Permacloaking docked Power Generator setup

Reaction score
    So I've been messing around with docked generators, now that they have finally reduced the lag to almost nothing for 40+ docked entities at once, and I came up with some numbers on a docked generator setup efficient enough to allow the mothership it is docked to, to permacloak.
    Permacloaking (and radar jamming) requires at least 150 e/block.

The maximum number of docked generators allowed on good servers is 20.

In testing, It is known that a hyperefficient generator (596 reactors) produces 750152.4 e/second (1256.54e/block)
    Power supply beams are 80% efficient, so it requires 750k/480 = 1562 power supply beams and cannon slaves to provide the 750k regen to the ship. This will overdraw the reactor, so it requires 750k/4 = 187.5k power capacity (108 capacitors) to ensure that even with lag, the generator will never run out of power.
    (.25 second cooldown where the beam is not firing every cycle, so 1/4 second regen power capacity)

This totals 3836 blocks, with an output of ~750k*.8 = ~600k e/second supplied per generator
    600k / 3836 = 156.4 e/block!! after efficiency calculation.

This is enough power supply to allow an extra 162 blocks per docked reactor on the main ship to permacloak. (3998 per reactor).

Feasibility is there, a ship with just a 596 block reactor can provide 5001 blocks for cloaking, which is an extra 4402, plus the 3240 from 20 docked generators, totaling 764.2 mass available to add stuff to.

I have yet to have a chance to build such a vessel, but the math is here..

77319 blocks total *150 = power drain of 11,597,850 e/second. Total output = 12.7 million e/second
    11.6 m e/second requires at least 2.9 million power capacity (1951 blocks) on the ship to ensure it still has power between cycles, probably.

This reduces the total available mass to 5690 extra blocks. while that's a pitiful amount of extra systems or armor for how big the ship will have to be, it's a good start to a goal I've wanted to achieve since I learned about these things.

Thus, each docked reactor nominally provides an extra 81 blocks per DR at peak efficiency.
    The logic clock used to power the supply beams is as follows:
    2x wireless, 1x AND, 1x OR, 1x NOT, 1x DELAY
    wireless1 -> AND + wireless2
    AND -> DELAY + OR
    DELAY -> OR + NOT
    NOT -> AND
    OR -> power supply computer
    I am happy to discuss this with people, it's more a theoretical concept I've had for a while...

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm there comes a point when the combo of both the cloaker and Jammer tend to hit where no matter how much power you have you won't be able to keep them up for long.

Reaction score
    hmm there comes a point when the combo of both the cloaker and Jammer tend to hit where no matter how much power you have you won't be able to keep them up for long.
    From what I can tell, it's a linear relationship with mass of the vessel, where cloaking costs 1,450 e/mass, and jamming costs 50 e/mass.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Here's a little food for thought. The difficulty curve of cloaking a design does not infinitely rise alongside it's mass. In very large groups power capacitors (which happen to be dirt cheap even in massive groups) can provide enough energy storage to account for temporary cloaking. Since they infinitely scale with group size, they eventually reach the point of trivializing the power cost of cloaking several hundred thousand units of mass. If having enough energy to cloak a capital ship for 10 minutes is considered temporary...
    Perhaps you could attempt to calculate the effect of efficient reactors on supercapital vessels focusing on high capacity in order to extend the cloak window from "Where the heck did that battleship go?" to "I can't believe I'm spending two hours scanning down a cloaking battleship."

Reaction score
    isn't cloak only for scouting anyways?

to what point are you cloaking a titan, its not like you can shoot while cloaked, and since i doubt you can actually fit decent armor or shields on it you would be atomized by the automated defense guns on any titan you meet long before you managed to damage its much thicker hull armor...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm pretty sure docked entities firing weapons decloaks the main ship. That's supposed to include logic fired weapons, due to a rather nasty exploit of being able to fire swarmers without decloaking.

The maximum number of docked generators allowed on good servers is 20.
    Those servers being...?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I tried out the latest dev build and my docked reactor's beams are going through the main ship. My reactors are chain docked though, but I don't think that direct docking will make a difference. So it's either a bug or docked reactors got the hammer.

Reaction score
    First: why are you using cannons?
    2 power supply computers are just as effective. Also use less logic needing only a wireless and NOT gate

Btw smaller docked reactors using only 1 power group are far more efficient even if you need to dock more

Even a module with just 200 power blocks in a line hooked to 410 power supply modules 2 computers +logic

It works out to 152k power per 510 block reactor counting all the bits

152k/510=298e/block

For a 594 reactor using 1942 power supply, total 2536, it would be making 290/block
    That's between 500 and 2500 blocks extra per reactor...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Supercaptial vessels will probably be using the maximum number of docked entities for turrets rather than docked generators for combat purposes, but the math for a generator on a titan like this would have a rather negligible effect, (Total E/sec +600k*# of gens) / (Total mass+mass of gen* N) = e/mass

First: why are you using cannons?
    2 power supply computers are just as effective. Also use less logic needing only a wireless and NOT gate

Btw smaller docked reactors using only 1 power group are far more efficient even if you need to dock more

Even a module with just 200 power blocks in a line hooked to 410 power supply modules 2 computers +logic

It works out to 152k power per 510 block reactor counting all the bits

For a 594 reactor using 1942 power supply, total 2536, it would be making 290/block
    That's between 500 and 2500 blocks extra per reactor...
    Could you explain this a bit more? so you're saying a clock that fires every other time on two separate power supply computers is more efficient?

I run into an issue of power requirements. it takes almost 800 capacitors to keep this setup happy without dipping into the reserves of the main ship, rendering the docked generator counter-productive.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Each beam module currently eats around 700e / sec

Beams have a 2.5 on 2.5 off cycle

So:
    (your generation)/700 =module per computer

You build 2 of these

Wirless>computer1
    Wireless>NOT>computer2

Then all you need is to connect the wireless to a 2.5sec clock on the main ship

Reaction score
    my current fully functioning model for my 200m long battle boat produces 286k e/s, needs 185k e store, 2x 475 power supply beams(it works, think they fixed bug?), NOT+Wirless and 2 computers + ship core and docker.

this totals 1332 block and outputs 171 e/block which is pretty good considering it has only a 297block power reactor

optimally for your stealth boat you would use either a 150k e/s reactor (stays within core power cap) or a 594 block one for max capacitor and power efficiency

unfortunately some capacitors become necessary as you exceed the cores storage capacity, but luckily this design never end up firing both beams at the same time because the logic is mutually exclusive, so lag is a non issue