Reason for having an interior

Would You like to have this system in game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I wouldn't want to go too wild with the idea but I like basic premise and even, though only partially, what the 'extended' part suggests. Generally, it seems that nowadays there's quite a big push and communtiy support for further differentiation between big and small ships, including varied requirement of crewmembers for different types of vessels.

While I am somewhat on the fence regarding NPCs - depending on exactly how you would acquire them, as simply buying them wouldn't change anything (it would be just another thing to check on the list of stuff to buy before making another dreadnought), I'd very much like encouraging a bit more sensible interior design.

Too many ships are simple bricks with little nook where magical cube vortex sucking in characters lies. Quite often there's hardly any regard (or need) for intelligence in design as after a player learns few basic tricks for building stuff, most combat-prepared ship construction boils down to 'slap more blocks on top of current blocks for higher stats' which is simply - yes, controversional opinion time - making a noticeably sized part of the whole ship building element in the game a waste of potential for being what it could be.

Thus, while I don't think player should be forced to build all the facilities mentioned in extended version of this suggestion, I agree with OP and am all for strongly encouraging players to build proper, functional interiors in their ships, with amenities they may require for their flight (but, again, which they can ignore at their own risk).

I am also fond of potential developments that could be build upon such, like more 'life-like' crews functioning aboard player's chosen vessel - something that'd add a lot to immersion and 'joy of adventure' factor as opposed to what we have currently on most servers - gathering resources, combining blocks together, sending them to wreck blocks of someone else, repeat ad nauseam.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hold on, hold on... why not have a small 2x1 hallway connecting the rooms to the core, have some very small rooms for the crew, and get everything! See how easy it is to break this? Suddenly you have the normal stats of a death cube now, with all of the buffs of this system! There, completely broken, and there is no way to fix that., sure, you could make their needs bigger, but that wouldn't solve it because it is only a few blocks... even if you somehow solve that, what about the O2 system that is coming? Surely you would need more of those the more crew you have, weakening a ship with that crew even further, making it worse than a deathcube.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Vyor Plus additional corridors leading to the turrets, but yes, it could be all packed to relatively small interiors, but players doing that should be prepared to loose their crew (with stations and beds) pretty fast during the fight.
    Also having little number of corridors would make it easier for invading party to orientate themselves and capture whole ship in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Vyor Plus additional corridors leading to the turrets, but yes, it could be all packed to relatively small interiors, but players doing that should be prepared to loose their crew (with stations and beds) pretty fast during the fight.
    Also having little number of corridors would make it easier for invading party to orientate themselves and capture whole ship in no time.
    How would they lose the crew? Oh ya, by having the ship SHOT TO PIECES!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thank god you came up with an alternative to Arkudo's heating idea. But could you be a bit more specific on what the thresholds would actually be? Just curious. You have my support for the extended version. :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Vyor Shields down, missiles where the stations are and boom, instant nerf to all the stats.

I haven't mentioned this in OP but in some comment here, that there may be a scanner showing the position of stations on the other ships. With that it would be easy to critically injure ships which aren't well planned.

1adog1 I believe i've made this thread before Arkudo has posted his idea :)

I didn't gave the thresholds, because i think they should be customizable, so there might be servers, where crew isn't needed at all, or only needed in small numbers to fill up the bridge. Additionally i don't even know what thresholds would be most enjoyable for me, because this idea would need testing and balancing.

Reactions: 1adog1
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Vyor Shields down, missiles where the stations are and boom, instant nerf to all the stats.

I haven't mentioned this in OP but in some comment here, that there may be a scanner showing the position of stations on the other ships. With that it would be easy to critically injure ships which aren't well planned.

1adog1 I believe i've made this thread before Arkudo has posted his idea :)

I didn't gave the thresholds, because i think they should be customizable, so there might be servers, where crew isn't needed at all, or only needed in small numbers to fill up the bridge. Additionally i don't even know what thresholds would be most enjoyable for me, because this idea would need testing and balancing.
    Awesome, thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!

Doesn't that just nerf ships that use this idea? Also, it is fairly easy to just have long thin hallways separating them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Thank god you came up with an alternative to Arkudo's heating idea. But could you be a bit more specific on what the thresholds would actually be? Just curious. You have my support for the extended version. :D
    This suggestion, while far better, has the problem of exploitability... and I would much rather have a slightly wonky balance, than a broken one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This suggestion, while far better, has the problem of exploitability... and I would much rather have a slightly wonky balance, than a broken one.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure the thing with missiles carrying damage through shields is a bug.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Doesn't that just nerf ships that use this idea? Also, it is fairly easy to just have long thin hallways separating them.
    If people want to be killjoys and make bare-minimum interiors, then so be it... There's no real way to stop that, no matter how many "safeguards" you try to put in place. However, I'd think that the vast majority would stylize their interiors and make them look at the very least decent, if not really cool.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If people want to be killjoys and make bare-minimum interiors, then so be it... There's no real way to stop that, no matter how many "safeguards" you try to put in place. However, I'd think that the vast majority would stylize their interiors and make them look at the very least decent, if not really cool.
    Let me say this in a way you might understand, as you haven't seem to understand it when other people have said it:

Peple redy da tha

Do you understand retard speak? Do you understand what several people have said in this thread now?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Not what I was talking about.
    I see where you're coming from with the whole small areas thing, but it might at least be a deterrent against it. As Ithirahad pointed out, there is no way to fully stop people from making their Borg Cubes. There will ALWAYS be exploits. I'm pretty sure this does the best job of any idea I've seen so far though. If you can come up with a better idea that isn't too drastic, we'd all be happy to hear it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I see where you're coming from with the whole small areas thing, but it might at least be a deterrent against it. As Ithirahad pointed out, there is no way to fully stop people from making their Borg Cubes. There will ALWAYS be exploits. I'm pretty sure this does the best job of any idea I've seen so far though. If you can come up with a better idea that isn't too drastic, we'd all be happy to hear it.
    I've been thinking on it... I think I have solution, but it isn't ready yet. It has something to do with FTL, but it doesn't harm the player at all, just restrict their options when they do certain things. You can do everything, don't get me wrong. Every build will be viable, some will be better than others.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been thinking on it... I think I have solution, but it isn't ready yet. It has something to do with FTL, but it doesn't harm the player at all, just restrict their options when they do certain things. You can do everything, don't get me wrong. Every build will be viable, some will be better than others.
    Well be sure to post it when you have it compiled.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Advanced mechanics would be the solution to prevent exploiting with the NPCs, like each NPC requiring a certain number of "empty blocks around ".... That would solve everything, yet the implementation could cause harm to the performance since it's much more data...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Let me say this in a way you might understand, as you haven't seem to understand it when other people have said it:

[People already do that.]
    [Insulting crap removed.]
    Yes, but the whole idea is that if ships with an interior have an advantage, more people will build interiors. Currently, since ships have to have an exterior (obviously, due to the basic laws of geometry) people are more likely to make really neat exteriors, but some just make shield or power cubes. If there's incentive to make interiors, people will be more likely to make really neat interiors, but some will just make compact grids or whatever takes up the least space.

Reaction score
    I like the idea but this will cause a problem for ships that are meant to be themed such as RA ships after seeing and flying some of them I know they aren't capable of handling the requirements of a crew (at least some of them) which would ruin entire fleets for factions with themed ships. I like the idea but there should be something like robots that do the same stuff without the requirements of the human/alien AI.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Come on dude, Where you have the crystal ball to see the future?, I do not speak a systema heat focused on something more than the balance of the FTL, only told you when I have something I will open a thread, it's funny how you can reach review something without having seen it yet.
    I simply compiled your ideas that you had posted and created my opinion based on that combination of ideas.