Potential Bug with the new launcher.

Reaction score
    As the name suggests, i have ecountered a weird bug relating to the new laucnher that starmade has.
    Everytime i use it to launch the game, the game itself just looses all of its frames per second, making it seem like it is lagging my computer out. Just for the information and comparisons sake, my pc is a dual gtx 980 with 32 gb of ram as well as a i7, which makes it very powerfull. Compare that to the seemless lag that the game causes (in which actually crashes half my other programs as well) and you got yourself a weird bug. Supprising enouph, i discovered that the old launcher does not cause such a behavior, which makes it seem that the new launcher might be the cuprit. I dont know if i can sent you guys any videos/pictures as evidence since its my pc taking a dump using the new launcher but if needed, just tell me. I hope this reaches to the developers out there of starmade since i want this game to be successfull as it was once one day (no offence but the game is not that popular).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Make sure you've set your memory settings correctly in the new launcher. Just because you have 32gb doesn't mean SM will use it (unless you tell it to).

I've allocated 8gb of memory to my game normally. I allocate 16gb if I'm working on a large project, and 24gb if i'm running a server for friends.

Reaction score
    Make sure you've set your memory settings correctly in the new launcher. Just because you have 32gb doesn't mean SM will use it (unless you tell it to).

I've allocated 8gb of memory to my game normally. I allocate 16gb if I'm working on a large project, and 24gb if i'm running a server for friends.
    I have played arround with the memory settings in the new launcher, but it didnt give any noticable effects. It still kept lagging everything on the current system that i have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    try setting it to use the Java version already installed on your system instead of the version that ships with it.

Reaction score
    try setting it to use the Java version already installed on your system instead of the version that ships with it.
    Hmm, im having trouble finding my executable java folder, the one on programs 64(86) does not hold anything.
    It might be the culprit, but i dont know any other issues related to java games such as minecraft. Any clues as to where it is? If not, any ideas as to where to download a newer version?

Edit: Here is what i see: Gyazo - f96722d0f7e6c5135bff3a77d9f10e8b.gif
    Unfortunately, i cant sent it as a media. Sorry for the incovenience.

Edit 2: Scrap that, i found it. Lets hope it works

Final Edit: Yep, it seems to have worked. It looks like the bundled java is not working properly. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it. I hope that i can somehow report this to the developers if possible.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    try "program files", not "program files (x86)" since it needs to be 64bit to allocate more than 1gb.