Question: Fleet Mining

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Curious - does anyone know if there's a particular technical reason why the fleet mine command is MINE THIS SECTOR rather than MINE (as in, "mine everything loaded within sight of the command ship"), or is this more likely some form of control to prevent too much AFK mining (ie to limit it to about what you could manually mine in 2 minutes, but requiring way longer and more effort because carriers are a bit wonky)?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    They need to broaden the command to include entities other than rocks for mining, too. A friend was trying to salvage a station last week and I asked my drones to help out. They are more picky than a Friskies cat.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Least yours freaking work.

I haven't been able to get a drone to mine in MONTHS, no matter how I freaking build them.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Least yours freaking work.

I haven't been able to get a drone to mine in MONTHS, no matter how I freaking build them.
    I do have a nice basic mining drone template. Finally. And they do work. I find that any frills (slaved salvage effects, additional systems, etc) make them more likely to fail, as does too much thrust (more than 2:1 in my experience)somehow, but I use 4 of them, and I can park near a good cluster, order mining, window out and do some work, then window back in 15 minutes later and they're typically done with the whole cluster.

I just wish they could mine the neighboring clusters as well since they're loaded and in sight. Certainly my personal miner can melt whole clusters in <2 minutes and eat a whole belt in an hour, which is awesome when I need tons of materials right now, but a lot of times I'm chatting, watching YouTube, reading through forums, on the phone, making food, etc. The drones are great; I can make a slow, steady income while mostly doing other things. Letting them mine everything loaded in sight would mean less maintenance, less windowing back and forth, which may sound OP, but it would still take them 30-45 minutes to clear every sector loaded around me and we can manually mine 5 times that much when have the time to, so it's still limited.

Plus, the really big balance is vulnerability. Whatever the level of productivity from passive mining, one must assume a percentage of loss because every so often some hungry player pirate is going to catch you with your windows down and you lose the whole haul plus the fleet (which is another reason I keep my mining stuff cheap, industrial, disposable - reduce overhead and loss within my playstyle).

I think better passive mining would improve flexibility of playstyles and be more accommodating for players with less active time to play. It also provides legitimate reason for predators to occasionally do some hunting with a fast ship and a scanner. ;)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh yeah, I've had working mining drones before.

One day my drones just stopped working for no apparent reason. I've rebuilt them from scratch, I've built entirely new ones, I can't get anything to work. I give the mining order, and they just sit there going "Derp" until I finally take pity on them and tell 'em to stand down.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    That sucks. Broken by an update perhaps.

It certainly is not easy. Every time I start making a mining drone template, I literally have to do it 3-5 times until I get one that works. Same process, same components. Not sure the difference. Once I get a core that works, I expand it, skin it, and replicate it though because once it works it just does.

I CAN get my drones to mine adjacent sectors, while I'm not in them. I can set them to mine then run to shop and tweak out my mothership while they work. They just won't move from sector to sector on their own. I guess perhaps this is another point where queued commands would be just brilliant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I made a fairly basic mining drone - single beam, salv+can; I think it is either 15 or 20 salvage blocks. I ran into problems trying to use multiple beams. They're not particularly powerful, but they're small enough that I carry 14 on the miner I built for them. The server host upped the size of asteroids on the server I play on, so I can't give a meaningful comparison for how efficient they are, but they do the job if you want to mine while making dinner or something. As with MacThule, I have a heavy miner that will eat rocks just by looking at 'em (~45 sec. per asteroid,) if I need to get personally involved.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I just uploaded a copy of my most recent casual miner (drone/primary split as opposed to just a giant primary mining array, for more casual play and earning while chatting). The drones on it use multiple groupings and work for me on multiple servers and in SP. I had to try a lot of different configurations to get multiple groups to work... they really prefer single beam, but I want them to work harder so I told them where they could stuff their single beam XD

Be interesting to find out if the drones work for you, Edymnion.

Thing is, eventually they do hit issues, but so does the whole game. I only have to re-log slightly more often while drone mining than I do any other time. If they get stupid, just recall them, relog, and try again. Or try moving to another sector. Honestly though when they mine they usually don't stop or break until I do something like change ships; then I have to totally quit to desktop and relog.

A really fun trick I discovered is using a permacloak carrier to deploy the drones, cloaking while you AFK mine, then not recalling them until you are ready to uncloak and head back to base. Keeps you mostly safe while your drones work.

Last edited: