Remote control

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    To bad there isn't remote cameras. You could control the craft forward,back,left,right,up and down. Just no yaw and pitch or role if push could be changed directions. Yep had to try it.

I could think of a lot of nasty things to do with something like this given a few more functions. Imaging building stealth ships and putting warheads on them and parking them close to docked ships. You could mine areas of space or ports.

You could also park a remote stealth ship and use it to spy on others.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I could think of a lot of nasty things to do with something like this given a few more functions. Imaging building stealth ships and putting warheads on them and parking them close to docked ships. You could mine areas of space or ports.

You could also park a remote stealth ship and use it to spy on others.
    This exactly why we don't have remote control...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

This exactly why we don't have remote control...
    We also can't turn on cloaking or jamming remotely. If we could we could just fly a stealth ship up the location and drop it off or tow a mine into place.

Just think it would be more fun if some stuff resembled more of what we can do in real life such as laying mines, remote cameras, remote control, Homing systems

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    We also can't turn on cloaking or jamming remotely. If we could we could just fly a stealth ship up the location and drop it off or tow a mine into place.

Just think it would be more fun if some stuff resembled more of what we can do in real life such as laying mines, remote cameras, remote control, Homing systems
    My point exactly, it'd be super OP considering you couldn't die.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    My point exactly, it'd be super OP considering you couldn't die.
    There is always going to be someone Over Powered to another person.
    There is always going to be someone who is better at solving problems better tactically and so on. Given the ability to build and design someone is going to always be better at that and figure out how to get the most out of something.

Sometimes the person you fight is going to splatter you like a gnat other times it can be the other way around.

It really isn't that OP if you get down to it. war heads do damage based on a radial area when you put two side beside they don't do much more damage.

Besides that if both sides or all sides have the ability that makes it pretty fair game for both. Mines are a lot more balancing than a new player taking on an established player!

In fact it would give a new player some chance of protecting his/her territory from a more established player. People would have to proceed with caution into unknown areas. Using their systems to decloak mines and destroy them.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It isn't going to be OP but I'd say limiting this to say being within a loaded sector range would be a good idea. Also why make a new block for this when we don't have too? Wifi Blocks on each ship connected to the cores of them but also connected to the cameras you want to remote into. Remoting into the other ship from another ship like this would have plenty of risks but it also means you don't have to worry about things either. So yes you'd be able to control the other ship you remote into but also the ship you were controlling just keeps doing whatever it was last doing.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There is always going to be someone Over Powered to another person.
    There is always going to be someone who is better at solving problems better tactically and so on. Given the ability to build and design someone is going to always be better at that and figure out how to get the most out of something.

Sometimes the person you fight is going to splatter you like a gnat other times it can be the other way around.

It really isn't that OP if you get down to it. war heads do damage based on a radial area when you put two side beside they don't do much more damage.

Besides that if both sides or all sides have the ability that makes it pretty fair game for both. Mines are a lot more balancing than a new player taking on an established player!

In fact it would give a new player some chance of protecting his/her territory from a more established player. People would have to proceed with caution into unknown areas. Using their systems to decloak mines and destroy them.
    Yea, so I'd just steamroll enemies with a remote controlled titan, and even if I die it doesn't matter because I can INSTANTLY deploy a new one without leaving the comfort of my invincible homebase. Doesn't matter if both people have access to it, it'd be over powered as hell and make the game boring.

Unless it has limitations like very short range, of course, but you didn't specify that.

Reaction score
    A suggestion, instead of outright control, how about a decent ai program that would allow us to set ai to run or abort run of a set sequence based upon certain events. possible commands.

hold
    chase hostile x number of kms
    hold and fire at hostile
    follow hostile
    harass hostile
    hold until X thing is destroyed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In truth we some what mine areas as it is. Is there a things stopping a fleet from dragging a number of large turrets into location and surrounding a base with them.

Yea, so I'd just steamroll enemies with a remote controlled titan, and even if I die it doesn't matter because I can INSTANTLY deploy a new one without leaving the comfort of my invincible homebase. Doesn't matter if both people have access to it, it'd be over powered as hell and make the game boring.

Unless it has limitations like very short range, of course, but you didn't specify that.
    The entire idea of posting something like this is to give people a chance to chime in and offer improvements and stuff or objections. So why not simple suggest the limitation you propose.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    In truth we some what mine areas as it is. Is there a things stopping a fleet from dragging a number of large turrets into location and surrounding a base with them.

The entire idea of posting something like this is to give people a chance to chime in and offer improvements and stuff or objections. So why not simple suggest the limitation you propose.
    Because there's like three threads (or more) on remote control already, no offense but it's not a new idea.

Also, minelayers are a planned weapon, no idea when we'll be getting it though.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    One limitation could be this only works in loaded sectors, so when the remote controlled ship goes out into unloaded space it stops responding to player input.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Because there's like three threads (or more) on remote control already, no offense but it's not a new idea.

Also, minelayers are a planned weapon, no idea when we'll be getting it though.
    Sorry, Keptic I gone through a bit of the forums there are a few short threads on mines. I only check the first 3 or 4 pages. The search system pulls into much stuff not related. Like it such as mining when you search mines. They didn't build in the minus sign so you could eliminate words you don't want to see.

Remote control comes up with every form of remote control such as what you just implemented as wireless. It also comes up with remote viewing. Then there was the thread on a remote control car base.

There is also nothing said about it on trello.

I get your point of it can be over powering. To me that isn't a stop all end all issue. I guess for you that is.
    The way I look at issues like that is what can be done to make it so it isn't.
    Example:
    You can have only 1 remote craft in existence at a time. So the other would need to be destroyed or recalled for reuse.
    Limit it in range.
    Make it costly to build - if the only way it could be crafted was with a rare item that you find once in a blue moon and can't be bought or sold at shops people would be less likely to want to waste it.
    Limit the size of ship that can be controlled.

In short you and I just have two different ways at looking at a problem.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Sorry, Keptic I gone through a bit of the forums there are a few short threads on mines. I only check the first 3 or 4 pages. The search system pulls into much stuff not related. Like it such as mining when you search mines. They didn't build in the minus sign so you could eliminate words you don't want to see.

Remote control comes up with every form of remote control such as what you just implemented as wireless. It also comes up with remote viewing. Then there was the thread on a remote control car base.

There is also nothing said about it on trello.

I get your point of it can be over powering. To me that isn't a stop all end all issue. I guess for you that is.
    The way I look at issues like that is what can be done to make it so it isn't.
    Example:
    You can have only 1 remote craft in existence at a time. So the other would need to be destroyed or recalled for reuse.
    Limit it in range.
    Make it costly to build - if the only way it could be crafted was with a rare item that you find once in a blue moon and can't be bought or sold at shops people would be less likely to want to waste it.
    Limit the size of ship that can be controlled.

In short you and I just have two different ways at looking at a problem.
    Yea that I can agree with. Believe it or not I'd like remote control too, just not something that'll turn into the ultimate troll weapon :P

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yea that I can agree with. Believe it or not I'd like remote control too, just not something that'll turn into the ultimate troll weapon :p
    I get it. You have to think how it effects others and how it fits in the game.
    When I got to see the type of concerns you had with it it told me what I needed to offer a solution to them.
    If there is one thing I am good at is finding solutions to stuff.