it, and I'll join it.

- Andy

Reactions: terra mining corp.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Whats considered normal? I routinely have sector updates in 100ms and 700ms