Implemented Save player relative to ship upon logout

Reaction score
    When a player logs out while in the gravity of or "aligned" to a ship, that player's position should be saved relative to that ship on logout. That way, a crew member can remain with the ship when not online.
    Don't want to get kidnapped? Fine, just leave the gravity of the ship before you log.
    I agree, with the condition that this only works if you're friendly to the ship in question. Back in Shores of Hazeron (ugh), it was common for people to infiltrate other people's space ships and sign out. There would be no way to tell that there was somebody signed out aboard your ship, and when they signed back in, they'd still be there. People used this trick to spy on spacecraft and discover people's homeworlds, as well as other shenanigans. It sounds cool, but there was literally no counter short of flying your fleet into the sun.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this whole idea was recently added to the queue of features to add to the game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree, with the condition that this only works if you're friendly to the ship in question. Back in Shores of Hazeron (ugh), it was common for people to infiltrate other people's space ships and sign out. There would be no way to tell that there was somebody signed out aboard your ship, and when they signed back in, they'd still be there. People used this trick to spy on spacecraft and discover people's homeworlds, as well as other shenanigans. It sounds cool, but there was literally no counter short of flying your fleet into the sun.
    On this topic, though, there SHOULD be a way (while online, of course) to hide aboard someone's ship and not be detected by the stupid magical radar.

Reaction score
    Add this feature please i hate crashing and having to space walk to my ship.

Reaction score
    On this topic, though, there SHOULD be a way (while online, of course) to hide aboard someone's ship and not be detected by the stupid magical radar.
    That's a really good point. Maybe when we get equipment in we can have some kind of stealth suit; reduced/no armour but you have jamming? That would be cool.

Reaction score
    I believe that the bed/core/enterable block position saving should be implemented by default but not the gravity/alignment relative position save. The reason I'm saying this is the bed would be able to easily be protected from use by a faction block like cores are now and if you crash while the ship is moving, it's usually with you in the core or some other owned block. The beds would be used for crew members who intentionally go offline and the blocks would simply spawn you right outside them as if you just got out of it if they were in use when you log back in. (might cause some minor issues here with accidentally clipping out of a ship due to some design flaws or technical errors in the game but you would still be in the same local area and there would be someone to come pick you up since they're the reason you didn't just start out in the block anyway.)

Also, if you noted my wording in the first part, let me explain further. I do think that support for gravity/alignment relative position saving should be included in the game so that a user can easily make it work that way if they really wanted to. That being said, it doesn't seem like a good stock idea due to possible technical limitations and exploitative player use.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Also, if you noted my wording in the first part, let me explain further. I do think that support for gravity/alignment relative position saving should be included in the game so that a user can easily make it work that way if they really wanted to. That being said, it doesn't seem like a good stock idea due to possible technical limitations and exploitative player use.
    Someone suggested only being able to save a player in a ship's gravity if the ship and player are of the same faction. I'll edit that into the O.P. now.

Reaction score
    I think relative positioning should only happen for players that were in a computer or similar block. For players just standing around, absolute position should be saved. To make it easy to stay on board a ship, there should be a way to sit in beds or chairs (probably with an invisible block only seen in build mode that links to the desired chair, since it's unlikely we'll ever get modeled stuff), and those would be occupied until the player comes back and exits (or the chair is removed, leaving the player to spawn as if they were in a computer).

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think relative positioning should only happen for players that were in a computer or similar block. For players just standing around, absolute position should be saved. To make it easy to stay on board a ship, there should be a way to sit in beds or chairs (probably with an invisible block only seen in build mode that links to the desired chair, since it's unlikely we'll ever get modeled stuff), and those would be occupied until the player comes back and exits (or the chair is removed, leaving the player to spawn as if they were in a computer).
    I disagree.

Reaction score
    And the most important thing noone said in this thread: if you get out of the core/build_block, and you were aligned to the ship or in the gravity, you shall still be as you were before getting in, even if not in the same place as you were, but in the field of the ship.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I agree, this is really needed to be added at some point in time. Maybe instead of faction protected chairs it could be stasis chambers? That way it would be like they are still carrying you around. I bet there could be a cool animation when you join; like it opens up and you sit up and climb out? :D

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A statsis chamber sounds interesting. It's pretty far removed from what I originally had in mind and a lot more trouble to use (and probably code) but actually seeing the frozen character in it would be cool.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    A statsis chamber sounds interesting. It's pretty far removed from what I originally had in mind and a lot more trouble to use (and probably code) but actually seeing the frozen character in it would be cool.
    It would also add to the 2001: A Space Odyssey jokes :P

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    cool! :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Stasis chambers are neat, but should be optional. Or, at least, regular ol' beds should be a perfectly fine alternative.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Stasis chambers are neat, but should be optional. Or, at least, regular ol' beds should be a perfectly fine alternative.
    Yea, maybe a bed could be cheaper to buy and manufacture and the stasis chamber would be more costly and work the same but have a neat look?