Q&S: Long time supporter first time poster

Reaction score
    So I am going to start off by saying, as a very long time follower Schine have done an excellent job up until this point. Especially re: Planet Generation. So smooth now, very wow.

With that said i understand that, that ability was the precursor to what i am curious about now. And the reason i held back asking until now.

1) Will there be varients in planet sizes?
    2) Will there be moons for planets?
    3) Asteroids, Will there be bigger ones; Asteroid belts?

I must say that i don't expect these things. I am just curious. Seeing the growth of this game, at this point to me its like Dwarf Fortress. I couldn't care less how much longer it is in alpha. Especially with recent developments (the moving parts, wow).

Also, is there any chance there could possibly be a return of the "Disc World" styled planets? Possibly other styles? Say a Ringworld, Series of connected asteroids etc. Heck, even artificial platforms in either slum or rich style. In other words, multiple different ways systems are made up. A touch of fantasy would be awesome. Binary+ Systems?

Along with the previous idea, will there be planetary NPCs?
    An idea that may not be implimentable but i feel would be cool to suggest eiteher way would perhaps on the main site you peeps have a "creature builder" that people could create both animals, primitives and civilised races. That i guess could be pie in the sky though.

Also, the ability to choose the orientation of gravity by block selection or grav block orientation would be good. possibly an offset plane way of setting the absolute top/bottom.That way if you build an omni directional space station (or even space ship) you could adequately orient peeps.

Another suggestion is a personal remote. One that is directly hooked up to your ships systems so you can remotely access systems. But Make it so only the ships owner can give permissions for others to posess remotes. Possibly by having a root permission upon creation that can then go on and delegate and then create a key for them.

I ask these questions because the biggest complaint i have from my friends is the game feels "sterile" and they aren't wrong.
    Last edited by 404: Gamer Not Found; 8 minutes ago
    [doublepost=1473765029,1473764739][/doublepost]Just another thought to add as far as community is concerned. Perhaps a way people can build structures and save them to contribute to a random gen library too along with creatures/npcs

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Planet and asteroid sizes are already variable, and configurable in server.cfg!

As for moons, you can sorta create your own, or get lucky and have a small planet spawn next to a large one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Rogue_13 glad you joined us from steam.
    Welcome to the main forums.
    I have building designs saved as a ship blueprints. That way I can create a landing zone on a planet and dock the buildings and turrets so having a base set up quick!

Have a read of this: StarMade Active Development Timeline

Answers some questions, creates lots more and will drive you crazy in anticipation!

Reaction score
    Welcome to the forums.

I believe moons and planet types are indeed planned, but details on them are currently scarce. As for disk worlds, I don't think they're coming back but in the community content you can find:

City Planet
    Pyramid Planet

Likewise with the other suggestions you made such as ringworlds etc. The devs only really have limited man power since it's a small team, but there's nothing stopping the community supplying these types of things. As improvements are made to the NPC system etc so the community built stations can be inhabited we should see some interesting things come out.

On the subject of NPCs they have a few overhauls planned in the upcoming months, but they're a little further back in the timeline. Fauna and creatures on the planets are planned also.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Great questions! I curious about answers to your planet, moon and asteroid belt questions to.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Lets see if I can answer this as best as I can
    1. Planets: Yes there will be more types of planets as well as improvements to current planets (rumor has it we might get spherical blocky planets)
    2. Moons: indeed we will get moons for planets as well as massive gas giants. Right now you can create a artificial moon using the rail system, i've even released a ship and a tutorial on how to do that Moon-Orbiter+Planet smsec
    3. Asteroids: they are configurable for size but im not sure if more are planned for them. Asteroid belts have been brought up before but no details
    4. discworlds won't be coming back however there might be a possibility for other stellar phenomenon
    5. NPCs already exist in game, they just dont have much use right now. the big NPC overhaul update is currently in the works and should be out some time within the next few months. Procedurally generated factions are also coming, we just had a official contest for faction assets. As for creatures they are confirmed and will follow in a similar path as No Man's Sky's creatures where they will be procedurally built using various parts. Not much else is known bout them right now.
    6. While you can orient gravity blocks to change the direction of gravity this has to be done to each gravity block individually. Theres no way to change the default gravity orientation unless you get tricky with docked ships.
    7. So basically a lockable door? unsure as its a frequently requested feature

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    Binary+ Systems?
    Binary systems are already being generated; I wouldn't be surprised if higher multiples were sprinkled around the galaxies as well, although I have yet to find one.