Remove linear dampening

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's irritating to have to travel around 10km after a system crash even with extra cores...I like the idea, but a module to perform that function would be best. After all, disintegrator torpedoes are entertaining!
    If that module would make the ship stop when there's no player inside then yes.

But another option would be to have a message displayed asking if you really want to exit the ship when it's moving faster then, let's say, 2 km/h. That would be much, MUCH simplier coding-wise.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you like real life space things, join NASA (or play kerbal space program ;) ), but games like this shouldn't be to realistic. Some realism is OK, but seriously, the main element of our game is a 1x1x1 cube, how reslistic is that! And then people want real life space physics in a place where physics are changed completely...

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It's irritating to have to travel around 10km after a system crash even with extra cores...I like the idea, but a module to perform that function would be best. After all, disintegrator torpedoes are entertaining!
    LOL I tried to make one of those. Let's just say, I wish the server had linear dampening OFF.

Reaction score

But another option would be to have a message displayed asking if you really want to exit the ship when it's moving faster then, let's say, 2 km/h. That would be much, MUCH simplier coding-wise.
    Wow, now I feel silly, I hadn't thought of that at all, haha. Keeping it simple really is the best option in most cases.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you like real life space things, join NASA (or play kerbal space program ;) ), but games like this shouldn't be to realistic. Some realism is OK, but seriously, the main element of our game is a 1x1x1 cube, how reslistic is that! And then people want real life space physics in a place where physics are changed completely...
    There is one important thing in games called immersion. If the player doesn't feel like he's in space, he won't enjoy it. I'm not saying that all games should be as reallistic as possible, but basic realism is required.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Nope, doesn't help. If your client crashes, it won't stop in the middle of crashing to ask if you want to exit your ship. Programs (er, computing/computers in general) don't work that way. :p
    If you haven't noticed, most people want to get rid of that ridiculous cubic-meter chamber that players magically teleport into, and replace it with seats that players actually walk/fly over and sit in. So... uh, yes, we definitely do want more realism. :p

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Linear dampening is THE stupidest thing currently in the Starmade game. The reasons it is used at all could be solved in much more elegant ways.

1. Falling out of your ship by accident - automatically align/stick the player to the ship on exiting the core if not in gravity, and do not allow the game to spawn the player below the ship.

2. Ships drifting away after being rammed by a numbskull - Program ships to use thrusters to stop automatically when there is no player in the core, in the ship's gravity, or aligned to the ship. This still allows a pilot to hop out of the core in flight and walk over to the mess hall for a snack.

3. Falling out due to client crash: http://starmadedock.net/threads/save-player-relative-to-ship-upon-logout.1804/

At the very, VERY least, linear dampening should not affect an occupied ship, at least by default.

Reactions: Unnamed25