Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    Is there a way to delete only what is visible and/or selected?

I have a bunch of power blocks on a big build that I want gone. I am able to view only the generators and select only that specific area but when I use the delete or cut it removes everything. Even the ship parts that aren\'t currently selected for viewing. I have tried the selection tool with the replace blocks with air mod but I run into a problem since there are other power blocks that I do want to keep. It replaces all the power blocks on the ship and not just the ones I have selected.

Am I missing something or is this something that is not currently possible? Thanks again Jo.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know that you can move the ships core and I\'ve done that. I need to know if I can move a section of a ship. I have a reactor cylinder that I need to place in a different area.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good attempts at work-around! Yep, Replace Blocks did not honor selection. I\'ve now changed it so that it does that. I also added a tip & trick to the doc for good measure.

If you find other commands that don\'t honor selection or orientation, please let me know.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please follow JimmyJamba\'s excellent example of trying to solve his own problem. The first place to start is to READ THE DOC. I\'ve made it easy. The link points to the specific tip that answers your question.

Reaction score
    I honestly don\'t know how you have time for this. I barely have time to play Starmade and I don\'t have kids. Appreciate all the hard work.

JimmyJamba

Reaction score
    I\'m not sure if this has already been requested but I would love to be able to import my obj files with their textures. also could you add the ability to export as a minecraft .schematic as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Is that next update coming out soon where the internals will export in the obj? My cinematographer is excited to start making videos!

By the way, thank you for all your great work on this. This has been an invaluable tool to me and all of my friends.

Reaction score
    Is there any way to add the config files and etc to allow custom blocks? I need to move the core of a ship made with custom blocks, but after doing so the hull is gone. Block tally has all the custom blocks listed as \"null\" is there any way for the to fix this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It should already be exporting any exposed interior face. You can preview what is exported by adding -opengl to the command line. The same logic to create that view is used for export.

I\'ve added some logic and done an update to take into account the opacity of surfaces. So faces adjacent to wedges or corners or glass should be added to the export list.

If that doesn\'t work for you, I can put in a switch to just export all faces. I\'m not sure that would be good though.

Do you need wedges/corners, by the way? I don\'t think it handles them correctly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I added OBJ import with textures a while back. It\'s not brilliant, since it has to map it to the seven hull colors. So it\'s less useful than it sounds.

I just looked at schematic export. The problem is there is a lot more in the schematic file than just the voxels. There\'s all sorts of crap about movement, drop rates and a bunch of other unique minecraft stuff. I\'d have to fake all that out to make it work. Is this something that\'s really important to you?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you have the block types files in the right place, it should work. If it does not, please send me ([email protected]) the sment file, the BlockConfig.xml file and the lockTypes.properties file that you have customized.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    But can we actually add and delete blocks yet? I going out soon so I can\'t skim through every page at the moment

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are many ways to add and delete blocks. You can create fixed geometrical types in regions, save shapes to a library, duplicate them multiple times, delete regions, and many other things.

Can you add and remove individual blocks? Not in any really usable way.

The objective of this tool is to complement the in-game editor, not replace it. I\'ve concentrated on making it do things the internal editor cannot do (or that are very hard to do with the internal editor). I haven\'t tried to add a lot of features that exactly replicate what the internal editor is good at.

So, if you want to do fine close-up work, you are probably best to use the internal editor. That\'s what it is good at. If you want to do large scale work, importing or export, duplication of large areas, or painting, use SMEdit. That\'s what it\'s good at.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If one could use a key to switch between top, bottom, left, right, zoom, ect. would be great. Rotating with mouse on big stuff can be inaccurate and jumpy. This would help when making selection adjustments.

This app has been a great help to me, thank you.

When I first found your SMEdit, I was thinking it was going to be like MCEdit, I think that one is open source. But this has come a long way in a short time. Nice work!

Oh and exporting as schematic format would be great also, so I could go back and forth using MCEdit and SMEdit.

Sounds like it is way harder then one would think. I would love it myself. LOL I was thinking heck a block is a block, I would not have guested there was so much other stuff in there. If you decide to give it a try, that would be great, but if not we will still love the app.

miconu

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you give a command line argument of \"-opengl\" that switches to the fully graphical interface. That\'s what I\'d like to switch to, but OpenGL is being irritating. StarMade seems to be drifting, so I\'m a bit hesitant to put lots of work into it.

MCEdit is open source, but it\'s written in Python. I presume because the author was familar with it rather than because it is a good language for doing this sort of thing in. I had originally hoped to just extend MCEdit to edit StarMade stuff, but I didn\'t think Python was a good foundation for doing what I wanted to do. So I started from scratch.

Ultimately, you see, I want all plugins for SMEdit to deployable as plugins for StarMade. Since StarMade is in Java, it only makes sense for SMEdit to be in Java.

If I ever see a cogent business plan from Schema, or at least a willingness to stop obfusticating his code or making it open to a developer community, I\'ll start putting more effort into SMEdit. For now I\'m just idling, and responding to feature requests and bug reports. I\'ll keep your requst for schematic export in mind. It\'s not that it\'s hard, it\'s just tedious. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m not sure but do you have 32bit or 64bit Java. I had some memory issues after I wiped my computer and downloaded 32bit instead of 64bit.

Reaction score
    the minecraft schematic isn\'t that important the only thing i wanted it for was so i could use mcedit to remove a certain type of blocks. it can wait for more important things. also thanks for telling me about the textures I\'ve been trying to do this for a while now are there instructions somewhere.

Reaction score
    the minecraft schematic isn\'t that important the only thing i wanted it for was so i could use mcedit to remove a certain type of blocks. it can wait for more important things. also thanks for telling me about the textures I\'ve been trying to do this for a while now are there instructions somewhere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want to delete specific individual blocks, editing it in StarMade is the best approach. If you want to remove an entire class of blocks, use the replace option and replace them with Air.

About textures. Are you saying you are happy or asking a question about how to make custom blocks? I don\'t know if someone\'s done a tutorial on custom blocks in StarMade. Ask Google. :)