Powering/shielding docked entities: Test results about something undesirable(?)

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Had some questions about the details of how power/shields work with docked entities, and did some experimentation for the answers.
    Sharing the results for those still unaware of these details, as well as to suggest a change (which seems much-needed and straight-forward, at least to me).

Have a ship with a shield generator (that consumes power) and a power system (that can feed everything onboard). While undocked, the shield generator will protect all blocks (of main entity and its docked stuff) within its bubble, and put a load on the onboard reactor. However, when docked to a station, things start making less sense.

Have a station with reasonably long docking arms (to leave space for the parts of big ships that protrude beyond their USD ports). Plot twist: the ship is comparable in size/mass to the station. When such a ship is docked, power/shields behave as such:

• ship reactor shuts down, and transfers all of its loads to the station (as reflected in the ship's flight-mode power bar or build-mode power stats, which stop showing onboard reactor load, and start showing the station's reactor load instead)
    • ship shield bubble no longer protects either main entity or its docked stuff (or the station)
    • ship shield generator still consumes power, adding its full load onto station's reactor
    • ship blocks outside station's bubble can get damaged, despite both station/ship shields being full and consuming power

Further plot twist: if the ship is larger/heavier than the station, its inactive shields can overload the station.

Suggestion: disable power consumption on inactive shields (and perhaps on other inactive systems).

I don't think it's uncommon or unreasonable to have stations anchor ships that are either individually or collectively more massive/power hungry than the station itself...

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Had some questions about the details of how power/shields work with docked entities, and did some experimentation for the answers.
    Sharing the results for those still unaware of these details, as well as to suggest a change (which seems much-needed and straight-forward, at least to me).

Have a ship with a shield generator (that consumes power) and a power system (that can feed everything onboard). While undocked, the shield generator will protect all blocks (of main entity and its docked stuff) within its bubble, and put a load on the onboard reactor. However, when docked to a station, things start making less sense.

Have a station with reasonably long docking arms (to leave space for the parts of big ships that protrude beyond their USD ports). Plot twist: the ship is comparable in size/mass to the station. When such a ship is docked, power/shields behave as such:

• ship reactor shuts down, and transfers all of its loads to the station (as reflected in the ship's flight-mode power bar or build-mode power stats, which stop showing onboard reactor load, and start showing the station's reactor load instead)
    • ship shield bubble no longer protects either main entity or its docked stuff (or the station)
    • ship shield generator still consumes power, adding its full load onto station's reactor
    • ship blocks outside station's bubble can get damaged, despite both station/ship shields being full and consuming power

Further plot twist: if the ship is larger/heavier than the station, its inactive shields can overload the station.

Suggestion: disable power consumption on inactive shields (and perhaps on other inactive systems).

I don't think it's uncommon or unreasonable to have stations anchor ships that are either individually or collectively more massive/power hungry than the station itself...
    This is a pretty big issue; one that even I experience at my scale of building.

Quite frankly, it makes no sense for a ship to put that kind of drain on a station unless said ship is still using its shields and weapons (presumably on turrets)

I tend to keep my ships considerably smaller than my stations but even I find it "challenging" to manage a station's power output/drain ratio when multiple or larger ships are docked.

I'll have to check if there's a config setting that can eliminate this.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    For the power consumption problem I was wondering if two home bases might be a solution. One for normal and one just to dock to. If it was an easier config change than fixing the problem.

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    For the power consumption problem I was wondering if two home bases might be a solution. One for normal and one just to dock to. If it was an easier config change than fixing the problem.
    Right, I forgot about the invulnerability of homebases, lol.

I guess if used solely to anchor and protect ships, a homebase wouldn't need either shields or power... The constant overload by the ships' systems wouldn't matter, if you use no power consuming stuff on the homebase. The savings could be invested in the defenses of a second station, where factories, etc. would be set up.

Don't know if these issues apply to carriers too.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The irony here: That entire system was put in place to "stop people bypassing size requirements for reactors" and to "prevent exploits like the docked reactors caused"

Typical Squeaky wheels breaking other stuff when they get all the grease they ask for.