Prerelease v0.200.250

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

I UNDERSTAND THAT. BUT BY DOING SO, IT ELIMINATES THE SUPER GODLY SHIPS WITH IMPENETRABLE SHIELDS, AND PLANET KILLING WEAPONS, THEREBY MAKING THEM SOMEWHAT REALISTIC.
    Ok being serious now can you tell me what's wrong with my fighters in: Prerelease v0.200.250

Stabilizers hurt small ships that are short, it hurts large ships because unless built with strict dimensions you'll end up with large empty spaces, even if you have an interior.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    DAT POWER CREEP TO GODLY SHIPS PVP HOOWEEEE BETTER KNOCK THEM DOWN A NOTCH WITH SOME STABILIZERS.
    Lol, stabilizers do nothing to balance or eliminate 'power creep' or 'godly ships' or whatever, ultimately. It really just makes them even uglier.

Reaction score
    I have no idea what you're saying and you sound like a lunatic.
    LETS BUILD A GODLY SHIP TO FIGHT ANOTHER GODLY SHIP SO THAT OTHER GUY CAN BUILD ANOTHER GODLYU SHIP TO BEAT OUT GODLY SHIP SO WE CAN BUILD ANOTHER GODLIER SHIP TO BEAT HIS GODLY SHIP WITHOUT ANY FORM OF LIMITATION OR DRAW BACK FOR THE AMOUNT OF POWER THESE GODLY SHIPS NEED IN ORDER TO OPERATE THEIR GODLY SYSTEMS.
    [doublepost=1513748055,1513748004][/doublepost]
    Ok being serious now can you tell me what's wrong with my fighters in: Prerelease v0.200.250

Stabilizers hurt small ships that are short, it hurts large ships because unless built with strict dimensions you'll end up with large empty spaces, even if you have an interior.
    can i have the blueprints?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    LETS BUILD A GODLY SHIP TO FIGHT ANOTHER GODLY SHIP SO THAT OTHER GUY CAN BUILD ANOTHER GODLYU SHIP TO BEAT OUT GODLY SHIP SO WE CAN BUILD ANOTHER GODLIER SHIP TO BEAT HIS GODLY SHIP WITHOUT ANY FORM OF LIMITATION OR DRAW BACK FOR THE AMOUNT OF POWER THESE GODLY SHIPS NEED IN ORDER TO OPERATE THEIR GODLY SYSTEMS.
    How about we just get a system that isn't broken as fudgeballs.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You want a solution to power creep? I had an idea for that (the section on stealth). If people can see a titan coming from two systems away, it's hardly ever going to encounter anything that can move and doesn't want to fight it.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    can i have the blueprints?
    I could perhaps upload the green ship, the "Yoghurt fighter" lol, I made it under a custom config to be a test enemy.
    It has fairly decent cannons with some missiles.

The hull must be extended if you want to achieve 20% stabilization.
    maybe you could attach some on the tips of the cannons lul.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Rip power :, (
    Unfortunately it seems the communication gap has widened too far. We shall have to resort to memes to communicate from now on.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Red = reactor-stabilizer position and distance
    Yellow = maximum interior that I could imagine putting on the ship given the mechanics... of course, the 'Virga' interior would likely end up smaller if I wanted a bunch of chambers on it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, you can't try and force interior space with only negatives. Stabilizer distance from reactor to avoid penalties is a negative, and people will just work around it in odd ways to avoid it. You need a positive, some bonus to having interior space before anyone will ever include it in a PvP ship. And once again, the power system isn't where you should be looking to insert these things. Focus interior space on the crew system and make power less restrictive again.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, you can't try and force interior space with only negatives. Stabilizer distance from reactor to avoid penalties is a negative, and people will just work around it in odd ways to avoid it. You need a positive, some bonus to having interior space before anyone will ever include it in a PvP ship. And once again, the power system isn't where you should be looking to insert these things. Focus interior space on the crew system and make power less restrictive again.
    What we need is a motive to include decoration blocks and extra hull blocks. That's the price of an interior.

Reaction score
    This is literally the point of PvP building. You annalise formulas, you form and test theories, you look for design patterns that give you the most bang for your buck, you incorporate those patterns into your designs, you run some more tests, you make hard choices between contradictory possible metas, you run some controlled combat tests, you make revisions based on new findings, you run "real world" combat tests, make more revisions based on how opponents counter your ideas... it IS a perpetual arms race. That is the fun of PvP building!

But it is only fun if the improvements that there are to discover are numerous, a bit esoteric, not individually game breaking, do not force an aesthetic, and become counterproductive at a reasonable point.

Needle ships are individually game breaking, super obvious, force an aesthetic, and become an unreasonable limitation before you even start to get near basically acceptable levels of balance, much less full optimisation.
    [doublepost=1513796732,1513796186][/doublepost]
    What we need is a motive to include decoration blocks and extra hull blocks. That's the price of an interior.
    There already is, it's just that not everyone has the patience to build a DETAILED interior.

A lightweight decorative block (like a .01 mass motherboard) is an obliterative which can waste weapon damage if smartly placed. Open crew quarters placed near the outside of your ship make for a fancy form of spaced armor. Buttresses and other organic details on the outside of your ship help with armor layering and spacing explosive damage as well. Extra hull blocks in your interior reinforce your ship's aHP for way less weight and cost than more advanced forms of armor; so, those RP interiors actually increase the survivability of your armored exterior without exposing your hull to "bleeding-off" you ahp

Reactions: Coyote27

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Instead of forcing open space they should give us some tools to make interiors better and when crew and quarters comes around those tools could be updated further to account for them.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A lightweight decorative block (like a .01 mass motherboard) is an obliterative which can waste weapon damage if smartly placed. Open crew quarters placed near the outside of your ship make for a fancy form of spaced armor. Buttresses and other organic details on the outside of your ship help with armor layering and spacing explosive damage as well. Extra hull blocks in your interior reinforce your ship's aHP for way less weight and cost than more advanced forms of armor; so, those RP interiors actually increase the survivability of your armored exterior without exposing your hull to "bleeding-off" you ahp
    As of 0.200.266, motherboards weigh 0.05, like all other decoration blocks and hull. Hull and decoration blocks have the same mass, and decoration blocks provide no armor HP.

Decoration blocks need to be as light as the engine allows, and provide a mass-appropriate amount of armor HP. We could also use some decorative wall/structure blocks with the same properties that come in different shapes and colors like hull.

Reaction score
    yes, I am aware of the minimum mass increase. I think they removed ultra-light blocks as a way of preventing people from building low density ships that don't look like crap ... which is exactly the mechanic they are simultaneously trying to encourage... so not really sure if they plan to keep that or if it was just a temporary experiment as a way to combat spaghetti/island exploits.

just saying if they keep it as is, or ad ahp as you suggest, it would be better

Reactions: Ithirahad

Non

Reaction score
    Honestly I saw no problems with the .01 mass blocks, if people dont want to use hull, dont make them.