PROTOTYPES and SWITCHES

Reaction score
    PROTOTYPES
    Maybe new prototype blocks should be added, but with a chance for them to explode (like a rocket each, adding their power like a rocket array) when used. Let's say, 10 of them can bring doom to your ship, of you overuse them, or if you're unlucky enough for them to explode this time you use them. I mena, you use prototypes (ex: extra energy storage, extra energy generating, more damage to the current beam, less energy used by the beam, etc.), you should be ready for the things to go wrong...

SWITCHES
    Make the "Activation Block" can be toggled to show up (or not) in the "Weapons" menu, like a weapon block can be triggered to shoot the array from there. This way, one could use it to switch the lights, show up the landing gear, open the carrier's doors so the ships can get in easier and so much more!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Prototypes: maybe

Switches: it should be an other block tbh. Could you imagine having every activation block show up in the weapons hotbar? Requiring them to be linked to the core could work I guess. Also, this has already been suggested multiple times.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Prototypes does sound interesting. I think instead of outright destroying a ship it should come with a list of major drawbacks. In the end you can change what bonus/debuff you want with the system. This would be something either tied to blueprints or shipyard mechanics. If you want more shields then you will need a massive boost to power generation to compensate.

Thrust, shield regen and cap, power regen and cap, health system from the future update, mass and turning speed are all things that can be picked from. Maybe more. Increase resistance against 1 weapon in trade for less resistance against another. We do sort of have this. The thing is the current effect blocks do not come with aside from taking space and sometimes power. Most of that is easily handled by players though so it doesn't really impact them all too much.

Reaction score
    Prototypes...No. This game works on plenty of blocks (and I mean PLENTY, the only block that gets used only once or twice is the Core block and Computer blocks.) so adding ones like this would just be silly and frustrating.

Agree with the trigger thing but only to an extent. You could clutter.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Kojinus

Feline Overlord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As someone with historically awful luck in video games, I'm not sure I like the sound of prototypes. :P

Switches on the other hand sound pretty interesting, but they could get pretty complex quite fast.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    @SapioiT already posted in my thread about Prototypes and Flagships that he want exploding things
    I think the drawback should be that you can have it only on one ship per faction.

I am not a fan of ranDOOM either ;)
    If it uses up "time before it needs maintenance" everything is fine for me - Why should combat drones life longer than 1-5 minutes?
    But ranDOOM is the absolute no-go for me.

Reaction score
    everyone wants super-something today... although i do like the idea that you've at least suggested a serious drawback, i'm of the opinion everything needs balance in a game, and a risk of litterally blowing up your ship is as bad as they come. but the real point, is it needs to force your hand, if you can attach this to a disposable fighter... then your not going to worry. if you need a ship that is damn near a titan just to support the thing, that weapon becomes a considerible risk... do you end this fight now? at risk of losing your ship, or do you try play fair, and hope you can beat them.
    just because something is overpowered, does not mean it's the goto answer, we don't want to encourage everyone to build these super ships, we want to discourage it.
    consider a nuke, nearly every country has a stash, and the main thing holding them back is the backlash, they become a quick target... but it's not the only reason, the radiation in the blast area destroys the area for years, the fallout destroys nearby areas. it's this balance that keeps this super weapon in check.

that said, we don't have the same politics or considerations in starmade, we don't care if a planet is now unusable... we don't fear retalitation, or dying.
    so we have to get inventive, if your weapon literally cripples your ship for say a minute after firing, your heavy cruiser with the expensive parts is going to die, no matter what, every ship in the area is going to aim for it, once it fires. if it escapes, it's going to be hunted... but that is not enough, a decent fleet could decimate any local defence, and the super ship could wipe out the planet unhindered... no challenge.
    probably the easiest trick, would be a charge requirement, randomly failures are generated, and the closer to full charge, the higher the risk...
    so before you've even fired this thing the first time, there is serious risk the ship has exploded.
    these risks could be mitigated by keeping the power stable, by not using thrusters, by not firing weapons... and not having to divert large amounts of power to restoring the shield...
    in short, if this ship showed it's face at a fight, taking hits would almost guarantee it's destruction...
    but when all is said and done, is such a weapon really worth the risk and costs that would be neccessary?

Reaction score
    Yes, it would be. Because, let's say, you're in your faction's house, and you're getting attacks from an enemy battleship, your spawn point set inside the base, what do you do? You either use the ships with normal weapons, or try your prototype on the enemy ship. Either way, you'll take damage. The point is: you either blow up half your base with your first attack on the enemy ship, blow up half the ship attacking you, or both...
    So there would be 3 thing which could happen:
    - Blow up without shooting (40%)
    - Blow up after shooting (20%)
    - Shoot without blowing up (40%)
    This would be a fair trade, in my oppinion.
    Or you could have them on the planet's turrets... so they would make a crater, if they explode... Let's say, you'd have the outer defense like with normal turrets, and the inner defense like with experimental turrets. Since they got through the normal defense line, you'd already pretty sure lost most of the things you had in the base, so the turrets would either save your base or blow it up, so the enemy won't get anything from you.