Question to people with AMD gpus

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Anyone who has radeon hd 7+++ or r9 2++ can you please tell me your average fps when at the spawn. This is because I get ridiculously low fps for my system for an r9 280x. I typed on the internet "minecraft low fps with good pc". I typed minecraft because I also get low fps in minecraft and since both are java games I concluded there must be the same issue affecting both games. I then see 90% of people complaining about their minecraft fps also had AMD cards.

Reaction score
    I have a radeon hd4250 and running 2 monitors. I have everything set pretty low, if not off in the game settings, including advanced settings. I play the game in 1024x768 window(not full screen). My frame rate varies from decent to very bad, depending on my f.o.v. I've pretty much given up on building large ships or anything big, for that matter. Just having a space station in my field of view makes movement clunky. The game is awesome enough that this is not a deal breaker, but the ability build something and have it not cripple game play would be nice. I have 2 ships are carriers that probably will never see completion because they've become to much of a chore to move around and place blocks. ...and judging by awesome and inspiring screenshots others have uploaded. my ships are big, but not nearly as big as many I have seen. I remind myself that the game is in alpha. I just hope they find a work around later on. I'm a Linux user as well, and as such this, game is a godsend. Thanks devs. This games scope also makes the decision of maybe having to buy a different video-card an easy choice. although a fix would be better. ...um, I gotta get back.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have a radeon hd4250...This games scope also makes the decision of maybe having to buy a different video-card an easy choice. although a fix would be better. ...um, I gotta get back.
    mhm, now I wish that I had chosen the gtx 770 instead of r9 280x :(

Reaction score
    "mhm, now I wish that I had chosen the gtx 770 instead of r9 280x"

I feel you.

for me, at my "we'll be paying you in warm smiles and peanuts", a new card is going to hard to come by. They chose java as a platform for its portability (I think). Now if they would just put some effort into better supporting amd... well... a guy can dream.

Reaction score
    Anyone who has radeon hd 7+++ or r9 2++ can you please tell me your average fps when at the spawn. This is because I get ridiculously low fps for my system for an r9 280x. I typed on the internet "minecraft low fps with good pc". I typed minecraft because I also get low fps in minecraft and since both are java games I concluded there must be the same issue affecting both games. I then see 90% of people complaining about their minecraft fps also had AMD cards.
    I have a 7850 and have no performance problems on maximum settings for MC, and with this game I tend to crank it a little higher than defaults with FPS of 250 or so. I heard the R9's have some problems. :/ Drivers up to date? Maybe try beta drivers or if on beta, older drivers may even work better? Or perhaps you happen to have a bad card in some way. Is it just Java giving you issues or do other games have problems?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have a 7850 and have no performance problems on maximum settings for MC, and with this game I tend to crank it a little higher than defaults with FPS of 250 or so. I heard the R9's have some problems. :/ Drivers up to date? Maybe try beta drivers or if on beta, older drivers may even work better? Or perhaps you happen to have a bad card in some way. Is it just Java giving you issues or do other games have problems?
    yes just java :(

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i've tried old drivers, up to date drivers and beta drivers with no improvement

it only improves immensely when I reinstall windows, but as soon as i install drivers it is bad again, and then if i uninstall drivers it is still bad, the drivers "infected" starmade

Reaction score
    Is the card running at full power and just being shitty? Or does it idle? Do you have integrated graphics? It might be that for some reason Java is selecting your integrated graphics instead of the card.

Have you tried perhaps different versions of Java?

I also found this which may or may not help at all while looking stuff up (it's about tweaking card settings, you might find something useful): http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026...-tweaking-your-gpus-most-arcane-settings.html

Sorry if I can't help you fix it, but I've tried my best. Good luck!

Reaction score
    I'm using a Rana x3 AMD CPU, CL9 RAM, and a Radeon HD 7700 (1gb). I can get "Decent" (80-120) frame rates (medium-ish graphics setting). I'm using a .bat with the following...

@ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    java.exe -Xrs -Xmx2048m -Xms512m -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:+UseThreadPriorities -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+ReduceSignalUsage -XX:+UseInterpreter -XX:+UseFastEmptyMethods -XX:+UseSharedSpaces -XX:AllocatePrefetchStyle=1 -XX:+AlwaysCompileLoopMethods -XX:SharedReadOnlySize=30m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+RewriteFrequentPairs -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+CMSCleanOnEnter -XX:+UseSplitVerifier -XX:+UseInlineCaches -jar starmade.jar -client

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm using a Rana x3 AMD CPU, CL9 RAM, and a Radeon HD 7700 (1gb). I can get "Decent" (80-120) frame rates (medium-ish graphics setting). I'm using a .bat with the following...

@ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    java.exe -Xrs -Xmx2048m -Xms512m -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:+UseThreadPriorities -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+ReduceSignalUsage -XX:+UseInterpreter -XX:+UseFastEmptyMethods -XX:+UseSharedSpaces -XX:AllocatePrefetchStyle=1 -XX:+AlwaysCompileLoopMethods -XX:SharedReadOnlySize=30m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+RewriteFrequentPairs -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+CMSCleanOnEnter -XX:+UseSplitVerifier -XX:+UseInlineCaches -jar starmade.jar -client
    can you fully load, say a 1000 000 mass ships whitout going below 60? because if you do it is really low for 3 gpus.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The problem is that I can barely load more than a single piece of a dodechedron planet without going below 60 fps. in spawn and most places where i do not load a lot it is fine, but i can never play/be around big ships.

Reaction score
    can you fully load, say a 1000 000 mass ships whitout going below 60? because if you do it is really low for 3 gpus.
    I also usually keep firefox open with anywhere between 6-16 tabs. (I've noticed that if I leave firefox open for 6+ hours that way my CPU load shoots to like 60% across all 3. Until, I close and re open firefox) I also need to reformat but I've been putting it off. I'm going to load up a Brigadier real quick and let you know.

Reaction score
    So far without using the bat, my 2267 block frame is giving me...40-100 FPS. Loading the SFW Polaris produces the same. FPS stabalizes around 80-100. I'm going to have to look over the .Bat some more, it was working fine for me a few updates ago. (It's giving me the same 80-100).

Any case my settings are...

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    What is the load on yo cpu cores ? .. my 280x seems not very impressed by starmade! ...

oh and switch off shadows !

Reaction score
    • Tester
    350+ ... but where i spawn is totaly different from where you do spawn! so .. i do not know !

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Ok .. i just checked !
    Started a new universe, searched myself a planet, got in orbit 185+ FPS on 1680x1050, while running 2 browsers with a lot of tabs and watching babylon 5 from DVD

i5-4570K , 8GB, R9 280X Driver 14.4 ... maybe your FX6100 (if i remember you mentioning that right!) isnt up to the task ????

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ok .. i just checked !
    Started a new universe, searched myself a planet, got in orbit 185+ FPS on 1680x1050, while running 2 browsers with a lot of tabs and watching babylon 5 from DVD

i5-4570K , 8GB, R9 280X Driver 14.4 ... maybe your FX6100 (if i remember you mentioning that right!) isnt up to the task ????
    nah its nothing with the hardware its some software problem, fx 6100 is a six core processor with 3.3 ghz sigh so annoying

Reaction score
    Maybe you could try a reformat, use PS/2 mouse/keyboard (or don't uninstall your USB keyboard mouse/drivers if you can get away with it.) Then dont allow any MS updates, just update your graphics drivers, then downlaod the 64 bit java and run it that way. Looks like you'll have to hunt down exactly what driver updates bugs it

-edit-
    is vsync off ?