Pistons? Or something similar...

Reaction score
    Who doesn't love moving parts on ship? Extendable wings, retractable turrets or bridge...

Something similar to minecraft's pistons -Only much better.

A module similar to a docking module, except 'Activating' the module extends or retracts whatever is docked.

The point of this module is to kill many birds with one stone. Landing gear, Retractable/Extendable/Rotatable weapons, turrets, wings, doors... anything you can dream up.

1: The Module is placed and configured.

2: The item is docked.

3: The with the module is entered, the module is activated, and extends the preset ammount of blocks. (Have a visual connection between module and docked item?) (in this case, plexlift textured blocks)

>The docked item can still be un-docked by entering its core and doing so.

>The module has enhancers of its own.

>A setting for rotations? 90, 180, 270, 360?

>The module would ideally have settings on how many blocks it extends: 1 - 50 perhaps?

>Ideally a setting for speed too. (how fast it retracts and extends)

Not necessarily a huge gameplay changer, but it would add a whole new level to construction and open lots of cool possibilities.

>Please post suggestions/support so we can refine this idea/suggestion so it is at its best if it comes to the attention of Schema ;)

Thanks for reading.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    after all it would be great to use for something like landing gear or landing struts.

Reaction score
    It would finally allow me to create a 1:1 scale model of the ship from Galaxy Quest.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i already put up a suggestion for it its 8 pages back by now

Reaction score
    Still, it might be easier to make a \'piston\' module that can do all of these things, landing gear, retractable weapons etc than separate modules.

Reaction score
    If anyones played games like mass effect 2 where the main gun comes out of the ship\'s hull prior to firing or at the begining where the hull lifts to release escape pods then this would make some of the ships very cool.

Could also allow landing gear to be hidden before it is deployed or open side doors to allow turrets to fire. Like the thoughts here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it would should resemble something like a docking module

you have to add enhancers to be able to fit what ever your moving

but speed should be player configurable

Reaction score
    You do not need that for landing gear. It would be good for docking turreted ship though. Have a hollow 5x5 port extend into a 6x6 door that you open, while having little ones lock into indentations in the top and bottom. Also good for a ramming extension with explosives at the end. Overall, it would be cool but not really necessary, like landing gear.

Please look at this topic:
    http://star-made.org/content/faction-funds-clearance-and-more

Reaction score
    Well, you can have landing gear expanded all the time, but it looks lame, better is to have it expanded/shrinked using those pistons.

I\'d love to have this mechanic in SM.

Reaction score
    i think this could very well encourage some cool stations and planetary bases as well because having a hangar door that opens slowly is cool. and the fact that this could be used as landing gear excites me cant wait to see what schema thinks of this (if we ever do see that)

mou

Reaction score
    wtf serioulsy there is much stuff that need to be done before that

don\'t expect your idea get done before years

Reaction score
    >Sorry mou, i thought this subforum was labeled \'Suggestions,\' i must have been mistaken...

>EpicFailLord, -the idea with this is that it encompasses many uses. It can be used for doors, landing gear, moving parts, wings, etc.

Surely it is easier to make one module that can do all these things, and more, than make seperate modules for everything. Considering there are endless possibilites with this, it would take a very long time.

Constructive feedback only please guys - Lets keep this thread clean.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i like the schematic youve provided and i think it is alot more pheasable then what ive sudgested although id still like repulsor fields lol.

Reaction score
    If this was an open sourced game I\'m pretty sure one of us would have tried to include it. And I\'m pretty sure Sch will probably put something like this inside the game eventually. He did squash a lot of bug and a big on with the turret docking block. And yes, this is a suggestion forum and we should keep this clean. No one is demanding it be put it or fighting about it Mou. Just remember that all we are doing in this section is suggesting and giving ideal input. Not reporting bugs.

I for one love the idea of a piston or magnetic piston block of some sort. It would make more creative doors, elevators, landing gear, hidden panels, hidden weapons systems etc etc. Possibilities are endless.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It kills many birds with one stone. I have read many threads on suggestions for landing gear and the like, but this one is best as it offers the most possibilities, and diversity. It adds complexity to the game, and although sometimes complexity isn\'t a good thing, in a game like starmade it\'s fine because you can start simple and build your way up.

However, I do also believe it is not something for short-term implementation, but rather something that should be implemented once the game is a little more stable.

Reaction score
    still tnough controllable plex door means:

Pilot: approaching carrier. Clear us for landing.
    Ship pilot: ok opening blast doors now.

Reaction score
    Why implement 100 blocks, when you can implement \"one size fits all\" one?

Also plexdoors opens *instantly* when with this idea they\'d open slowly which looks WAY cooler.

Though to pistons, I\'d prefer motors and frames. If you played MC with Redpower2 mod, you know what I mean.