Remove linear dampening

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    In other, more understandable words, remove space friction (the magic force that slows your ships down). Instead, the ships would only slow down if there is no player inside the core (as if there was a player inside holding LShift key). That way the game would be a little more realistic without having to lose your ships on accidental ejects. Also, you would beable to easily navigate through menus while flying without slowing down. And yes, I know that there is an option in the config file, but it's dangerous to enable it because of the before mentioned issue.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You can turn it off in the server.txt file.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    You can turn it off in the server.txt file.
    Yeah, except that forces ships to drift off into space whenever you accidentally hit R in flight or have some jackass ram your ship.
    For the visually impaired kiddan
    Instead, the ships would only slow down if there is no player inside the core (as if there was a player inside holding LShift key). That way the game would be a little more realistic without having to lose your ships on accidental ejects.
    Hell he even mentioned it was in the config.
    And yes, I know that there is an option in the config file, but it's dangerous to enable it because of the before mentioned issue.
    Yep right there in the OP.

Just seems like lazy posting on your part kiddan, please refrain from posting if you aren't going to read and post constructive feedback. The config option isn't enough to implement the suggestion thus why the suggestion was made. etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Space friction sucks, period.

Just rebind the activation key from R to something further away (like F4) if you're afraid of hitting it in-flight.

When I ran a server we had disabled space friction. Pretty much every new player that came in bitched about it from the start, then learned to love it. I wish more servers would set it to zero. Once you learn how to dock your ships it's not bad.

In the case that you had zero space friction but things still slowed down without a pilot, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about no linear damping, but the possibility to turn on or off inertial dampeners (ship brakes) like in space engineers? and just have them turn on automaticlay if noone is piloting.

Reactions: kiddan

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Just rebind the activation key from R to something further away (like F4) if you're afraid of hitting it in-flight.

When I ran a server we had disabled space friction. Pretty much every new player that came in bitched about it from the start, then learned to love it. I wish more servers would set it to zero. Once you learn how to dock your ships it's not bad.

In the case that you had zero space friction but things still slowed down without a pilot, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
    Not really. This would help when players fly long distances, they won't have to keep pressing W key, also asteroids would get a similar mechanic (maybe stopping outside render distance). But most importantly, this would put space in space flight of this game

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How about no linear damping, but the possibility to turn on or off inertial dampeners (ship brakes) like in space engineers? and just have them turn on automaticlay if noone is piloting.
    That would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe create an autopilot block, and when you set a waypoint (new waypoint system + map would first have to be made) you could have it to fly there.. Not a bobby ai, that also shoots, I just want something that only flies, like a cruise control i guess. But you should be able to deactivate it with a remote of some kind, otherwise you might end up loosing your ship (and rule number one: always have a spare core with you...).

Edit: I just realised that I just suggested the same as above, and I just added a block that was needed for that function (also, please ignore the explanation, cruise control is all you need, my idea was rubbish, and as i said, the best that come from it were these two words: "cruise control", which says it all, no explanation was needed and I shouldn't have given one, since I just ruined my idea).

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree; linear dampening throws a monkey wrench into balance and makes no sense. If anything, it should be a defensive effect of something or a toggleable single block; a 'space brake' of some kind.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Am I the only one who actually likes the linear dampening as is?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only time it doesn't annoy me is when I happen to hit an asteroid, other than that, it just ruins everything.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I don't really see a purpose for the "slow down automatically" feature. Since ships will stop once they hit an unloaded sector (literally no way around this; this will always be the case) and the ability to search for the last entered ship, it's basically impossible to lose a ship from an accidental eject.

Also you are aware that gravity is persistent, right? If you accidentally eject with gravity you'll just end up outside your ship core.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't really see a purpose for the "slow down automatically" feature. Since ships will stop once they hit an unloaded sector (literally no way around this; this will always be the case) and the ability to search for the last entered ship, it's basically impossible to lose a ship from an accidental eject.

Also you are aware that gravity is persistent, right? If you accidentally eject with gravity you'll just end up outside your ship core.
    They would only slow down if they have any thrusters attatched to simulate the ship automatically "trying" to stop with it's own thrusters. Maybe the game would detect if the player ejects onto a block belonging to the ship he ejected from and wouldn't auto-stop.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Space stations (Like the ISS) need to be handled with care so that they don't float into space, I don't see why they shouldn't make it that way in default star-made but maybe add a module that enables when your ship moves without you in it and makes it stop?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    They would only slow down if they have any thrusters attatched to simulate the ship automatically "trying" to stop with it's own thrusters. Maybe the game would detect if the player ejects onto a block belonging to the ship he ejected from and wouldn't auto-stop.
    Hm, that would be the player-side simplest solution, but technically it could cause some oddities and would likely result in weird bugs.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!

Yes I think people need to learn how space works in real life. :P Anyways, who wants to have to hold W for 5 minutes non-stop to get to a planet?!

Reaction score
    It's irritating to have to travel around 10km after a system crash even with extra cores...I like the idea, but a module to perform that function would be best. After all, disintegrator torpedoes are entertaining!