Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello,

• Step by step, what you did

Mods Replace Blocks (White Wedge Block to Black Wedge Block)

the same happend with

Modify Reflective Symmetry (Port Negative)

I tested that with multiple Models all with the same result.

• What actually happened

The Wedge Hull Blocks get a wrong direction

• What you expected to happen

Mods Replace Blocks (White Wedge Block to Black Wedge Block)
    All Blocks get the Direction from the Replaced Blocks

Modify Reflective Symmetry (Port Negative)
    All Blocks get the Reflective Direction

• Any and all files needed to recreate the steps given

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can see how that could be broken.

In the meantime, if all you are doing is changing the color, why don\'t you just use the paint tool? I know that works. That will hold you till I get it fixed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    When I export anything larger than around 500 mass as an .obj, the file seems to become corrupted. When I try to open the obj in maya, it simply gives me an error on \"line 0\".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dont want to change the color i want to change for example normal hull vs harden hull or use Reflective Symmetry ;-) But thanks for your fast response and good look at Bug Hunting!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is a known problem when the number of vertex points gets over 32767. I use a short for it and it wraps around. Have a look at the OBJ file and see if the numbers cycle around to negative. If so, I know what to fix.

And, by all means, post bugs here. If I don\'t know about them, I can fix them. I was randomly wandering Reddit (which I don\'t normally read) and found someone asking \"When is XXX going to be fixed\". Well, that\'s not useful. This is the forum I have time to read, and this is where the doc asks bugs to be posted. Same for new features. And, if you really like existing ones, please post too! I honestly thought no one was using the OBJ export so I hadn\'t looked at it in a while. It\'s a good to know what works as what doesn\'t.

(Someday I\'ll get my instance of Bugzill going, and we can do proper bug and feature tracking. But it\'s based on a LAMP stack, it didn\'t work first time, and I\'m not so good at debugging that sort of configuration.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK. I believe I\'ve fixed the wedge problem for Replace Blocks and Reflective Symmetry. As I created copy blocks, I wasn\'t copying over orientation in the former, and for the latter I had a stupid error where I got the orienatation after I made the copy, not before. >_<

I thrashed around a lot and could not, for the life of me, get the jpg to export with sane colors. I wrote the code to dumb down the PNG with no transparency, and tried that first with the JPG and, volia, it worked. Go figure.

I also upgrade my internal representation for vertex points from a short to an int. That should solve the 32768 wrapwaround. If you insist on making a ship large enough to wrap an int... I don\'t want to know you! I have not tested this, however. So please give it a go and let me know.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is it possible to paint the whole ship with an image? What i mean is that i paint the ship from different angles with a png(or something else) and then get the right colours. Is that possible right now? If not it would be a great feature!

Thx in advance :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The image tool will project an image onto your ship, or the current selection. Note, though, that there are only a limited number of colors, so if you use any sort of realistic image, it won\'t look good.

For example, here is a \"ship\" painted with an image of Flutteryshy that someone asked for. (Possibly for target practice.)

You can adjust the color map to include blocks other than hulls if you like. It\'s similar to the other formats that I\'ve documented on the wiki. That will broaden your palette a little bit. If you can\'t work it out, let me know and I\'ll move writing the spec of the format up my list.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Does the image projection need a 2d image(or 3d object seen from a 90 degree angle) to work properly or can i paint images at with an odd angle(like i paint a ship design from a picture with a 45 degree angling on the ship in the picture(hope that made sense lol)).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The ship wasn\'t really that large. Just the HMS Celestia and a couple of other ships Blizzard built for us more recently.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The image is always projected along one axis. It will pick the longest axis and align it with the longest axis of the image, the second long axis along the second axis of the image, and the image will be consisten throughout the shortest axis.

For example, if you create a box hull that\'s 10x48x64 and use an image that is 640x480, it will align the width of the image with the z axis (64 long), the height of the image with the y axis (48 long) and make it constant along the x axis (10 long). I.e. it will be projected onto the port side of your ship, color all the blocks all the way through, and you will get a reverse of the image on the starboard side.

If you want more control, use a selection. Select an area with roughly the same aspect ratio of the image, and make it 1 thick.

Play around with it, and you should work it out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'d have to try really hard to warp an int. I was mostly joking. It takes roughly 1300 blocks to wrap a short, but it would take about 90 million to wrap an int. :)

Are you doing a machinima? Or just some theatrical shots? I\'m very curious!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    And well, yeah, you could say that. We are creating some videos to showcase our ships. We were hoping to take them apart with Maya and showcase the insides; unfortunately, the export seems to not include the ship\'s interior. Still, we plan on using Maya to create a recruitment video, and possibly some showcasing the battles that we fight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Error executing plugin

Plugin: Smooth
    Arguments:

• scope := 1
    • type := 1

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at java.util.HashMap.createEntry(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.HashMap.addEntry(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.HashMap.put(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.HashSet.add(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.HullLogic.findExterior(HullLogic.java:95)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.SmoothLogic.smooth(SmoothLogic.java:36)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.edit.SmoothPlugin.modify(SmoothPlugin.java:61)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

This is the error i got when i tried to smooth my ship. It also got down to 0m ram(bottom left thingy) I think it is becouse i am working on a bog ship(500m+) since i have allocated 1GB ram. I get the error at about 32-33 %

Good luck figureing it out

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can ask for features, you know. If you want the insides, I can do the insides. I don\'t think I did before becaues I was trying to minimize the size of things. I make guesses of what I think people want. I\'m not always right. So, please, tell me if there are way features can be made better.

I\'ll look into that the next chance I get. All I have to do is remove some of the \"is this showing or not\" logic. In the meantime, you can always select the chunk you do/don\'t want, and use cut/paste/delete to alter the model in SMEdit before exporting. If you cut it in half, what is \"outside\" is different.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it runs out of memory, you need to give it more memory. There\'s not an awful lot the program can do. The bigger the ship, the more memory it needs. I might be able to tweak the algorithm to be more memory efficient, and I\'ll look at that. But no matter how much I tweak the program, you are always going to hit some limit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    its just a bit strange. I have 16GB ram, but for some reason java wont let me allocate more than 1024m(launching from cmd with -Xmx) Says: could not reserve enough space for object heap