Reactor Chamber effects

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    not sure if a weapon or utility chamber...but with block destruction potentially causing matter-death of a universe....

weaponized teleport(salvager-weapons?)
    -blocks destroyed by ship weaponry have (chamberlevel)*25% chance to instead be salvaged into inventory
    -high lv chamber requires lv1 resource-mult chamber, and maxxed teleporter-shield-bypass
    I would like an easy visual shorthand of some sort telling me where my unlinked chambers are. There is already a grid point labeled, but I'm a visual person, and so some sort of highlight, or glowing incorporeal box on that particular grid point would be immensely helpful
    yeah, like if the build mode outline changed color based on in use or not. would help for sure.

Reactions: Majikmonster
    Reaction score
    I don't think this has been mentioned before, but since there's going to be chamber upgrades for warp gates on stations, how about upgrades for transporter range - up to a whole system-wise transporter system or even further? Instead of needing this chamber on every entity with a transporter to be able to use the system, we could have one station/planet transporter hub that projects an increased-transporter-range aura around it over the system it's in.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think this has been mentioned before, but since there's going to be chamber upgrades for warp gates on stations, how about upgrades for transporter range - up to a whole system-wise transporter system or even further? Instead of needing this chamber on every entity with a transporter to be able to use the system, we could have one station/planet transporter hub that projects an increased-transporter-range aura around it over the system it's in.
    That would require mechanical changes to transporters... also, I thought this was a game about spaceships, not magically teleporting between planets/stations?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Lancake, will the power update affect all systems on an entity?
    In particular illumination for anything like logic, lights, display blocks, emmissive etc. I would find it more immersive to enter a dead ship that is completely dark, forcing me to use my flashlight. Perhaps using a portable healing/energy supply beam to power systems locally. Perhaps for a length of time befitting the mass of the individual thing, like an array of lights, logic or a system with a group of modules.

Reaction score
    Erm...I tried it and found the new system rather hard to use...I mean to use it is easy enough but to squeeze the most effectiveness out of it requires stabilizers at ridiculously far distances away from the reactors. I honestly prefer the old system (just reactors).

EDIT: Okay I just realised it is easier to get the max out of it than I think. But you've gotta think about those people that spent like a billion years building their huge ass ship whose creation will become obsolete once this new power system is implemented.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Greetings folks,
    these are my suggestions for the chambers and the reactorsystem itself.
    Pleas feel free to leave feedback on it.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Lancake, will the power update affect all systems on an entity?
    In particular illumination for anything like logic, lights, display blocks, emmissive etc. I would find it more immersive to enter a dead ship that is completely dark, forcing me to use my flashlight. Perhaps using a portable healing/energy supply beam to power systems locally. Perhaps for a length of time befitting the mass of the individual thing, like an array of lights, logic or a system with a group of modules.
    Hm, that's something we haven't considered but in theory should be possible. Not sure how much effort has to be put in this to make it work though.

This may have a performance impact though, as flickering lights will require the lighting of its chunk to be recalculated every time. Not an issue for a few chunks, but if you have lights all over your ship, it would be. There would need to be some "outage" time on lights to prevent it from going on/off too often when there's not enough juice to power it.

We already have quite a lot of work to do, but this is definitely worth looking into at a later point.

Reaction score
    I want Chambers that'll either let me send AoE messages around the ship sector area, or make the light billboards of my ship/station visible from a few sectors away.

Advertising Powers Ho!

Reaction score
    Greetings folks,
    these are my suggestions for the chambers and the reactorsystem itself.
    Pleas feel free to leave feedback on it.
    Gmodism i really like your videos in general. but this one is really hard to follow.
    multiple suggestions you made are already implemented (and were even before you uploaded the video)

it would really be good if you write the suggestions down in the forum becouse watching a 35min Video for something i could read in about 5min is a bit annoying.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Perhaps we could turn the current kinetic effect protection - Explosive effect passive, I believe? - into a shield chamber that doesn't apply if your shields are down. That way, no matter what, if someone's shields go down you can tie them down with stop turrets as normal, but they can have some protection from being insta-snared in combat.

Reaction score
    Gmodism i really like your videos in general. but this one is really hard to follow.
    multiple suggestions you made are already implemented (and were even before you uploaded the video)

it would really be good if you write the suggestions down in the forum becouse watching a 35min Video for something i could read in about 5min is a bit annoying.
    Thank you, You are right that is a better formate for this, just so used making videos for everything. About the FTL (just was your yt comment as well) I failed somehow so I thought it was missing, and the handguns are a bit mundane and expensive right now for letting one drop them in death beeing an option (maybe that is setable as well IDK) but would be nice having it as default!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    DEFENCE:
    • Add more levels to the Powered Armor chamber
    • Add some beneficial effect to the base armor enhancement chamber, or remove the base chambers altogether.
    ---​
    • Shield Type: Kinetic (Provides protection from push/pull/stop if the push/pull/stop weapon hits shields)
    FTL:
    • Remove autocharge chamber; integrate the current auto charge functionality into the jump drive by default. We should've had that functionality to begin with anyway.
    • Move multicharge chamber to its own branch of the FTL tree and off of the Jump Charge Time branch. Normally the utility of multicharge would be most needed/useful when your drive doesn't charge fast, so not giving people that option is silly.
    • Move transporter-related chambers to their own branch, or a new branch of the logistics chambers, or their own chamber tree altogether. No sense tying them into FTL.
    • Add at least one more level to the multicharge chamber.
    ---​
    • Jump Drive Solar Plasma Charger (Provides extra charge speed based on proximity to a star; star types have different modifiers. A red dwarf star might only grant a 5% bonus, but a blue giant or double star might grant a 75% bonus to chargeup speed.)
    • Jump Drive Safety (Will prevent the jump drive from sending you within a star's heat radius or into a wormhole system from a void or star system)
    LOGISTICS:
    • Rail speed chambers shouldn't have a CCap cost. That's silly.
    ---​
    • System Asteroid Mining Bonus (Branches from refining bonus; Provides a mining bonus to faction members (or anyone, if the entity is unclaimed) in the system, costs around 50% chamber capacity, only applies to asteroids)
    • System Salvaging Bonus (Branches from refining bonus; provides a 25% chance to get a capsule or two of raw resources in addition to a block when salvaging, and a separate 10% chance to obtain an extra block, when a faction member is salvaging an overheated ship or a station.)
    MASS:
    • I'd recommend having the gravity chambers cost zero chamber capacity. Also, add multiple levels for all the gravity chambers to change the gravity intensity.
    MOBILITY:
    • Thruster Afterburner (Provides a 75% increase in thrust for 5 seconds; no power cost. 20-second recharge time when afterburner duration ends.)
      • Thruster Afterburner Duration (lvls 1/2; increases afterburner time to 10 seconds then 20 seconds)
      • Thruster Afterburner Power (lvls 1/2; increases afterburner thrust bonus to 150% then 300%)
      • Thruster Afterburner Recharge (lvls 1/2; decreases recharge time to 15 then 10 seconds)
    POWER:
    ...Come to think of it, there should probably be power-efficiency chambers for almost every system under the Power Chamber tree.
    • FTL Power Efficiency (lvls 1/2/3): Move to power chamber tree from FTL
    • Shield Regen Power Efficiency (lvls 1/2/3; 20%, 30%, 50%. High capacity cost for third level.)
    • Missile Recharge Efficiency (lvls 1/2/3, high CCap cost for second level and very high CCap cost for third level. 10% bonus, 25% bonus, 40% bonus. Does not affect resting power consumption, as that should be a hard cap on alpha potential and shouldn't be bypassed with chambers.)
    • Beam Recharge Efficiency (same as above)
    • Cannon Recharge Efficiency (ditto)
    • Pulse Recharge Efficiency (ditto)
    • Mine Layer Recharge Efficiency (soon™; ditto)
    • Support Beam Power Efficiency (ditto, except resting consumption is reduced as well)
    • Mining Power Efficiency (lvls 1/2, high CCap cost for both. 25% then 50% reduction in power consumption.)
    • Engine Power Efficiency (lvls 1/2; 25% then 50%. Second level should have a high CCap cost.)
    These can also go into their respective trees, but as there apparently isn't going to be an offense tree any more, and presumably won't be a tree for things like support tools , it seems more reasonable to consolidate them in the Power tree, or a new Engineering tree.

RECON:

No ideas for these yet.

STEALTH:
    • Separate cloaking, jamming, target-lock evasion, and any other stealth 'tricks' from the stealth strength tree, but make them cost a decent amount of CCap. If someone wants to have crappy temporary cloaking and jamming at the cost of other capabilities, let them. HOWEVER:
    • Tie the cloaking duration chambers to stealth strength, maybe level 4. Infinite low-level cloak/jamming shouldn't be a thing. If you want a longer cloak time, you should also be forced into spending CCap on extra strength. Cooldown reduction should also be tied to strength, if it exists.
    ---​
    • Decoy Radar Signature Emitter (lvls 1/2/3; Creates 1, 3, or 5 fake signal blips depending on level, which drift away from your ship, possibly attracting heat seeking missiles or messing with the ability to target your ship. Visually these can take the form of missile flares, taking on your ship's chosen engine colour.
    • Stealth type: Signature Refractor (Causes your radar signature to appear green on enemy radar. Not useful if they're in the nav panel, but might cause enemies trying to choose targets on the fly to not target you. Has a duration like all other stealth types, and a fairly high CCap cost.)

Reactions: Coyote27
    Reaction score
    (everything)
    Power efficiency chambers seem like they're both unnecessary and uninteresting, since if you need more power you can just make a bigger reactor, and they could introduce balance issues with combat systems and weaponry. For that reason, I'm going to oppose the idea of power efficiency chambers categorically, for mostly the same reasons that I'm opposed to offense chambers categorically.

Everything else that you suggested are good ideas and quite reasonable, so they get a seconding from me.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Power efficiency chambers seem like they're both unnecessary and uninteresting, since if you need more power you can just make a bigger reactor
    I kind of wish you could, but no. There's a maximum reactor output associated with the dimensions (and possibly configuration, if you want to avoid silly reactor placements) of your hull.

Reaction score
    I kind of wish you could, but no. There's a maximum reactor output associated with the dimensions (and possibly configuration, if you want to avoid silly reactor placements) of your hull.
    where?
    you get "unstabilized" min 25 e/s per Reactor block. ther is no upper limmit as far as i have seen.
    100% stabilized you get 100 e/s per Reactor block.... 4 times smaller reactor and i think it was 2/3 or 1/2 amount of used Reactor blocks needed as Stabilizers... also no upper limmit.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    where?
    you get "unstabilized" min 25 e/s per Reactor block. ther is no upper limmit as far as i have seen.
    100% stabilized you get 100 e/s per Reactor block.... 4 times smaller reactor and i think it was 2/3 or 1/2 amount of used Reactor blocks needed as Stabilizers... also no upper limmit.
    If that's the case, that's a change post-200.151 that I haven't checked out yet (I'm about to launch the newest build). In everything I've tested, after the free 10 blocks, reactors give you nothing without stabilizers. Could it be that you were only testing with a 40-block reactor, or do I just need to check out the build... we'll see in a minute.

In any case, at the time the quoted message was posted, reactors did nothing after the 10 blocks. :P
    [doublepost=1509760148,1509758745][/doublepost]...Nope. Antikristianos , unstabilized reactor blocks beyond 10 still do nothing:

(the 1.0% is the free stabilization. If it is as you say, then I should be getting something like 25000 e/s from this group ignoring free stabilization. Instead, the only power I'm getting comes from free stabilization. :P)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ah i see... unstabilized you wont get much power out of bigger reactors...

but if you stabilize it i dont see a limmit

this is only a Level 38 Reactor:

ok for a reactor this zize you have to place your stabilizers 1150m from your reactor to get 100% Stabilization out of the stabilizer blocks.
    but the system is still w.i.p. so this may change.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Do chambers still all have the same cost?
    My guess is this will be one of the last things that get added for fine-tuning balance. It just doesn't make sense right now.
    To answer your question, yes, as of 0.200.153 all chamber blocks cost 100 credits if you buy them, or one mesh to produce.