Recognized Raw Resources used in Shipyard BP Construction

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This might be worth thinking about. I propose that when constructing a ship using a shipyard a player should have the option of using a combination of already existing blocks and raw resources to complete a ship.

Basically, let's take the resource calculator http://starmadedock.net/content/mscc-megacrafter127s-ship-resource-calculator.2481/ made by Megacrafter127 a step further and put an option in the ini that allows players to put raw resources directly into a shipyard. If you're worried about this being OP, put in options that would make this slightly less efficient than crafting them.

Solve the issue of huge ships being made absurdly quickly by implementing a time penalty. Maybe even allow factory enhancers to be attached to a shipyard to alleviate a bit of that penalty. Allow resources to be deposited in smaller batches, cutting down on overall construction time.

This is just a quick solution I thought up for the problem of crafting being a brutally tedious and imprecise art form. At present, a massive ship requires having a slew of factories working with different amounts of enhancers to churn out hundreds of different block types in wildly different amounts.

At present, crafting even a medium sized ship with a lot of detail can take hours, hours that you are forced to spend slaving over a complex network of factories instead of actually playing the game. Obviously nobody should be able to gobble up a planet and spit out a cruiser in 5 minutes, but restricting players' access to complex ships by imposing unnecessarily menial labor on them is just bad game design. There are other options.

Edit:
    Mariux hit it right on the head with this I think.
    Or just have the option of linking factories to the shipyard computer and allow it to automagicly craft missing blocks.

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This might be worth thinking about. I propose that when constructing a ship using a shipyard a player should have the option of using a combination of already existing blocks and raw resources to complete a ship.

Basically, let's take the resource calculator http://starmadedock.net/content/mscc-megacrafter127s-ship-resource-calculator.2481/ made by Megacrafter127 a step further and put an option in the ini that allows players to put raw resources directly into a shipyard. If you're worried about this being OP, put in options that would make this slightly less efficient than crafting them.

Solve the issue of huge ships being made absurdly quickly by implementing a time penalty. Maybe even allow factory enhancers to be attached to a shipyard to alleviate a bit of that penalty. Allow resources to be deposited in smaller batches, cutting down on overall construction time.

This is just a quick solution I thought up for the problem of crafting being a brutally tedious and imprecise art form. At present, a massive ship requires having a slew of factories working with different amounts of enhancers to churn out hundreds of different block types in wildly different amounts.

At present, crafting even a medium sized ship with a lot of detail can take hours, hours that you are forced to spend slaving over a complex network of factories instead of actually playing the game. Obviously nobody should be able to gobble up a planet and spit out a cruiser in 5 minutes, but restricting players' access to complex ships by imposing unnecessarily menial labor on them is just bad game design. There are other options.
    Or just have the option of linking factories to the shipyard computer and allow it to automagicly craft missing blocks.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    OHHHHHHHHH

Factories linked to the shipyard? YES PLEASE.

I would prefer that it auto-ques for construction in factories linked to it rather than deleting raw resources and spawning in blocks.
    So if you have a shipyard with only 1 factory of each type and no factory enhancers, it will only be pulling 3 blocks per tick.

But if you have a couple thousand factory enhancers, you will be set. :)

It would actually make me like using shipyards, right now they mess up wireless logic blocks, inner ship remotes, display screen outputs, and docked turrets when using shipyards.
    Currently too much of a hassle, but if the process was significantly streamlined like this, AMAZING.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    YES PLEASE.
    It's getting harder and harder to get even a small ship in now. This'll alleviate part of that problem by making it more streamlined.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That would be one way of doing this; I hope you don't mind me adding that to the OP.

Reaction score
    I think linking factories and having them auto craft blocks would be awesome. It would help vastly in making shipyards the new standard as far as building ships. I think it would also be a fair restriction that the factories can only work on one block type per tick. You still need to setup efficient factory systems to make ships, but it would eliminate the tedium of having to craft each different block.

Reaction score
    Please Schine, please, I feel like killing myself with how tedious it is to make ships.
    mine-open-close-open-clos-ohnotenoughminerals-mine-open-close-move-produce-open-close-mine-open-close-ohwaitidonthaveenoughoresforthelast100cannonblocks-mine-close-open-shipyerd-close-wait-open-yunowork-open-close-activate-shipcomplet.

It's just ridiculously tedious with how the factory system is so segregated from the shipyard system.

I want to mine the ores needed to build a ship, have a list of those ores, come back, place them in the shipyard, have the factories take that stuff, produce everything that is needed for the ships, and after maybe 10 minutes the ship is constructed. Not this mindblowingly tedious process of which we have to singlehandedly micromanage all the small little inventories to produce the right amount of blocks.

Bench what do you think?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. This has been a massive issue ever since the first blueprint change, and nothing's been done to alleviate it since all the way back then... The things being added are great, but issues like this are what cause the community to dwindle to just builders, and stop any meaningful faction war from happening.

Tagging Bench as well.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. This has been a massive issue ever since the first blueprint change, and nothing's been done to alleviate it since all the way back then... The things being added are great, but issues like this are what cause the community to dwindle to just builders, and stop any meaningful faction war from happening.

Tagging Bench as well.
    May I help in this satanic ritual of summoning Bench ?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Myself and a couple others on the dev team have recently been discussing ways to make factory management a whole lot simpler so that once you have set stuff up you don't have to micro-manage as much. So I guess, watch this space.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Myself and a couple others on the dev team have recently been discussing ways to make factory management a whole lot simpler so that once you have set stuff up you don't have to micro-manage as much. So I guess, watch this space.
    Cool beans. Does the thread get a cool tag or something?

Reaction score
    ooooh yessssss

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Damn, it worked

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes something like this idea would help. Being able to link a Shipyard to a factory and have the thing craft what it needs would solve a lot of headaches. :)

Reaction score
    I sort of think factories(or some factory control menu linked to factories) should have a production que with different amounts of different items in a list(like the space engineers assembler system). It could be linked to shipyards and other factories as well and autoque up all the needed blocks. Ie: I que up 10,000 advanced armor, 20 faction blocks, 1276 force fields, and 145 cannon, missle, and beam computers. And I can have my assembly line all hidden in the walls or something so I don't have to go to each factory and link up just enough enhancers to get the right amount of force fields or stand arround for hours waiting. You could prioritize too, so you could have some factories constantly making advanced armor, but in emergencies make shields or weapons or cores.

It's always both really annoying and really wasteful when you forget to turn off your factories, go build a ship, and come back to find your out of everything and your storages are full of like 1,000,000 savage beams and 200,000 blast doors, with the current economy that can really crash a player finacially.

Not to powerful, just useful

Edit: This thread is kind of what I'm talking about:http://starmadedock.net/threads/limit-factory-production.20751/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm going to give this a little pop to get it up on top, see if people have changed their mind or something or maybe have even better ideas to this.

Reaction score
    I'd like it if NPCs would manage the factories for you, automatically switching the factories functions to build the correct parts. Mainly just so I could head into a factory and see them at work.