Prerelease v0.200.250

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Three possibilities:
    1.Missiles target reactors, in which case reactors get obliterated super fast and reactor hp is a shit system.
    2.Missiles don't target reactors but AI turrets and such do, in which case beams annihilate them almost as fast as missiles would, but missiles become super weak, and reactor hp system is shit.
    3.Neither missiles or AI target reactors, in which case combat either moves to super close range (<3km) where people can effectively target reactors manually or combat becomes a matter of taking out as many blocks as possible hoping to hit a reactor, and missiles are still king, and reactor hp system is probably shit.

It's just too few blocks to effectively base a ships survivability on.
    I could see it working, but not on its own. We almost need a HP value for each system individually at this point. Break enough of a gun and the whole thing quits working. Break enough thrusters and you're dead in the water. Break a large chunk of a chamber and it quits. Break enough of the reactor and kablooey.

Or just EMP the heck out of the ship and board it. Either way.

Anyway I don't expect to see any semblance of balance until the weapon update.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Non

Reaction score
    I could see it working, but not on its own. We almost need a HP value for each system individually at this point. Break enough of a gun and the whole thing quits working. Break enough thrusters and you're dead in the water. Break a large chunk of a chamber and it quits. Break enough of the reactor and kablooey.
    Current system is good enough for me.
    Anyway I don't expect to see any semblance of balance until the weapon update.
    You should, we all should, and Schine should be responsible enough to deliver it, but they aren't, because they don't listen very well.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At current point, I had to conclude that with power 2.0, a ship of the same mass in the same hull can support about half the firepower it used to be able to. Re-fits of existing vessels are simply not viable until at least an attempt is made to fine-tune the values. I do not have the least idea what kind of logic or maths made them come up with those numbers but I suspect some Big Shaq level calculations.

I cannot emphasize enough, schema and Lancake PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE THE BUILD WITH THE CURRENT VALUES. If you go through with the original plan to allow the 2 systems to coexist, the new power as it is currently, does not stand the smallest chance in a combat environment.

Reactions: Dire Venom

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I mean I'm not necessarily against reducing firepower since currently it's way too powerful relative to other systems

Removing scanners and jump modules was an absolutely terrible idea though

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    IDK how the new shield balance is supposed to work. With zero recharge under fire and regen being so expensive, it almost reads like we're moving away from shield regen being a major factor in combat. Seems almost as though they want regen to be relegated to keeping shields from draining away on their own outside of combat (as shield caps now have a 'leak' mechanic) and not much else.

Non

Reaction score
    IDK how the new shield balance is supposed to work. With zero recharge under fire and regen being so expensive, it almost reads like we're moving away from shield regen being a major factor in combat. Seems almost as though they want regen to be relegated to keeping shields from draining away on their own outside of combat (as shield caps now have a 'leak' mechanic) and not much else.
    Is not balanced cause Schine has no idea what they are doing. No regen under fire is fine, as long as moving out of fire actually gives you better regen. I still prefer current release shields, as a single 5k shouldnt be able to touch the shields of a 500k.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Is not balanced cause Schine has no idea what they are doing. No regen under fire is fine, as long as moving out of fire actually gives you better regen. I still prefer current release shields, as a single 5k shouldnt be able to touch the shields of a 500k.
    Why not? I'd think the turret firepower of the 500k alone should be enough to deal with a single 5k trying to annoy you.

Reaction score
    Quite honestly, I have no idea how this is going to play out until I see the plans for the weapon update.
    The way it will play out is very obvious, which I feel Non outlined very well.

When developing any kind of software, trying to circumvent the issues of an inherently flawed system (in this case with a weapons update), creates way more problems that spending the time to address the actual flaws. The idea of breaking ANY systems as you suggested actually would be an interesting idea in power 1.0 where no single system is tied to the entire survivability of the ship, but in power 2.0, it's a moot point since the goal is still 100% to kill the reactor. All the other stuff doesn't matter.

Non

Reaction score
    Why not? I'd think the turret firepower of the 500k alone should be enough to deal with a single 5k trying to annoy you.
    Effective shield tanks use a lot more regen blocks than capacity blocks because they increase survivability a lot more. Weakening regen generally weakens shields. It also compensates for players who can't make a decent gun, which is not a good idea, because they will still suck a lot, but they won't know why quite as easily. I don't like games that try to balance across skill levels, it never works.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It suddenly feels like we are taking steps BACK... 1. no shield regen under fire was a thing that pre-dates the first big weapon update. 2. killing a core (in this case reactor core) is also a thing long in the past, and the whole system HP system was implemented to stop ships dying from just a few pinpoint crucial hits with a needlegun.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It also compensates for players who can't make a decent gun, which is not a good idea, because they will still suck a lot, but they won't know why quite as easily.
    Honestly, I still probably have no idea what a 'decent gun' is for the current meta, but not being able to overcome someone's shield regen isn't going to fix that. And for a new player or someone who 'sucks', it's just going to be discouraging, and feel like big ships are OP. Not much else. :P

Non

Reaction score
    Honestly, I still probably have no idea what a 'decent gun' is for the current meta, but not being able to overcome someone's shield regen isn't going to fix that. And for a new player or someone who 'sucks', it's just going to be discouraging, and feel like big ships are OP. Not much else. :P
    A good gun is primarily ion based and has makes up at least (probably) 10% of your ship by mass, its that simple, really.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A good gun is primarily ion based and has makes up at least (probably) 10% of your ship by mass, its that simple, really.
    Except you can't do that in power 2.0 because that gun would take 90% of your powergen even with the powergen boost chamber.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A good weapon setup is having an ION array for shields preferably beam/beam, and a can/can array for destroying armor and components, with some missiles on top for good measure.
    You could do this in the old system reasonably well with almost any size of ship.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Non

Reaction score
    A good weapon setup is having an ION array for shields preferably beam/beam, and a can/can array for destroying armor and components, with some missiles on top for good measure.
    Theres a lot left out, because I don't want this to become a discussion about meta, but 10% of mass in ion guns can be good for block damage too if properly split up and with a reasonable % of ion effect (though I use missile spam for block damage).