Open chat access

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Request:
    Change chat so that integration with other server instances, and even third-party connectivity, are possible: consider integration with IRC, instead of the current home-grown (and limited) chat function.

Rationale:
    • Building in single-player gets lonely, fast. Building on a popular server is fun, until some faction decides to PVP somewhere else across the galaxy, and/or some other (typically) PVP/PVE related lag spoils the fun. Now your server is crashing, of your simply lagging-out, and you've lost valuable unsaved build work.
    • Having a dedicated build server, and a dedicated PVP/PVE server would be great, but they're both completely isolated instances, including the social aspect.
    • If the existing chat system were revised, to instead utilize a standardized chat engine, such as IRC (for a java implementation, see jIRCd), then communications amongst multiple servers could be linked together. Factions playing across multiple servers could still stay in touch. Designers/builders could entice players onto their server, and PVP/PVE players could entice others to join them. It would effectively enable players to better network and communicate with each-other.
    • Having IRC support, would also mean that features such as web-chat would be possible, without requiring a third-party server wrapper, chat logfile monitor, and/or the current awkward and often confusing [SERVER] tag on out-of-game messages from players accessing via a homegrown webchat function.
    • The current chat system also lacks support for popular languages, for instance, Russian is currently written as:
    2016/05/13 - 10:04:13 [PlayerName]: ??? ???? ????????
    2016/05/13 - 10:04:15 [PlayerName]: ????? ?????​

....this is not only frustrating for non-english speakers, it's an exceedingly useless waste of resources and disk space.​
    • Shifting to an IRC chat engine would also facilitate easier third-party integration, such as through the use of IRC bots that could be programmed to complete tasks otherwise requiring a server wrapper, or an Admin/mod to manually execute (e.g. help I'm stuck, I need a core, etc).
    • Banking/economy plugins could easily be integrated as well - by using an IRC bot to leverage a combination of player and server/admin commands.
    • Shifting to an IRC based chat engine could be as straight forward as integrating a localhost based IRC server with vanilla (therefore not adding any complicated third-party requirements). While also allowing for a configuration-based change that could point servers to a different IRC server if the server operator desired.

Reactions: Valck

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Request:
    Change chat so that integration with other server instances, and even third-party connectivity, are possible: consider integration with IRC, instead of the current home-grown (and limited) chat function.

Rationale:
    • Building in single-player gets lonely, fast. Building on a popular server is fun, until some faction decides to PVP somewhere else across the galaxy, and/or some other (typically) PVP/PVE related lag spoils the fun. Now your server is crashing, of your simply lagging-out, and you've lost valuable unsaved build work.
    • Having a dedicated build server, and a dedicated PVP/PVE server would be great, but they're both completely isolated instances, including the social aspect.
    • If the existing chat system were revised, to instead utilize a standardized chat engine, such as IRC (for a java implementation, see jIRCd), then communications amongst multiple servers could be linked together. Factions playing across multiple servers could still stay in touch. Designers/builders could entice players onto their server, and PVP/PVE players could entice others to join them. It would effectively enable players to better network and communicate with each-other.
    • Having IRC support, would also mean that features such as web-chat would be possible, without requiring a third-party server wrapper, chat logfile monitor, and/or the current awkward and often confusing [SERVER] tag on out-of-game messages from players accessing via a homegrown webchat function.
    • The current chat system also lacks support for popular languages, for instance, Russian is currently written as:
    2016/05/13 - 10:04:13 [PlayerName]: ??? ???? ????????
    2016/05/13 - 10:04:15 [PlayerName]: ????? ?????​
    ....this is not only frustrating for non-english speakers, it's an exceedingly useless waste of resources and disk space.​
    • Shifting to an IRC chat engine would also facilitate easier third-party integration, such as through the use of IRC bots that could be programmed to complete tasks otherwise requiring a server wrapper, or an Admin/mod to manually execute (e.g. help I'm stuck, I need a core, etc).
    • Banking/economy plugins could easily be integrated as well - by using an IRC bot to leverage a combination of player and server/admin commands.
    • Shifting to an IRC based chat engine could be as straight forward as integrating a localhost based IRC server with vanilla (therefore not adding any complicated third-party requirements). While also allowing for a configuration-based change that could point servers to a different IRC server if the server operator desired.
    I like the suggestion, even though it sounds relatively difficult to implement.
    One thing I have noticed is that I can type in Russian and it appears in Russian in the chat. Whilst Russian in-game names for example do not work out, Russian words as such do show up in chat. At least that is the impression I was under as for me it didn't work before while now when I type in French, Spanish or Russian with the respective accents and Cyrillic letters, the message does seem to come across.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Fairly certain the chat is based on a modified IRC server. Shouldn't be too difficult to pull some of this off.

Reactions: Erth Paradine