power and coolingsystem proposal

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    sorry for the missing space in the title

Tldr : have the power system divided in 3 parts : batteries that store power, generators that create power, distributor that determine power output by second.
    generator and distributor produce produce heat so there is a cooling system to compensate. Npc can manage generator and distributor to produce less heat or cooling system to dissipate more heat

This is a reply I made in the new power system proposed by schine and i thought that it would be more beneficial to the brainstorming that the idea gets its own thread than be flooded in the schine thread

I have reflected on power system for a while now and i have a modest proposition that i hope will contribute to the brainstorming:

the power system is constituted of 3 systems
    the batteries :
    • the same as the ones we have now but with a lot more capacity by block
    the generators:
    • has the same structure (controller/module) as the weapon or effect systems
    • works when modules arranged in a loop/min maxed cube(back to 2013)or whatever (i'm not sure about this part)
    • generates power
    • could be linked to an overdrive effect to have a temporary boosted power generation but necessitating a reboot of the system after
    • explode when destroyed ?
    • generate heat

the power distribution system:
    • determines power output : how much power can be used by second
      • it limits alpha strike strategies or incite to design ships dedicated to these strategies
      • it allows to have viable ships that have no power generation (fighter ...)
    • could have a gui to assign ship system that have to be powered in priority
    • could use C+V to be linked to a system and a generator (distributed power)
    • could be linked to an overdrive effect to have a temporary boosted power output but necessitating a reboot of the system after
    • generate heat
    with the power system comes a cooling/dissipater system
    • works when modules arranged in a loop/dissipater/solar sail whatever (i'm not sure about this part)
    • consumes heat
    the ship has a heat value
    if the heat value reach a certain threshold (the same for all ships) percentage the ship begins to have failures and if it reach 100% part (batteries/generators/distribution) of the power system explodes:
    • the generators, power distribution systems, sun sectors increase the heat value
    • the cooling system decreases the ship heat value

with this system you can have ship of similar size that have totally different power profiles

now for the part to incite to build interior spaces:
    the generators, power distribution and cooling system have controller.
    Npc could be assigned to these controller and then :
    • decreases the heat produced by a generator
    • decreases the heat produced by a power distribution system
    • increases the heat consumed by the cooling system
    More than one npc can be assigned to a specific system to cumulate the bonus

This give a choice :
    • I'm flying alone but have a big cooling system
    • I have a crew so a smaller cooling system but crew quarters.
    With the good parameter you could make these two strategies equivalent
    or have one that is more rewarding

Do you see ways to improve this idea ? do you see flaws in it?

edit: remove the quote and spoiler

Last edited: