In Developement Procedurally generated NPCs—including ones already of a specific race, like spiders!

Support?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I personally believe that procedurally generated NPCs would be a nice idea.

What this means is that all the NPCs in the game would randomly choose one item from a specific set for that particular body part upon that NPC's spawning. Each item would have a monochrome texture and would, after being chosen, change to a colour that the game has said is okay to use.

Then the procedural generation of that NPC would move to the next body part, choose one of the available textures, colour it, and apply. This would repeat until all body parts have been textured and coloured.

Note: The skin colour for each body part that includes it would have to be the same for that NPC.

An example for a human NPC that is being created could be that they select short hair, colour it brown, scarred face, colour it fair/beige... type 1 eyes, colour them green, an orange standard space suit... etcetera (a full skin and item pictures will come soon!)

Spiders would also have their differences, but of course using a different set of body parts and thus items and their selectable colours.

Now... all this begs the question: what about character creation in that way? Yes. Perhaps the skin system could be totally overhauled to fit this idea—the player would create a set of items that he wishes to use, alongside the default ones. Then they could simply select from all of those upon entering a new world/a world they've already been in but before this idea (if it gets implemented.)

This would not stop the player's final look from being that of their skin, however. It would simply layer it.

ALIEN UPDATE

Configure a race in some kind of IDE modeller thing, and simply add it into the universe/server config! No point in going into any specifics in this case.

This would also beg for features like certain ships spawning with certain race commanders/crew (see my cockpits suggestion—that would also beg for a feature about certain ships only working in certain factions too,) factions that only allow people of a certain race in and stuff.

So... that's the end of the suggestion. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arkudo

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Procedurally generated NPCs are planned. I really hope that they will come with greyscaled textures that are recolored.

And about that character creation stuff. Do you imagine player created characters/skins to look somewhat like you see in my profile pic or my signature? Cause i wrote a program that allows you to create your own skin using parts from default skins (trader, dave) and a very few creations of my own. shameless self-advertising

Reaction score
    Procedurally generated NPCs are planned. I really hope that they will come with greyscaled textures that are recolored.

And about that character creation stuff. Do you imagine player created characters/skins to look somewhat like you see in my profile pic or my signature? Cause i wrote a program that allows you to create your own skin using parts from default skins (trader, dave) and a very few creations of my own. shameless self-advertising
    Yes, but for that to actually be integrated into the game.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This is pretty much how the devs are going to so things, and it's already being worked on :p. I don't know about color changes and subsets like eyes though.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    This is pretty much how the devs are going to so things, and it's already being worked on :p. I don't know about color changes and subsets like eyes though.
    Adding palette/texture swapping could be pretty useful. I mean, we've gotta keep Kupu working, right? :P

Reactions: Lecic and Parameter
    Reaction score
    The reason I suggested colour changing is so that there would be far less textures.

Dev choice one: Colour in game, monochrome texture files.
    Pros: FAR less texture files.
    Cons: Requires colouring in the game, if that even matters as a con.

Dev choice two: Every item variant is a file.
    Pros: No need to recolour, if that matters.
    Cons: Massive amount of files.

Reaction score
    SMALL BUT EPIC ALIEN UPDATE ADDED!

ALIEN UPDATE

Configure a race in some kind of IDE modeller thing, and simply add it into the universe/server config! No point in going into any specifics in this case.

This would also beg for features like certain ships spawning with certain race commanders/crew (see my cockpits suggestion—that would also beg for a feature about certain ships only working in certain factions too,) factions that only allow people of a certain race in and stuff.