Rail Docking Clamps

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I want to know if anyone has tried to make extending docking clamps that can be docked on when deployed, and allow the ship to dock to another clamp when not deployed. I will attempt to develop a similar system for the Solomon-Class, but I feel I should see what the community has done thus far, since I never tried this before.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Do you have an example of what your talking about. You're talking about an extendable docking clamp on a station, or a mother-ship right. There's no reason why you can't have multiple docking points, extendable or not

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Do you have an example of what your talking about. You're talking about an extendable docking clamp on a station, or a mother-ship right. There's no reason why you can't have multiple docking points, extendable or not
    The idea is to have an extending docking clamp that can be docked to when extended, and be used to dock when retracted. This is so that my new battleship is can dock/be docked to another without it looking too stupid. The issue that will need some kind of advanced workaround is that I also want both ships to properly orient forward relative to each other. That will require rail trickery.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    so if this is going on a ship than it needs to have both a Rail and a Rail Docker. The trick is going to be docking "through" a docked entity, ie the extended docking clamp.

May I suggest having an extending docking arm that is built around but not attached to a docker block. While the docker block is actually attached to the Mother Ship. So the docker block is directly attached to mother ship and doesn't move. the docking arm would extend around the docker block... if that makes sense.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Totally makes sense. But you would either be missing a corner, or have a deformed-looking clamp. Of course, you could use rails to slide the missing/dislocated other piece in place of the docker when extended, to allow the ships to orient together, and maintain compatibility for other docking methods. Perhaps I should try to make a prototype, which if I, or someone else is successful, This thread might evolve into an Extending Docking Clamp Showcase

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Totally makes sense. But you would either be missing a corner, or have a deformed-looking clamp. Of course, you could use rails to slide the missing/dislocated other piece in place of the docker when extended, to allow the ships to orient together, and maintain compatibility for other docking methods. Perhaps I should try to make a prototype, which if I, or someone else is successful, This thread might evolve into an Extending Docking Clamp Showcase
    It would probably be easier to fill the "missing/dislocated other piece" with a plex door (or a blast door depending on color). Rails have no problem navigating through doors when the're open.