Planned placing turrets from build mode from the blueprints

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    and docked entities such as drones and cargo pods.

forgive me because I am terrible at explaining stuff and conveying a point.

the idea is this, to be able to choose from a drop-down list of blueprints in build mode, and to use the "create dock" function from adv build mode to place entire blueprints at once at a docker/rail docker.

this would save a lot of time when building ships, because having to place turrets by hand is rather infuriating, and this would allow drone carriers to be larger(maybe).

feel free to discuss how a better way of doing something similar could be done, or if this is good enough.

anyway, I had this idea because I decided I would build something like this

so yeah. please can we place turret blueprints from build mode.

<3 schine <3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would take off my clothes and throw money at people for this. Talk about a HUGE time saver setting turrets, doors, hatches, lifts, drones, fighters, ect.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Why just turrets? Why not make it being able to place any entity from a blueprint or design providing it can fit in build or shipyard design mode on a dock? :)

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    if you would read the first line of the op... :)

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This feature is one of the main reasons I have been playing FTD lately. It makes it SOOO much less frustrating to build ships with lots of turrets. That and the ease of switching into turrets and from one turret to another.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh yes, with how much PDT I give my ships, installing all of the turrets almost takes as long as building the rest of the actual ship.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I have yearned for this feature to speed building. I think that the developer's time is well spent saving the players time spent fiddling while building. Building great ships accelerates the creation of Awesome by the community and makes MP/RP less tedious for the Meta-testing factions.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm adding turrets to my latest ship wishing to god I had this.

Bump.

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    now you know how I feel :P

"66 turrets and counting just on the bridge, now room for 8 more heavy turrets that will have two AMS turrets on each"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A shipyard can repair a ship and replace any turrets that got damaged or shot off. Be sure to set what each turret has to shoot before Blueprinting as that to is saved. But you have to attach them on once the normal way when you build the ship. Any help in attaching them more easy would be very welcome. Multiple turrets on a sled are currently the best time saver.

Another way is to spawn a line of turrets away from the ship and then move the ship next to the line. Since if you spawn them while working on the ship each one keeps spawning infront of the ship. And you keep going back and forth to get the next one.

Reaction score
    I recommend not using shipyards ATM. They're as broken as it gets. Seriously.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    This would help alot for solo builders it would shorten what could take maybe a week to a day or 2 especally when placing fighters in a hangar

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A shipyard can repair a ship and replace any turrets that got damaged or shot off. Be sure to set what each turret has to shoot before Blueprinting as that to is saved. But you have to attach them on once the normal way when you build the ship. Any help in attaching them more easy would be very welcome. Multiple turrets on a sled are currently the best time saver.
    Doesn't help when you're building a new ship and adding existing turrets to it.

I have standard low profile PDTs I put on all my stuff, so the ability to just make a hole and tell it "Put Low Profile PDT here" while in ship build mode and keep going would be a godsend.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wouldn't you just spawn the turret from BP, slap the rail turret docker on it, then slap it on the ship, and connect the turret to the ship, then all set? I mean all you gotta do is just set the Bobby AI on the turret but yeah. You're done.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wouldn't you just spawn the turret from BP, slap the rail turret docker on it, then slap it on the ship, and connect the turret to the ship, then all set? I mean all you gotta do is just set the Bobby AI on the turret but yeah. You're done.
    Don't forget all the -other- steps, especially if you spawn the turret too close to the ship.
    1. Travel away from the ship far enough that you think you can spawn in a turret nearby.
    2. Fail, search for the turret entity you spawned, and find the turret spawned in half a sector away.
    3. Generate a core, enter it, fly out to the turret, exit and reclaim that core.
    4. Enter the turret and slap a bunch of extra thrusters on it.
    5. Fly the turret back to the ship.
    6. Remove the extra thrusters.
    7. Curse as you realize that you erased half the turret by accident and rebuild, or else erase and restart the whole turret process.
    8. Break away from the game cursing, to go medicate yourself and calm back down, falling into a deep depression that you have repeat this for 18 more turrets.
    9. Return to the game and repeat the whole process.

Anywhere along the process of adding a turret, the average builder falls out of the "build flow", to focus on the turret-adding task.

Compare that process, which normally takes at least 30 seconds per turret, even if you are quick and efficient, with the proposed idea of pressing a button, selecting a blueprint from the list, selecting the orientation, and moving on with your build, keeping the vital "build flow" flowing.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    For a low number of turrets yes, for a high number of them you need way to much time playing fetch and it just takes too long. Why not just let us spawn the dang thing right on the dock and pick the rail docker it is using to dock with? Saves hours of back and forth.