Red Shift (#1 On the official list!) - NO LONGER ACTIVE!!

Reaction score
    not an argument, but being # 1 on starmade servers or on the population list doesnt mean youre good, it just means you offer vote rewards to pay off #1, and new people who dont know better join based on playercount and establish an emotional investment in a particular server.

its really not a good metric to judge how "good" a server is.
    Ok.. Then what is?

Reaction score
    there isnt a reliable metric to determine how "good" a sm server is atm... but you cant possibly rationally think a paid vote ticker is reliable...

id say the opinions of the majority of the commuity whove tried the server. i personally didnt like your server because of constant high ping, but that was just my experience. i dont have anything bad to say about your staff like some people ive heard. your server WAS pretty notorious for bad press in random discussion though, probably just a side effect of high pop and playerbase ranging from total noob to very experienced.

Reaction score
    there isnt a reliable metric to determine how "good" a sm server is atm... but you cant possibly rationally think a paid vote ticker is reliable...

id say the opinions of the majority of the commuity whove tried the server. i personally didnt like your server because of constant high ping, but that was just my experience. i dont have anything bad to say about your staff like some people ive heard. your server WAS pretty notorious for bad press in random discussion though, probably just a side effect of high pop and playerbase ranging from total noob to very experienced.
    Well, there's plenty of reliable metrics. First of which is watching returning players. If we held the number of players based on new arrivals that shortly left then it wouldn't mean the same thing as having a large active player base that played for months, or in some cases years on the server. I watched the statistics on the server pretty regularly and had the ability to accurately see activity levels of the players and the turnover on the server. Yes we had a bunch of new people each day, but we also had more returning players each day than most other servers had total players so I'd say by the very reliable metric we were still #1.

I never actually thought a paid vote ticker was reliable, and I was one of the ones to argue against it. I also was working on a server list that wasn't based on votes and had sort of put it up for a very short time before I took it down when I took down RS. I spent insane amounts of time trying to help further this game.

Now on your comment of the ping, unfortunately that's mostly a problem of the game itself. We were on basically top of the line hardware (and we still would be today if we were still running) and I did quite a bit of testing of real network statistics outside of game with various players and found that the hosting was actually quite good to most areas (US and Canada especially), If you were in Europe then I can understand having a bit higher ping just due to the physical time required for even light to travel that distance (there is a limit to how fast even fiber can round trip US to Europe and Back) We were at the limits of what was possible at the time with StarMade as we where running on a high clockspeed server on gigabit connections and fast enterprise SSDs along with a massive automated maintenance system (that I've still yet to see anyone come close to matching :) ) and the help of several highly competent admins managing the server. The game just had limits and we were always pushing them.

As for the bad press, some of it was due to Obi that responded below you originally as all the way through RS's life we were still associated with him even though we banned him early on for various reasons like claiming he owned my server. Some of it was also due to high pop, and some of it was just due to other reasons. Some of it was due to lag/ping like many other server.

So while I obviously understand that we weren't the server for everyone, in basically every objective way of looking at it in the broad sense we were #1. I still to this day get random emails/messages here asking where we went and if we're coming back or if I'm hosting other game servers. You don't get that if everyone hates you. Some of the players and most of the admin team are still in my discord server (as I'm writing this actually) which again you don't get if nobody likes you. :)

Reaction score
    ive played on a few servers i didnt like just because i had friends there or it was the only populated one up at the time, because this games community is tiny and volatile.
    [doublepost=1489464119,1489464056][/doublepost]but i agree, im not bashing your server because i got high ping on it. im aware of how bad this game is from a server hosting perspective lol

Reaction score
    ive played on a few servers i didnt like just because i had friends there or it was the only populated one up at the time, because this games community is tiny and volatile.
    [doublepost=1489464119,1489464056][/doublepost]but i agree, im not bashing your server because i got high ping on it. im aware of how bad this game is from a server hosting perspective lol
    While I understand that, at the time we were running, the game was substantially larger than it is now. At our prime (80ish online people) there was 20+ on most of the servers on the front page, so that was less of a reason then. Nowadays yeah you'd pretty much have to go to where friends are or be alone since last I actually looked on a saturday recently the total players on all the servers combined was only about 1.5x what we had by ourselves 2 years ago. If you really joined around January 2015 like your forum display says you came in on the tail end of our lifespan which was a solid decline in players across the game from feb -june when we left.

I hope this game comes back, and it's why I still watch it, but there's not enough people now to really have much fun.

Reaction score
    been playing since 14, played on your server several times with 40+ people. my personal distate for it was just ecause of the configs and lag, nothing else. i agree with you about playerbase and lack of fun, etc. be nice if something positive happens here.

Reaction score
    been playing since 14, played on your server several times with 40+ people. my personal distate for it was just ecause of the configs and lag, nothing else. i agree with you about playerbase and lack of fun, etc. be nice if something positive happens here.
    The lag was what I focused on most and was why nobody could touch us on the number of online players as while yes we obviously still had lag, we were consistently lower than anyone else that ever came close to the size! It was the topic of my frequent discussions with other server owners as well as with Schema and the testers. What bugs me the most is that I know the issues that we had are completely solvable (and I'm not trying to put Schema down, or discredit him, as overall he's done an incredible job)

I'll continue watching and will investigate the possibility of a return of RS if the game gets substantially more popular again, and at the same time Schema is able to fix some of the massive problems with servers. As much as I'd love to do another server if the player base picked up, I can't afford to spend the time I used to managing it. I still have all the utilities and things I wrote for RS in the event it ever becomes useful again... We'll see...

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    The lag was what I focused on most and was why nobody could touch us on the number of online players as while yes we obviously still had lag, we were consistently lower than anyone else that ever came close to the size! It was the topic of my frequent discussions with other server owners as well as with Schema and the testers. What bugs me the most is that I know the issues that we had are completely solvable (and I'm not trying to put Schema down, or discredit him, as overall he's done an incredible job)

I'll continue watching and will investigate the possibility of a return of RS if the game gets substantially more popular again, and at the same time Schema is able to fix some of the massive problems with servers. As much as I'd love to do another server if the player base picked up, I can't afford to spend the time I used to managing it. I still have all the utilities and things I wrote for RS in the event it ever becomes useful again... We'll see...
    If RS ever does pop back up on the Server radar, you can be sure I'll be sure to pay a visit

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes, blame me for changing the name of a server that was not associated with Star Wars at all and had a Star Wars name.

Lel

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    It was a little bit of a silly name...

Reaction score
    Yes, blame me for changing the name of a server that was not associated with Star Wars at all and had a Star Wars name.

Lel
    Originally we were, we stopped after a while because people lost interest in that aspect. We adapted over time basically. I blamed you simply because effectively everyone I talked to disliked you and had a bad experience with anything near you and thought I and RS were affiliated with you. I also had numerous reports of you claiming you owned my server. We chose to change the name simply so we didn't appear to be at all affiliated with you and to stop you from being able to claim you owned it. In extension to that, I never saw you run a marginally decent server (actually IIRC yours was almost never up from what I heard) so it would be smart of you to not disparage others for things you know nothing about.

It was a little bit of a silly name...
    After we dropped the theme related things on server, yeah I'd definitely agree. I didn't originally name it, a friend of mine did cause I suck at coming up with names lol

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not 'Likewise', Koderz seems to be more familiar with you than he lets you on to know... :ROFLMAO:
    I dont give two frick fracks if people hated me and they traveled to Red Shift and complained. And the reason people were saying that I claimed to own that server was cuz they were fooled by the name. And in fact, the server did run pretty well and was fairly active. There was no way anyone could've "seen" my server unless they were in the faction or I was nice and let them come on. There was a hacking issue which lead to the server being deactivated for some time.

So maybe both of you shouldn't be disparaging and quit necroing a dead server (which everyone I talked to disliked).

Reaction score
    Likewise. :^)
    Oh I know quite a bit about what I speak. I don't feel the need to make BS up, or needlessly go after people who I don't know... You came to my thread, I didn't ask you to reply. I didn't say anything about you until you showed up. It boils down to you need to mind your own business unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Not 'Likewise', Koderz seems to be more familiar with you than he lets you on to know... :ROFLMAO:
    Something like that... :)

I dont give two frick fracks if people hated me and they traveled to Red Shift and complained. And the reason people were saying that I claimed to own that server was cuz they were fooled by the name. And in fact, the server did run pretty well and was fairly active. There was no way anyone could've "seen" my server unless they were in the faction or I was nice and let them come on. There was a hacking issue which lead to the server being deactivated for some time.

So maybe both of you shouldn't be disparaging and quit necroing a dead server (which everyone I talked to disliked).
    You should care, it should make you wonder about yourself when multiple people come complaining to others like me. On the old forums I saw a post where you directly claimed to own my server. We also existed prior to your faction so to be honest you copied our name (I remember that being one of your ongoing arguments that we copied you).

I never played on your server obviously, mostly because I had my own, and partly because you're too immature for me to want to be around. I'm just stating what I was told numerous times, which is exactly what I said above was that I "heard" not ever directly experienced your server. If there was a hacking issue on your server, then it sounds like you might need to invest in a better host and learn how to secure a server. Yes I realize the game itself had security flaws (being the one to report several of them myself), but we found ways to overcome them, and if you mean actual hacking outside SM then you either upset a very skilled person or you really need to figure out basic security practices.

As for your last comment.... As I stated above, this threads not dead if people keep replying to it, so I'm not "necroing" anything, I'm simply replying to others. As for the last part... Like I said above, we obviously weren't hated or I wouldn't still to this day be getting inquiries from old players asking if we're still around or if we're coming back. My guess on the part of everyone you talked do disliking us would be they're probably the very people that RS, Elwyn and others banned for reasons that then spent months trying to disparage us like yourself...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh I know quite a bit about what I speak. I don't feel the need to make BS up, or needlessly go after people who I don't know... You came to my thread, I didn't ask you to reply. I didn't say anything about you until you showed up. It boils down to you need to mind your own business unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Something like that... :)

You should care, it should make you wonder about yourself when multiple people come complaining to others like me. On the old forums I saw a post where you directly claimed to own my server. We also existed prior to your faction so to be honest you copied our name (I remember that being one of your ongoing arguments that we copied you).

I never played on your server obviously, mostly because I had my own, and partly because you're too immature for me to want to be around. I'm just stating what I was told numerous times, which is exactly what I said above was that I "heard" not ever directly experienced your server. If there was a hacking issue on your server, then it sounds like you might need to invest in a better host and learn how to secure a server. Yes I realize the game itself had security flaws (being the one to report several of them myself), but we found ways to overcome them, and if you mean actual hacking outside SM then you either upset a very skilled person or you really need to figure out basic security practices.

As for your last comment.... As I stated above, this threads not dead if people keep replying to it, so I'm not "necroing" anything, I'm simply replying to others. As for the last part... Like I said above, we obviously weren't hated or I wouldn't still to this day be getting inquiries from old players asking if we're still around or if we're coming back. My guess on the part of everyone you talked do disliking us would be they're probably the very people that RS, Elwyn and others banned for reasons that then spent months trying to disparage us like yourself...
    You know quite a bit about what you speak, huh? Lel, k.

Nice to see you still hold a silly grudge over a name I apparently copied still.

I love how you claim no one hated your server and I'm supposed to agree everyone hated mine. You have to remember we were an RP faction with an RP server. It was never in comparison to your server or anyone's rather.

People asking you if Red Shift will ever come back? Kewl. Do something instead of bickering with me on this pos. Prove me wrong

Reaction score
    You know quite a bit about what you speak, huh? Lel, k.

Nice to see you still hold a silly grudge over a name I apparently copied still.

I love how you claim no one hated your server and I'm supposed to agree everyone hated mine. You have to remember we were an RP faction with an RP server. It was never in comparison to your server or anyone's rather.

People asking you if Red Shift will ever come back? Kewl. Do something instead of bickering with me on this pos. Prove me wrong
    I've proven time and again that I know of what I speak and don't speak of what I don't know. I know that's a bit hard for you to grasp but oh well..

I couldn't care less about you, I'm simply replying to your complaining about me/RS and disparaging me/RS... I guess again it's too hard for you to comprehend..

I never claimed nobody hated us, you might want to go back and reread. I just said that obviously we weren't/aren't hated by everyone or I wouldn't be getting contacted still... Again I defer to the above...

Again I'll defer to the above as you apparently can't read or comprehend what's been stated here a couple of different times... I don't have anything to prove.. I've already proven I can run a very good server which is more than can be said for you from what I'm seeing. I'll go ahead and say what I've already said multiple times so that hopefully you can actually understand it this time... IF the community grows again and SM starts to make a comeback I will investigate bring RS back.. There's already more servers than there are online players usually so there's no benefit adding another server at 200$ a month hardware cost for so few people.

Also, for someone complaining about "necroing" a "dead thread" you sure are doing quite a bit of it yourself!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've proven time and again that I know of what I speak and don't speak of what I don't know. I know that's a bit hard for you to grasp but oh well..

I couldn't care less about you, I'm simply replying to your complaining about me/RS and disparaging me/RS... I guess again it's too hard for you to comprehend..

I never claimed nobody hated us, you might want to go back and reread. I just said that obviously we weren't/aren't hated by everyone or I wouldn't be getting contacted still... Again I defer to the above...

Again I'll defer to the above as you apparently can't read or comprehend what's been stated here a couple of different times... I don't have anything to prove.. I've already proven I can run a very good server which is more than can be said for you from what I'm seeing. I'll go ahead and say what I've already said multiple times so that hopefully you can actually understand it this time... IF the community grows again and SM starts to make a comeback I will investigate bring RS back.. There's already more servers than there are online players usually so there's no benefit adding another server at 200$ a month hardware cost for so few people.

Also, for someone complaining about "necroing" a "dead thread" you sure are doing quite a bit of it yourself!
    Ah, you continue with the same idiotic reasons in what looks like a multi page essay. I should have you write all my reports.

Seeing as arrogant as you still are, everyone speaks and no one knows everything, Mr. Perfect. And if you couldn't care less about me then just do what smart people do: ignore.

Your problem is spending $200/mo. Just a waste of money imo. And the community can't grow unless it has something to grow with besides the changes StarMade makes. Guess we'll have to look to servers with better management...

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Ah, you continue with the same idiotic reasons in what looks like a multi page essay. I should have you write all my reports.

Seeing as arrogant as you still are, everyone speaks and no one knows everything, Mr. Perfect. And if you couldn't care less about me then just do what smart people do: ignore.

Your problem is spending $200/mo. Just a waste of money imo. And the community can't grow unless it has something to grow with besides the changes StarMade makes. Guess we'll have to look to servers with better management...
    Few things wrong here, 1st. how is spending 200 on a server a waste of money when he wanted to host it in the beginning... 2nd. I myself have visited Koderz srver when it was still active and it had some good management.
    With you wanting something to ignore heres a news flash: Why not you gtfo the thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    cant help but wonder if these 2 are secretly friends stirring up conversation. =p

and jumpsuit you were 6 yrs old when rs was out boyyyyyyyy