Optimizations (0.13)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

sorry this is taking so long, but I rather fix the stuff that I know of now, before releasing and getting new reports of bugs. I still haven't fully managed to track the AI bugs (it would be cool if anyone could email me a test case with the exact errors that are happening). And there is one bug that seems to disorientate turrets. Also there seems to be an issue when a skin upload gets interrupted by a disconnect. Those are (aside from smaller bugs from reports) should be the last things that need to be done to be able to do a release.

However in the meantime I also worked on some other things; mainly optimization. Also one very visible fix is on angled block as I finally integrated them within the pre-lighting calculation. It's not yet perfect but at least most angled surfaces should have smooth shading now.

Other optimizations in other systems have also been done:

• Small performance and synchronization gains in the network system, as well as a better system to track the cause of disconnects
    • Faster block collection updates (calculating touching blocks in systems)
    • Faster segment generation pipeline as some structure updates have been moved to the back, so they don't have to be performed on every block update
    • Finally 100% synchronized structure updates from generation process

Also a problem where a ship would be reset to "enemy spawnable" after restart should be fixed now.

Please be especially careful with this pre-build if you plan to use it on a server, and even in single player please make sure you backup your database before you use this build. Also please don't use this build to work on big projects, as i can't guarantee the data generated by the pre-build to be 100% error free, because a database migration has to be done from the old version.

You can download the build here: http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20140306_144949.zip

(to use that please extract that file into a folder named "StarMade" and put a launcher in the directory below: e.g. if you extract it to c:\users\schema\games\StarMade, the launcher has to be in c:\users\schema\games for it to see the installation)

(The username and password is "dev". The link will be working around 15 minutes after this news post)

This version will be installed on play.star-made.org:4242 to test.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    Yay, Schema strikes again!

Thanks for making Starmade (so awesome in this early stage :)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh My God. You keep making the game faster and faster. Soon a computer with 1gb of ram, an 0.5ghz and nvidia gt110 will be able to play this game at 60fps. You rock Schema!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    You heard schema, kids. lets get to testing the AI and reporting any and all bugs. The faster we can get our Daves to stop standing around and looking pretty the faster we can get our Update!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can\'t wait until this all gets sorted and we get a new pub build. Looking brilliant so far.

Reaction score
    Do you have sausage with scrambled egg as your profile picture? 0_o

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I thought he meant ai with ships not the daves. Ok lets get to work!

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Do you have a Toyota as you profile picture? Why has schema a cat?._. as his profile picture?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is a sausage and sauerkraut. The reason why is because my steam profile has sauerkraut in its name, and this was the best image.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So Schema in the stable build when I was spawning in a ship I noticed that all the docked ships and turrets all from around the core and then jump to there positions. This might be a cause of lag when spawning in things with tons of entities. Just something I saw and would like to note it.

Reaction score
    When docked entities are being loaded in, they are considered non-physical to prevent collision lag from this, it may be bugging out, but i havent personally had the game crashing issues this used to cause since the fix was implemented.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I run this on a macabook air and I get 120fps :OO AMazing!

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good update Schema, but I still get lag when I use /load command when I spawn my ship in sp, I sent the bug report.

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you want to test if it really lags here\'s the link of the ship http://star-made.org/node/18059
    When it tries to loads everything it lags.

Reaction score
    Supra\'s...the finest of the Japanese automotive industry, CAKE is delicious, cats are cute. Scrambled eggs are none of these things.

Also I always thought Schema\'s profile picture as his face when he spends weeks on something and it needs bugfixes. ¬.¬ \'are you kidding me?\' or when people are like \'RELEASE PLOX\'