Read by Schine Pick up Rails outputting logic through C+V connections

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Now that pickup rails have been added it opens up a world of possibilities with what we can do with rails. fixing alot of the logistical headaches of rails colliding with its docked entity.

However we now have another problem. These rails still make use of the adjacent logic signal outputs that regular rails use. While that works for normal rails this can make creating logic driven launching/pick up systems either a nightmare to design or at the very least make them semi-automatic.

Theres no way to detect that a ship has successfully docked to a pick up rail thus initiating any kind of docking sequence. In order to this you would need to place a logic block next to one of the pick up rails which can be rather awkward since pick rails are invisible. also since pick up rails are intangible a ship is liable to collide with the floating logic block, breaking the system.

So i propose that Pick up Rails and Shootout Rails output a logic signal in the same manner as the activation gate: Through a C + V system.

The way it would work is that you would select a pick up rail with "C" then press "V" on the logic block of your choosing.

Then when a ship docks/passes over this pick up rail it will output a logic signal.

With this method of sending logic signals then more automated docking sequences can be made. for instance just docking to a pick up rail will send a signal to automatically open the hanger doors when you ship has reached a certain rail block then close the doors after your ship has docked to it resting spot.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think this might fall under the same issue the game has with permission modules using C + V to function instead of being required to be next to the block. I think it's the way the game processes connections that wont allow for this. I do support the idea but I think the only way to achieve it at this current state of the game is with an invisible/collision-less activator that can be placed next to the rail so it can output a signal.

Reaction score
    Would area triggers not work for this? I confess, my experience with them is limited.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Perhaps area triggers trip when they are placed adjacent to a rail and a docker goes over the rail. What do you think?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It's a good idea. Makes sense when it comes to pickup rails. We will have to ensure that there are no reasons we would want them to not do this, as rails have very specific logic rules. I will archive this suggestion so that we may eventually get to it if we cannot look into it now.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    beside invisible/collision-less activator

i think we also need a Pickup Rail Rotator, to allow ships to reverse park