Playable Character Races

Reaction score
    Hey guys, did a quick search and noticed that this hasn't been proposed yet.

This thread covers skins for races, but is a bit different from what I'm to propose:
    So, the other thread has gotten very, very heated, so I've decided to make a separate thread solely for the idea. No "your racist if u dont agree!!!," none of the anger from the prior thread, etc.

What I'd like to suggest is multiple default skins for multiple races and genders. It could be selected in the pre-game menu with all the settings and server IP and what not. Then, players can choose a skin that fits what they look like without worrying about servers having custom skin uploads disabled, with extreme ease. Shop NPCs and hired crew members would also have a randomly selected race and gender. I feel like this would make the game world more interesting, as there would be significantly less identical people and NPCs.

I realise that a lot of people think that this should be a later term addition to the game, and while I somewhat disagree with you, I understand that, so if you could please just comment on what you think of the idea and not when you think schema should spend his valuable time on it, that would be wonderful.
    What I propose is that we have different player models for different races. We could then potentially create different skins for each race. Each race would have different attributes that could play into the new RP universe that is being developed. For example, one race might have better jump abilities, another might be able to sneak, another might get small damage bonus to ranged weapon attacks.

I think that this would really help increase the depth and how immersive Starmade is.

Reactions: SomethingSlimy
    Reaction score
    Hey guys, did a quick search and noticed that this hasn't been proposed yet.

This thread covers skins for races, but is a bit different from what I'm to propose:

What I propose is that we have different player models for different races. We could then potentially create different skins for each race. Each race would have different attributes that could play into the new RP universe that is being developed. For example, one race might have better jump abilities, another might be able to sneak, another might get small damage bonus to ranged weapon attacks.

I think that this would really help increase the depth and how immersive Starmade is.
    I will be happy with races if and only if i can play as a 1x1x1 Intelligent ai robot i imagine a little metal 4 legged spider.... If this cannon happen then races mean nothing to me lol.

Edit also the title is a little ambiguous now that "race gates" have been teased maybe make it a little more clear what kind of "races" ur talking about lol

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A single sentence in the latest development announcement suggests that the dev team might already be thinking about different races for players. I suspect this suggestion is on the drawing board.

"Our player characters in the current state of the game are all Human characters, but there are other races throughout the area of galaxies which we call the Frontier, the setting for StarMade."

Reactions: Amadeus
    Reaction score
    I will be happy with races if and only if i can play as a 1x1x1 Intelligent ai robot i imagine a little metal 4 legged spider.... If this cannon happen then races mean nothing to me lol.

Edit also the title is a little ambiguous now that "race gates" have been teased maybe make it a little more clear what kind of "races" ur talking about lol
    Title corrected, thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
    Title corrected, thanks for the reply!
    perfect cause i think this topic if there are actually going to be "races" is def worth discussing

Edit i actually think the base "spider" with some actual walking animations would be the perfect base model for my little ai builder bot so this is def a go.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think we should be able to use the same systems that are used for NPC character models to create alternative player models (which we could then re-skin).

Reactions: Amadeus
    Reaction score
    I think we should be able to use the same systems that are used for NPC character models to create alternative player models (which we could then re-skin).
    Perhaps each combination would have a name associated with that particular race? Say you took model [x] as a base and it would have a name, then as you add variables [x-a] there would be different names for them. You could get a real species/subspecies vibe from that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yep, I'd really like this. Though server owners should be able to disable this, and/or have their own custom races for players to choose from so that they could be lore friendly with whatever theme they have.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I fail to see how my ancient counter-flame suggestion fits with this.

Reaction score
    I fail to see how my ancient counter-flame suggestion fits with this.
    That post dealt with player skins, which plays into this, but suggestion deals primarily with modeling and attribute changes.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    This sounds cool. If there is going to be a way to customize the model, or at least chose from a set of models, I would again feel compelled to make my skin even more robotic.

I wonder, if this was implemented, what kind of races would you expect? I am hoping that there are humans, lizard-people, insect-people, bird-people, and sentient robots. Throw in a few nonhumanoid models and I'm sold.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    lizard-people, insect-people, bird-people, and sentient robots.
    How very original.

I really hope any alien races we get are only somewhat humanoid, not HumAnimals In Space.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    How very original.

I really hope any alien races we get are only somewhat humanoid, not HumAnimals In Space.
    Yeah, I was just throwing some ideas around. I would hope, that for every humanoid species, it would have it's nonhumanoid counterpart. Considering this, I would love to be a cybernetically enhanced, human sized giraffe-beetle. I mean, who wouldn't. Also, when I was mentioning the lizard-people, I actually was thinking of something more dinosaur-like. Should have been slightly more descriptive.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Don't make it like Star Trek where the majority of intelligent biologicals are human shaped. This is a CG game, not a series with humans playing the roles so it's easier to be original. I want to see arthropods, centauroids, exovertebrates, sacs of slime, etc.

Another thing to consider is how to render weapons being held by sentient non-humanoids. Most likely a different weapon model would be required for each type of manipulator appendage, but maybe someone has a better idea.

Reaction score
    Don't make it like Star Trek where the majority of intelligent biologicals are human shaped. This is a CG game, not a series with humans playing the roles so it's easier to be original. I want to see arthropods, centauroids, exovertebrates, sacs of slime, etc.

Another thing to consider is how to render weapons being held by sentient non-humanoids. Most likely a different weapon model would be required for each type of manipulator appendage, but maybe someone has a better idea.
    Perhaps each different "hand" model will have a different way of holding a weapon. For example, tentacle arms ould hold it one way, hands another, and insectoid arms in another way (just to name a few).

Reaction score

my little robot spider just won't render his weapons they all just fire from my body mwhahaha super ez..... on a side not you can't really do this and be immersive something to think about a sac of slime wouldn't shoot a lazer pistol that looks like a nine millimeter handgun same with some weird insect creature the guns we have in this game are designed by humans for humans and i think trying to make it look like aliens without fingers are using them is just a biased human perception of other races lol.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Step 1: start with something like this, make it into a skinable model:

Step 2: Deck it out with all sorts of equipment(make changes to allow for this), and allow the players to skin the rest:

Step 3: Step back and feel proud of the abomination you made.

I present to you the Giraffe-Weevil MS Paint Race!

Although seriously, I would love for something vaguely like this as a playable race.

EDIT: Aww man, it's starting to grow on me!

Reactions: jayman38

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Although seriously, I would love for something vaguely like this as a playable race.
    This is hilarious, but in all seriousness... this should be a thing.
    Why can't we design our NPC's just like we design our ships?
    There has to be a way.

Reaction score
    This is hilarious, but in all seriousness... this should be a thing.
    Why can't we design our NPC's just like we design our ships?
    There has to be a way.
    Because then someone would find a way of making inappropriate npc, and then you would come by someone's base and be surrounded by dozens of very disturbing (for example naked) NPCs