Implemented Save player relative to ship upon logout

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really wish one of the devs would post here and at least tell us if this would be a probable long-term goal. It would add so much to the game in terms of crew and whatnot.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like the player move in relation to the ship position while aligned - Point of reference...

If you log out while aligned, why is the player position not simply handled like a turret position?

Symbolic EXAMPLE:
    Ship speed = 140.5 x/s
    Player speed = 139 x/s
    1/30 second passed.
    Ship moved 4.683333333 x/s & round down => +4.6 & *30 = 138 x/s
    Player moved 4.633333333 x/s & round down => +4.6 & *30 = 138 x/s
    GLITCH

No matter how precise, error accumulates and once glitches out. It just takes longer.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yet another update has passed and we haven't even heard from the devs about this idea. This should really be a no-brainer (aside from the coding obviously).

Reaction score
    Wish the game did this...I've lost my ship a few times because of lag crashes in servers (and I am sure I'm not the only one).

Reactions: Unnamed25

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Players do move with ships when aligned, but they don't yet move with ships while they're offline.

I support this thread.

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am 100% in agreement with this. It would solve so many problems with unexpected disconnects, and it would let players more effectively play aboard the same ship. They wouldn't have to be on at the same time and the ship could still move. Which would be awesome.

That also means bunks of some sort should be added.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am 100% in agreement with this. It would solve so many problems with unexpected disconnects, and it would let players more effectively play aboard the same ship. They wouldn't have to be on at the same time and the ship could still move. Which would be awesome.

That also means bunks of some sort should be added.
    bunks could be a invisible 1m wide 2m long and 1m tall invisible block that you place on a "bed" (or other decoritive surface meant for sleeping on) which when used ("R" key by default I think) puts the player in that 1x2x1 space. If a player logs out while in that space the bunk is marked as "in use" in some way that basicly doesn't let anyone else use the bunk until whoever logged out in said bunk logged back in.

Now to connect this to the OPs idea:
    If a player logs out in some random hallway somewhere in a ship I don't think they should respawn in that hallway. In order to stay with the ship while logged out you must be "sleeping" in a bed somewhere on the ship. This makes it so that you have to have somewhere designated to beds in your ship in order to stay with the ship while you are logged out.

Note: If this makes no sense to anyone else, please tell me and I will try to explain it better.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    bunks could be a invisible 1m wide 2m long and 1m tall invisible block that you place on a "bed" (or other decoritive surface meant for sleeping on) which when used ("R" key by default I think) puts the player in that 1x2x1 space. If a player logs out while in that space the bunk is marked as "in use" in some way that basicly doesn't let anyone else use the bunk until whoever logged out in said bunk logged back in.
    I like it. I'd like to see such a bunk be rotatable in any direction, so that I can put my astronaut into a vertical gravity couch. I would also like to see AI NPCs get a command to go lay in the bunk. Imagine a whole wall full of these guys laying there, probably completely still... creepy!

Maybe if an astronaut is laying in one, the animation skeleton could move their head rhythmically side-to-side. That actually happens to real astronauts, because of the blood pulsing through the blood vessels in their necks.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The bunks sound cool, but I still think the guy standing in the hallway should save to the ship.

That said, I think the astronauts should stay visible (without the nav icon) in their beds while logged out. The bunks would then add a way to keep the avatar in-game when the player is not, which would be cool, but more of a topic for another thread.

Reaction score
    Also, not having this feature makes the servers that have "no drag" almost unplayable. If you crash while going max speed on one of those servers, the capital ship you just spent months building is GONE.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, not having this feature makes the servers that have "no drag" almost unplayable. If you crash while going max speed on one of those servers, the capital ship you just spent months building is GONE.
    But now we have warp.

Note the exact time, speed and direction that it went!
    Jump in front of it and use stop-weapons.
    I also dunno if it keeps flying after it hits an unload sector. You could approach from the other side and use stop weapons.

Or fly after it and wait till it it hits an asteroid :p

Maybe it is possible to build a clock-triggered stop weapons which adds "friction".
    If that is possible, I want a way to detect when a player is in/outside the core or when a player leaves it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hmmmmm, well, if you were in the server, then that could be solved via a sprite that stays around until you log in again to replace it. Then you would still be in the ship.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But now we have warp.

I also dunno if it keeps flying after it hits an unload sector. You could approach from the other side and use stop weapons.

Maybe it is possible to build a clock-triggered stop weapons which adds "friction".
    If that is possible, I want a way to detect when a player is in/outside the core or when a player leaves it.
    That's incredibly unreliable. It's really hard to retrieve ships that way.

Reaction score
    this is an excellent idea. The game does not currently support exploration because if you die or get stuck you will re-spawn at your station or the spawn shop, which encourages me to just stay near spawn opposed to explore the expansive universe. if you had spawning to ships then you would be able to explore without worry of losing weeks or even months of work.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But now we have warp.

Ah, but good sir, you assume that there is another ship in reach with both jump drive and stop weapons potent enough to halt the runaway ship. That may not be the case. Also, yes, you can make your own artificial space friction with a logic clock and defensive stop effects.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Until we have pilot occupation logic: What if you implemented a tiny stop weapon that was simply on all the time? Normally, when you are flying, you'll be pushing the accelerator all the time anyway, so if the stop effect is small enough, it won't keep you from hitting the maximum speed, but if you are off the button, whether by crashing or falling out, the small stop might be enough to -eventually- slow the ship to a stop, or at least slow it enough to eventually catch it. Most ships have more than enough thrust to max out their speed in seconds, so there would be enough power to overcome a small, constant stop effect. This might be a potential solution for zero-friction universes.