Resource system finished?

Should the Starmade resource system get an overhaul?

• Keep it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey folks,

Just over half a year ago I posted my thoughts about the resource system of Starmade and how it could be improved.

After checking up on the development progress there's still no mention of any plans to change the current resource system or improve upon it.

I do understand that there are a lot of things that need to be added to the game and a lot of things that need to be fixed, but the resource system is the main reason, as a group, my friends and I don't come back to the game. At least, in the scale and dedication we once did.

To me, the resource system at the moment is a confusing mess. I imagine it's the developers version (permanent or temporary) of a fantasy sci-fi periodic table.
    It's unimaginative, it's generic. Crafting recipes use these resources seemingly randomly and their names are difficult to distinguish even after a lengthy amount of time playing. It screams placeholder, but I have never been able to find out if this is actual the case.

Getting these resources purely time consuming and each one can be planet-scale strip-mined. The current strategy is to just mass-mine everything until you're guaranteed to have enough to make what you want.

From a gameplay point of view it's bad, from a new player point of view it's daunting and from a experienced player point of view it's meaningless.

I definitely worry that it's putting off new players.

So I want to know, what does the community think of the current resource system? Do you know of any plans to change it? And if you happen to feel that it should stay, what's the reasoning, what do you like about it?

Reaction score
    it does have a placeholder feel. but i wouldnt say im going out to mine every type of block. more of either (hylet, sapsun, rammet) runs. (threns, varet, mattise runs) or (fertikeen runs).. i used to mine the crap out of nocx but the change to using fertikeen ingots for advance armor. changed the whole game...

i cant imagine this is the final product. and i would hope we get some more rare rocks in each of the 8 astroid types that a: have unique textures that are geared for shipwrites, b: used for computers or effect blocks c: a fairly high sell point at shops. or simply shops wont carry the type of rocks.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    a:) have unique textures that are geared for shipwrites, b:) used for computers or effect blocks c:) a fairly high sell point at shops. or simply shops wont carry the type of rocks.
    This post beautifully illustrates why I hate those darn pseudo-intelligent smiley face icon text replacement algorithms with a passion ;)
    Sorry for off-topic, the urge was too strong.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If we had some kind of recycling or conversion system to turn less-useful blocks into blocks we need at a loss, that would be a huge thing, I would think.

But yeah, the original request had a lot of support and made sense.

I just play as a creative builder, so I don't suffer from dealing with mining and manufacturing. Maybe I'd have fun with other forms of play with a better resource system.

Reaction score
    This post beautifully illustrates why I hate those darn pseudo-intelligent smiley face icon text replacement algorithms with a passion ;)
    Sorry for off-topic, the urge was too strong.
    i just realized it did that. i must edit

Reaction score
    I actually like the mining system quite a bit. It does need some fleshing out like making certain minerals more valuable (looking at you bastynn) and making resources worth fighting over but otherwise it's a great system. Does it need some work? Yes. Should we scrap it? No.

Complicated? How so? Every block tells you exactly what you need to craft it and every asteroid tells you what they contain. As someone who was new to the crafting system a while back I found it very straightforward and simple. Perhaps more documentation is needed but for the record I don't need the wiki open in another tab to remember how to build half the stuff.

Is it necessary for the game? Yes, I can't speak for the debs but it seems like resource control will play a big part of inter faction diplomacy. It adds a new dimension beyond making the best ship and fights giganticism because every block you place is another block to build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I agree it needs tweaks and balancing, but I don't believe it needs a complete overhaul. First off, I think someone with a creative mind needs to look at all the current ores and crystals and decide what each one actually is. Keep the fantasy names, but come up with a description that can help focus its potential properties and uses. As a random example, perhaps Fertikeen is a very hard and brittle metal, so it's good for high-strength and impact-resistant materials (armor). And then perhaps Rammet is a soft crystal which can easily change its structure to store and release energy, making it good for any kind of energy/shield storage but not good for structural use, and Nocx is a rare element with unusual quantum properties that can bend spacetime to an unusual degree (warpgate modules). Now rework all the production recipes to match the descriptions, and the various resources will naturally organize into bare essentials, midrange equipment, and specialized high-tech.

Once that is sorted out, I think resource distribution needs some heavy experimentation to find a balance that works. Bare essentials should be available in every star system so you can build basic ships and defenses and get a foothold. Midrange stuff should also be almost everywhere, but maybe not as plentiful. High-tech resources should be somewhat rare, so you might need to scout out several systems before you find the required resources to build jump inhibitors or warpgates. This should also affect NPC shops, so a junk system with only basic resources will stock the essentials but probably won't have warpgate modules for example.

As part of this, we also need new systems and modules with new unique abilities, new weapons and hull types, new sensors and scanners, more interesting methods of transportation, etc. which I'm sure is already in the works. Given the above idea, one idea is specialized scanners that can tell you what resources a star system contains and in what proportions.

Obviously this is just a basic idea and is likely full of faults, but I think something like this this will result in a more natural tech progression and encourage faction expansion instead of right now where you can usually build anything you want with the resources from a single star system that you never have to leave. You start out basic, then as you scout and begin to collect the rarer elements you can upgrade and build tougher and more powerful ships. Meanwhile, since you have homebase protection you will be fairly safe at the beginning even if you end up being so unlucky that you can't make any armor or shield blocks.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    [1]I agree it needs tweaks and balancing, but I don't believe it needs a complete overhaul. First off, I think someone with a creative mind needs to look at all the current ores and crystals and decide what each one actually is. Keep the fantasy names, but come up with a description that can help focus its potential properties and uses. As a random example, perhaps Fertikeen is a very hard and brittle metal, so it's good for high-strength and impact-resistant materials (armor). And then perhaps Rammet is a soft crystal which can easily change its structure to store and release energy, making it good for any kind of energy/shield storage but not good for structural use, and Nocx is a rare element with unusual quantum properties that can bend spacetime to an unusual degree (warpgate modules). Now rework all the production recipes to match the descriptions, and the various resources will naturally organize into bare essentials, midrange equipment, and specialized high-tech.

[2]Once that is sorted out, I think resource distribution needs some heavy experimentation to find a balance that works. Bare essentials should be available in every star system so you can build basic ships and defenses and get a foothold. Midrange stuff should also be almost everywhere, but maybe not as plentiful. High-tech resources should be somewhat rare, so you might need to scout out several systems before you find the required resources to build jump inhibitors or warpgates. This should also affect NPC shops, so a junk system with only basic resources will stock the essentials but probably won't have warpgate modules for example.

[3]As part of this, we also need new systems and modules with new unique abilities, new weapons and hull types, new sensors and scanners, more interesting methods of transportation, etc. which I'm sure is already in the works. Given the above idea, one idea is specialized scanners that can tell you what resources a star system contains and in what proportions.

Obviously this is just a basic idea and is likely full of faults, but I think something like this this will result in a more natural tech progression and encourage faction expansion instead of right now where you can usually build anything you want with the resources from a single star system that you never have to leave. You start out basic, then as you scout and begin to collect the rarer elements you can upgrade and build tougher and more powerful ships. Meanwhile, since you have homebase protection you will be fairly safe at the beginning even if you end up being so unlucky that you can't make any armor or shield blocks.
    [1] Basic Material Lore. I like it. A good idea that increases Emerson. Not that hard to add either.
    [2] Shop individuality. Adds expansion incentive, Emerson, and a more dynamic seeming economy.
    [3] The alt systems! New stuff. As always.