Planet - Regenerating surface

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Poor little pock marked planet, randomly shot up by a passing hooligan (you know who you are!). I suggest we let these planetary bodies fix themselves over time, my reasoning is as the game progresses universes will be around MUCH longer and damage will collect. Here is what I propose:
    • When an unloaded planet is reloaded a small percentage of the damage to each block diminishes (based on the time since it was last loaded). This will simulate the time passed since the damage
    • Exposed 'Bed Rock' will slowly convert to 'Surface Material' using the same process
    • Plants will respawn in damaged area sometimes when the block becomes 'Surface Material'
    Given time even a crater from the 'Awesome Missile of Planetary Destruction' will return to something like a big hole with plants growing in it. A lovely new home for someone long after it was defiled by passing marauders.

I would suggest only the NATIVE 'Bed Rock' (to each planet) be converted to 'Surface Material' so players can still be artistic with landscaping.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Eh, damaged rocks and dirt are more likely to erode away than be built up. Perhaps some random amount of damage should be done to a damage block, based on the amount of damage already done to it and the time passed since it was last loaded.

In addition plants should just randomly show up on the surface sometimes when the planet is loaded, rather than appearing on regenerating rocks. Some plants will start growing on rocks, breaking them down into soil. So maybe it should be the other way around?

Reactions: Megacrafter127
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In addition plants should just randomly show up on the surface sometimes when the planet is loaded, rather than appearing on regenerating rocks. Some plants will start growing on rocks, breaking them down into soil. So maybe it should be the other way around?
    I like the idea of the damage 'healing' then randomly spawning plants on exposed rock.. then randomly turn exposed rock into surface material. Probably what would actually happen.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Eh, damaged rocks and dirt are more likely to erode away than be built up. Perhaps some random amount of damage should be done to a damage block, based on the amount of damage already done to it and the time passed since it was last loaded.

Where does the sediment go after erosion? That's right, into the ocean, building up at the bottom and raising the sea level.

I don't see any oceans in Starmade.

If anything, the hills should smooth out and fill in holes over very long time periods.

That is, if we do anything like this, which we probably won't.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And that is a thing that needs to be changed!
    I think planets could be bigger and nicer with your kind of idea. The individual plates may look better surronded by a spherical ocean

But still, the regen idea can be interesting to fix the ulgy holes we have now with time, and the mechnic can be kept for desertic/not-atmospheric planets ocean or not