Pistons? Or something similar...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'m not sure it should work with seperate docked cores as then you won\'t be able to mount any guns or missiles on extendable arms, at least none controlable from the core of the main ship but I\'m not sure how only keeping specific blocks attached to a piston would work otherwise.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A few suggestions regarding it:

Limit the max area that can be supported by one block - but allow much larger areas to be supported if multiple \"piston\" blocks are next to each other - thus you couldn\'t have a titan-class ship that split in half supported only by 1 block of extender

Have a 45 degree version of this block (angle block), to allow for things to extend out of corners...this might also require a 45 degree version of turret/ship docks though...

Reaction score
    However it would be hard to implement properly, so it would move only blocks we want it to move.

Reaction score
    How about, like minceraft pistons, it only extends from one face, the direction of which is determined by how it is rotated in Advanced Build mode.

Reaction score
    I can just imagine my ships having doors that slide open and gun turrets that emerge from ports and landing gear that slide out.

This would really need a way of controlling select blocks from inside the ship, so it would need a controller block. It probably would also need to work like docking modules in order to support attached things that move relative to the ship (editing the ship\'s block structure many blocks at a time is likely to result in problems).

I imagine it as Motor Controller->a bunch of Motor Modules (like docking modules) and then Motor Module->a bunch of Motors (like docking enhancers). When a Motor Controller activates, any Motor would move a single non-docked block or a docked ship in the direction the Motor Module is facing if it is next to the Motor\'s front side or \"grab\" the block or docked ship towards the Motor if it is not. Each Motor Controller would have a specified amount of movement. Also, to facilitate turret movement, a Motor Module would need be able to act as a turret dock instead of just a regular dock.

Calling them pistons would be rather inaccurate to Minecraft pistons if they could move blocks/docked ships more than one block (and only being able to move things one block is a pain to setup for moving things in smaller structures). I don\'t think frames would be used because that would make things too bulky. Frames in RedPower are intended to solve a problem (What blocks should move together when the motor activates if you want to move more than one block?), but StarMade already can detect what blocks constitute something by how it handles ships.

Reaction score
    I think this is a great idea and I\'d like to see some sort of rotation as well. Something like a docked block that would slowly spin which would make it possible to have a moving ring around a ship or station or even small objects that would orbit them.

Reaction score
    I just imagined what this means for solar bases (you can cover the sun since it is only 1 block big and stop it from causing damage) With pistons you could releash the fire of the gods upon your enemies or cover the sun to allow your turrets to do Buisiness.

Reaction score
    I tried this with a plexdoor sphere, but whenever it looked contained, it... wasn\'t.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you could set the speed from 0 to max server speed then you could have a way to shoot projectiels at your enemy that are physicaly in game or launch ships with a speed boost as speed is relative. that would be awesome for a ammonition eating disinitgrator cannon!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    that would be awesome for a ammonition eating disinitgrator cannon!

First, they have to do at least 100 damage each and the damage from all has to be applied on the target.

I think currently, they do only 1x damage to shields, but are balanced to hit multiple blocks.