Plex Door Wedges

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It all depends on how you use your data.

1st You need so few color information that 1000*500*300 * 3byte = 450 MB blocks don't eat your memory.

@Vanhelzing Currently colors are based on block texture which is based on block ID. My PC lags with blocks >128px
    In that case wouldn't the problem in your case be based on texture resolution and not a game limitation?

For the possibility that people may not know what I am talking about - Basically there are a few numbers attached to blocks in Minecraft right? First one determines what it is (planks), the meta value determines specific changes to the block, such as a texture change (spruce planks). It's the same material with a different texture and perhaps it changes how it interacts within the game such as its recipe. Countless blocks in MC use this system and I figured if StarMade was structured that way then it would be so much easier to add in varied blocks such as new hull colors or computers. When people figured that out they literally added thousands of textures to minecraft via texture packs utilizing unused meta values. I have no idea how StarMade's id's are worked out or if there is a better system there already. There's nothing wrong with using something that already works. Although at this point it could completely change the game if it was implemented haha.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I always liked the idea of Plex Door Wedges. But i would recommend to add a additional field to the config for blocks:
    <IsDoor>true/false</IsDoor>
    With this people could create all kind of doors they want with custom blocks. Colored Plex Doors, colored Plex Door Wedges, Armored Colored Plex Door Wedges, Plex Door Tetra, Plex Door Penta, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a idea like the weapons what about lights can change the colour of glass you just place the light or connect the light to the glass blocks then it changes colour. less stuff in inventory less ids taken and is easy to use in game

Reactions: BDLS
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have a idea like the weapons what about lights can change the colour of glass you just place the light or connect the light to the glass blocks then it changes colour. less stuff in inventory less ids taken and is easy to use in game
    That's a great idea.

I find it funny people are against something that would actually be used commonly (like a plexdoor wedge) taking up an item ID, compared to something like a purple glass penta.

But yeah, looks like it would require a bit more effort to add into the game than other decorative blocks. I think it would be worth it though.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe use a similar mechanic to hook up a plexdoor block to hull, decoration, construction, or glass blocks, to make them act like a single door if they are all together, regardless of color or shape. It would be neat if you could make a door out of some of those gorgeous new decoration blocks like active processors.

There should also be a way to "lock" a door so it can't be opened by simply looking at it. Instead, you would need to activate a logic block (or otherwise create a remote signal) to open the door. Maybe lock the door if an activation block is connected to the group. Alternatively, activate/inactivate "R" opening via a configuration menu on the original linked plexdoor block.

For conventional doors, I'd make sure that the door blocks would look quite different from the surrounding material. For hidden doors, no such promise....

All my discussion on how to change doors is moot if linear movement blocks are introduced. If those are introduced, you can make a real, sliding door out of groups of almost any block (including different colors and materials). So I say bring on the linear movement blocks! Plus rotational movement blocks will allow you to create more conventional doors that can swing open and closed. Maybe this is the long-game plan by the Great Grey One for doors in the future? *hopeful*

Reaction score
    I just honestly wanted some Plex Door Wedges. I didn't want them "Right Meow". As I understand that the Dev team is currently working on what they feel to be honestly more important for the game. (By "What they feel..." I don't mean to be dismissive or disagreeable to Schine, as the current FTL and universe tweaks have been really awesome so far.) I just felt that wedge doors would be a godsend.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I have a idea like the weapons what about lights can change the color of glass you just place the light or connect the light to the glass blocks then it changes color. less stuff in inventory less ids taken and is easy to use in game
    In the end that would remove the need to have glass made into separate colors with separate pigments or paints in it's recipe. At that point you could do the same thing with hull and that doesn't make much sense does it? Connecting my wall to this light makes it a different color? Its good for weapons and particle effects. Less so for blocks that require different recipes or add to the complexity of the crafting system.

Reaction score
    Off Topic: Love all the people stopping by just to hit /old/ on the main post then not even leave a comment... /sarcasm

On Topic: : I would love meta data tags, but I think that would involve changing a whole lot of SM code. Now, I could be wrong but as Kupu said, They're (Devs) currently working on getting FTL and Universe updates done. Afterwards they *might* look into setting it to meta data. Depending what else is on the development roadmap.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This has been suggested SOOOOO many times. Answer is always "Not important" "A useless block" etc
    Compared to slightly-tinted glass you don't even notice the color of half the time, it's pretty useful. :p

Currently block rotation is pretty much broken.

Computer blocks rotated their screen to top will have their "keyboard" left, not to rear.
    Gravity blocks which are turned 3-4 times show on two different sides 2 different gravity directions (wrong turned faces).

I would want computers as wedges :) Would add so much as you are not standing in front of a wall...
    Likewise, however for some reason the game doesn't support having "mapped" textures on wedges yet. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too hard, though.

And the character view-point moved 1/2 or 1 block higher (currently the view-point is in your chest).
    YES! That's been bothering me a lot. 1 block is a bit much, but... Wherever it is, just move the viewpoint to the head.

Last edited: