• Panels!

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Nothing at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    1) Remote controlled ships
    Every time i build something i have that noisy idea in my head: "how awesome it would be to have someone to fetch some blocks i'm currently lacking. Just simple run to the shop and back, no big deal". But i'm a loner, that's my playstyle. It has it's perks, but on the other side i have to do everything on my own. Including chores like buying stuff and mapping area around me.
    What i mean - it would be nice to have a possibility to control ship from afar. Give it orders to fly somewhere, interact with stations/ships, or just float somewhere in space and pretend not to be there.
    Place computer on ship, then place control block somewhere else and enter it. Ta-dah. Interface for RC can probably look like one in build mode, with set of buttons to give orders like "go to sector N"; "fly to object X"; "destroy object X"; "manually turn on/off systems" and etc.
    I'd personally use them to buy stuff from shops without distracting from building.

Possible cons to balance it out:
    I. Cost. Blocks just can be expensive.
    II. One control block can control only one ship.
    III. You can have this ability only on station.
    IV. Range, at which those ships can receive orders, defined by antennae array you currently have on board. So, if you want to manage pretty big army at good distances, you'll have to build some impressive satellite dishes.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    2) Mobility enhancers
    I'm bad at names... But anyway, that type of blocks' supposed to increase turning speed. As a guy, who's fond of big ships it makes me die inside a little to see those things turning like a sloth in slow-mo. Especially if amount of thrusters allows to get to 100 in 2 seconds, which looks kinda ridiculous in comparison. So... I'd like to have a possibility to make one of the problems go away. Or, at least, less painful.

Cons:
    I. Energy costs.
    3) Ghost ships
    They're like derelicts, but active and dangerous. And, maybe, travel from sector to sector, looking for stuff to destroy. Ultra rare but can spawn/suddenly jump into your sector, and make your life a little more complicated. 'Cause space can be just too boring sometimes, and pirates are finite. After dealing with you they can either jump away/disappear, or just stay there, to amuse strangers.
    But i already can see a lot of people crying over their sudden death, so it's a complicated point to implement into game.

Cons:
    I. Rarity of incidents.
    II. There can be not only some capital ships, but small ones too.
    4) Solar panels
    I've seen that idea here, but...
    Bigger output than reactors, but must face sun in order to work. Can get bonuses if stacked in one big panel.

Cons:
    I. Can be placed only on stations. For more space-ey looks.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Y'know, there's an appeal to having players/NPCs, or living creatures anyway in ships to fight.

RC ships would DEFINITELY ruin a lot of that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Having crew - one thing. Being able to manipulate ship from big distances - another.
    And so far living creatures is a good idea to have on board, but i can't see why we should be limited by them, when we already can have ships controlled by AI.
    And by the way, RC will allow people to have more power in singleplayer mode, or if they're in one-man faction in multiplayer.

So far i can't see, why this idea can't be implemented. It might make other features less important, but there's nothing that can't be balanced.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1) Remote controlled ships
    Every time i build something i have that noisy idea in my head: "how awesome it would be to have someone to fetch some blocks i'm currently lacking. Just simple run to the shop and back, no big deal". But i'm a loner, that's my playstyle. It has it's perks, but on the other side i have to do everything on my own. Including chores like buying stuff and mapping area around me.
    What i mean - it would be nice to have a possibility to control ship from afar. Give it orders to fly somewhere, interact with stations/ships, or just float somewhere in space and pretend not to be there.
    Place computer on ship, then place control block somewhere else and enter it. Ta-dah. Interface for RC can probably look like one in build mode, with set of buttons to give orders like "go to sector N"; "fly to object X"; "destroy object X"; "manually turn on/off systems" and etc.
    I'd personally use them to buy stuff from shops without distracting from building.

Possible cons to balance it out:
    I. Cost. Blocks just can be expensive.
    II. One control block can control only one ship.
    III. You can have this ability only on station.
    IV. Range, at which those ships can receive orders, defined by antennae array you currently have on board. So, if you want to manage pretty big army at good distances, you'll have to build some impressive satellite dishes.
    2) Mobility enhancers
    I'm bad at names... But anyway, that type of blocks' supposed to increase turning speed. As a guy, who's fond of big ships it makes me die inside a little to see those things turning like a sloth in slow-mo. Especially if amount of thrusters allows to get to 100 in 2 seconds, which looks kinda ridiculous in comparison. So... I'd like to have a possibility to make one of the problems go away. Or, at least, less painful.

Cons:
    I. Energy costs.
    3) Ghost ships
    They're like derelicts, but active and dangerous. And, maybe, travel from sector to sector, looking for stuff to destroy. Ultra rare but can spawn/suddenly jump into your sector, and make your life a little more complicated. 'Cause space can be just too boring sometimes, and pirates are finite. After dealing with you they can either jump away/disappear, or just stay there, to amuse strangers.
    But i already can see a lot of people crying over their sudden death, so it's a complicated point to implement into game.

Cons:
    I. Rarity of incidents.
    II. There can be not only some capital ships, but small ones too.
    4) Solar panels
    I've seen that idea here, but...
    Bigger output than reactors, but must face sun in order to work. Can get bonuses if stacked in one big panel.

Cons:
    I. Can be placed only on stations. For more space-ey looks.
    If you are going to post another person's idea and discussion you really should give credit. The remote ship part is taken from Keptick and my discussion. http://starmadedock.net/threads/remote-control.21374/#post-236778
    You either didn't read it fully or didn't understand the discussion and their biggest fear was people sending many of these ships. Cost alone wouldn't be enough of a deterrent. The control block would need to be rare and you could only posses one at time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I came up with this idea entirely on my own, and didn't see this post before. Was it because i was blind, lazy, or stupid - you get to choose your own answer.
    Inability to build this type of blocks would seem arbitrary, considering every other block being buildable(unless it was rendered unobtainable in game). You'll have to come up with some story to begin with.
    And one block at the time? Then some troll will just have to build carrier with AI ships docked all over the hull. After that all he need to do - bring this thing on place and undock everything.

Though, i think it would be nice to add another problem with having RC ship - this thing will not only require big scanner antenna, if you want to operate beyond your own sector, you'll also have to think of the energy costs - ship will constantly drain energy resources from it's controller, and giving orders also can require additional boost. Y'know, sending signal into space.
    And bigger the ship - bigger the costs.

Yeah, RC is pretty imbalanced mechanics.
    But arguments i've seen against it can be applied to current state of game:
    Flooding someone with ships?
    Dock few ships on one big and undock them where you want.
    RC though, will allow to move those thing around more efficiently, and get those with most damage away to save them. So trolling will be easier (not that i approve it).

Now i need someone to point where i'm wrong.