Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    I think he means he\'s having trouble running the program through the .jar. It\'s possible he has the .jar extension associated with 7zip or some other archive manager instead of his JVM, in which case he needs to right click it and select \"open with,\" and then pick \"Java(TM) Platform SE binary\" or what have you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    More big ship problems fixed. There should be less clipping/crunching. (I was losing all superchunks with a -1 in their ordinates. Integer arithamatic error this time.) The 1024 size Galactica model reads and writes from the tool with correct fidelity now. I haven\'t tried it out in StarMade, so I\'m eager to hear if it works for everyone else.

In other news, all these updates are probably causing people headaches. I\'ve started a lancher that does automatic updates, and it\'s ready for testing. You can get it here. Drop it in your StarMade directory and run it instead of jo_sm.ajr. If a few of you can try it out, and if you seem to get updates correctly from it, let me know. I\'ll replace the other install documentation with how to use this and officially rename this tool \"SMEdit\". Then I can start a wiki page!

Reaction score
    Holy crap stop posting every two seconds... either edit your posts or think longer before hitting \"Save\".

I\'m guessing he was correct originally as you have WinRar registered as the default handler for JRE\'s, so it was opening in it by default.

To fix your issue, you need to put the correct path to your starmade folder in the prompt, you put a bunch of incorrect paths which makes me doubt your computer knowledge.

To get the correct path, click on the title bar where it says \"> StarMade >\" in the empty area to the right and it will give you the full path like \"C:\\users\\ray\\desktop\\StarMade\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Or he could just click on Properties or reinstall Java and make it as default handler for JREs, so he just double clicks and all good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i will just talk to the maker in private due to everyone hating me here. Why do all of the moderators hate me? i just wanted to talk to the owner and now I have to do it in pms. this is my final post here. I am very sorry for disturbing you almighty mods because you could ban me for no reason if i upset you so im out.

Reaction score
    You posted a dozen times in a row (now deleted). I replied to you with what you needed to do to get it to work. You were putting in the wrong path. Please read what I wrote so you can get it to work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, I\'m almost never on PM. The time I have for working on this is limited. So it\'s a lot easier for me to deal with it on a forum/email level.

And, sad to say, I\'m pretty sure the problems are all user related, not program related. Unfortunately I do not have time to teach you how to use Windows. If you have someone with more experience close at hand you might ask them to give you a hand.

You do not appear to have tried the suggestions that I have made (run from command line) or others have made (adjust launcher program settings). That makes me less inclined to give you further directions. I really don\'t think anyone is trying to be \"high and mighty\" here deliberately. Take a step back and look at the impression you are making. Your icon is of a sith lord. Your user name implies you are the arch nemesis of Middle Earth reborn. You have spoken several times using all caps. The attitude you express is that the program (which everyone else is running just fine) is faulty and it has nothing to do with you, since you are an export. You ask for advice but don\'t give any indication you are trying to do what we have suggested.

I\'m sure you are a nice guy. But that opinion is not based on what I see here. It\'s based on having known plenty of nice people who come across as entitled idiots on message boards. Take a step back. Re-read the posts that have been made. If you need to ask more questions, type it into Notepad. Wait 30 minutes. Read it again. If you think it\'s rational and reasonable then go ahead and post. (or PM or email)

The more users I have the happier I am. Making people happy makes me happy. It also means I have more of a chance of promoting my book, and selling enough to buy my daughter Minecraft lego. Right now the software isn\'t foolproof and odd things may happen on oddly configured systems. I wrote the SMEdit.jar launcher as a start of making things easier. Knowing exactly what was weirdly configured on your machine will help. But you need to accept that the problem is with your configuration and try the remedies people have proposed here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The instructions are in the first post. What step are you stuck at?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, you have a StarMade directory somewhere. It\'s where StarMade is installed. Do you understand what a directory is? Do you know where your StarMade directory is?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s not a full blown editor yet. So, no, you can\'t add arbitrary blocks.

You can paint existing hulls. You can upgrade all blocks to hardened. You can import OBJ or binvox models. You can generate base hulls and fill them. Using cut and paste you can put ships together from modules.

If you have specific feature requests, please post them here. I\'m kind of doing things vaguely in order of the loudest requests first. :) If you\'re a programmer, the source is open, you\'re welcome to add your own plugins to it.

Unless I hear about more bugs in the binvox import/large ship rotation, I\'m moving on to undo/redo next.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i\'m certian i\'m doing this wrong. but after i load a ship, i cannot use the edit or modify tabs. can use the other 2 though. have any insight? i ran it from the console and this is all it did,

C:\\Users\\dj\\Desktop\\StarMade>
    C:\\Users\\dj\\Desktop\\StarMade>java -jar SMEdit.jar
    Local: Fri Sep 06 14:20:55 CDT 2013
    Remote: Fri Sep 06 14:20:56 CDT 2013
    Delta: 148

EDIT: this happend after i went for your automatic updater (which works fine for me).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The auto-updater does some weird thigns with the classpath. And all the plugin menus disappearing sounds like it has got the classpath wrong.

Try running jo_sm.jar the old way and see if the menus come back. If that doesn\'t fix it, delete the .josm file in your user home directory. Let me know which of these works and I will have a better idea what is wrong with SMEdit.