Server(0);OverlappingBOX Causing extreme lag and local FPS drops

Reaction score
    This is happening hourly as members build alrge or long ships and get them anywhere near each other, planets, or stations. The server ping will skyrocket and the clients FPS will drop to 2 or below, depending on how clsoe the ship is. If It's a medium sized ship on a planet the ping will be greater than 8000 and FPS in teh area is down to 1 or 2 per 5 seconds. This screenshot was a rare moment when the fps was up (it happens for short spurts then goes down to 1 or less).

[Sep 13, 2013 2:46:56 PM] STDERR: [CC]INFO: RigBExOrig@1398838476([CubesShape|SER Ship[Executrix](123735)]): (251.17079, -323.67783, -79.627426); RigBExOrig@1036355435([CubesShape|SER Ship[DSS_Phoenix](141284)]): (-432.6502, -434.484, -58.194458) UPDATE#: 9886
    [Sep 13, 2013 2:46:56 PM] STDERR: [CUBECUBE] CUBECUBE COL: 56 ms; NarTests: 0; overlappingSingleBlockAABBs: 0; handle: 38220 of MAX 101754576; DistiTime: 0;NarrTime: 0; Oct: 0 call(0) retr(0) aabb(0); on Ship[Executrix](123735): COUNT 618; TOTEl 81518; Ship[DSS_Phoenix](141284): COUNT 633; TOTEl 99106 on Server(0);OverlappingBOX A (-288, -80, -32)-(16, 304, 320); B (-480, -320, 144)-(-144, 48, 480)

Reaction score
    I understand this may not be able to be fixed in the near future, but can I and others get word on what causes the local FPS drops for anyone and everyone within 3 or 4 Km ? And what the mechanic behind the boxes colliding, and not the actual objects themselves. Or any way to mitigate the lag and fps drops this causes.

This really presents a problem when docking, people try and dock their ships and they lag out the server and their fps drops so low they can no longer try and dock. The FPS lag is the worst part, since admins and players alike cannot move the ships out of their location due to the frame rate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This has been happening to the server I play on as well. It\'s something I\'d love to see addressed, probably my biggest concern regarding the game.

Reaction score
    So it\'s not just massive ships, a member had this ship fall onto a planet and we had 5000-8000ms pings. And just had a few players leave because it\'s \"lagging all the time\" too many people are colliding ships with planets/other ships.

I\'ve probably deleted 7 or 8 planets today.

This ship isn\'t that large- http://i.imgur.com/Xn9WSM8.jpg

Reaction score
    We have the Same troubles, currently we have to keep all bigger ships >30.000 Block away from stations and ships!

Is it possible thet the millions of debugging Messages also causes Lag, is there an WORKING option to turn off them ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    We\'ve found, on our server, that undocking all turrets and ships in the entire galaxy, and keeping them undocked, helps a lot with reducing this crazy 8000 ping lags across sectors.

It does not solve it all though, so it could very well be that the OP is on to something, and it\'s rather ship boxes in general, than just turrets.

And yes, it\'s keeping us from playing much atm as well. We had to disable pirates, and can\'t fight, cause, no turrets

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Can you maybe send me blueprints of the 2 ships that are causing this. In their distance to each other, the should not cause that much lag. The problem at the moment is, that the bounding boxes of the segments (even if empty) have to be iterated.

More then 38000 comparisons had to be made without even one \"valid\" collision segment (all empty segment on empty segment comparisons, which of cause are not tested any further, but in this cause it\'s the pure length of iteration that causes the slowdown)

I\'ll try to improve the performance with the use of skipping empty regions and maybe another octree on top. This should help a lot in the physics calculations.

There are also hints it may have something to do with docking/undocking. I\'m trying to get more information. But I have someone that hopefully sends me a station where the bug is 100% reproducable (ping/fps lag after docking/undocking)

This issue has high priority, as it breaks the game in multiplayer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    can confirm it happening on my server as well. seems to affect ships over 190m long with anything docked to them.

brushing ships close together seems to trigger it within say 10-20 meters. this radius seems to rise the bigger the ships involved.

Reaction score
    I have the same problem I have several ships on my server 500m plus and if they even come in to a sector with a ship, station, or planet I get ping spikes as high as 40,000 and fps drops to what seems 1 frame per 20 second.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'ve seen this happen without even having any massive ships. I\'ll park ships in my starbase (default abandoned one) and it will be fine for a while and then all of the sudden it will say ships are either colliding with other ships or the station. It also happened a lot after my turrets were undocked. Perhaps it\'s related to every ship being 1 meter bigger on all sides than they actually are... a single core registers as a 3x3x3 ship.

Reaction score
    Will do Schema. I will send you a small variety of blueprints. I have done a little self testing, and found that even a large cross shaped ship that is just a wireframe will cause the same effect.