Not only is the wiki in shambles but...

Reaction score
    I thought you were MEANT to use the old school checkerboard mining array? I've been using it for ages and I don't think it's an exploit. Even with 300 modules it takes me 5 minutes to mine an asteroid fully.

If it was removed totally I'd go back to using cheats. Mining is boring enough is it is.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The only official wiki is: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/StarMade_Wiki

We don't have control over any other wikis. This wiki is mostly up to date, a wiki is a community effort, it will only be updated if the community updates it. There have been many edits over the past month, the wiki is being updated all the time.

Reactions: ToyotaSupra
    Reaction score
    DukeofRealms based duke, that is well updated. But put yourself in a noobs shooz, and think...the first 2 pages on google are the two crappy wikies, which aren't too well updated and the reddit. Which are you going to click first? Which will be the most popular, therefore most clicked, therefore most pushed to the top? Doesn't matter if it's on the front page of this site, I almost never go to the front page and probably neither do a lot of people...

What I'm saying is that the wiki should be linked on the site up at the top or something. Like this:
    "Latest stable version: 1.9999
    Looking for help? Check the wiki at: (link)"

Totally idiot proof. Trust me I tested it myself, and I'm a professional idiot. (Not by choice either!)

Anyway, thanks for the link.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    .the first 2 pages on google are the two crappy wikies
    We don't have much control over that either. Eventually, this will change and the official wiki will be listed at the top.

What I'm saying is that the wiki should be linked on the site up at the top or something. Like this:
    "Latest stable version: 1.9999
    Looking for help? Check the wiki at: (link)"
    This is could be very helpful, we will look into ways like this to improve visibility.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Are you considering integrating the wiki into the StarMade authentication system
    We were going to do this at the start, but removing this adds flexibility in creating accounts for different purposes as well as being separate and secured external from the Registry.

Also, HTTPS please if possible (here as well)?
    There really isn't much need for it, but, it has been and is being considered for further security in other areas.

Reaction score
    Are you considering integrating the wiki into the StarMade authentication system
    We were going to do this at the start, but removing this adds flexibility in creating accounts for different purposes as well as being separate and secured external from the Registry.
    Also, HTTPS please if possible (here as well)?
    There really isn't much need for it, but, it has been and is being considered for further security in other areas.
    I don't agree with either of those assessments, but thanks anyway.

Reaction score
    Glad to hear that.

In my opinion, the inconvenience of having to create yet another account trumps the inconvenience of not having an up to date wiki.
    In other words, I'd be much more inclined to contribute or do a few small fix edits here and there if I wouldn't have to create an account, remember another password (and not mix them up), and remember to log in separately whenever I visit the wiki.
    I don't think having a separate wiki account adds to the safety of my account info here, if authentication is done securely it shouldn't matter at all.
    If there is a need for different wiki accounts for different purposes, then by all means, create a new StarMade account for that purpose. My guess is most people wouldn't need a separate account, and contributions might be higher if the entry barrier is lower.

As for encrypting the wiki/forums connection, yes it may be insignificant, but it's simply nobody's business but mine and the site owner's what content I view. These days it isn't like back in 1995 when encryption was too resource intensive to even consider. Just indiscriminately encrypt everything.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Glad to hear that.

In my opinion, the inconvenience of having to create yet another account trumps the inconvenience of not having an up to date wiki.
    In other words, I'd be much more inclined to contribute or do a few small fix edits here and there if I wouldn't have to create an account, remember another password (and not mix them up), and remember to log in separately whenever I visit the wiki.
    I don't think having a separate wiki account adds to the safety of my account info here, if authentication is done securely it shouldn't matter at all.
    If there is a need for different wiki accounts for different purposes, then by all means, create a new StarMade account for that purpose. My guess is most people wouldn't need a separate account, and contributions might be higher if the entry barrier is lower.

As for encrypting the wiki/forums connection, yes it may be insignificant, but it's simply nobody's business but mine and the site owner's what content I view. These days it isn't like back in 1995 when encryption was too resource intensive to even consider. Just indiscriminately encrypt everything.
    You make some good points, i'll check it out.

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    I just contributed a fair amount of time to the official Wiki today. I encourage all of you to do the same. Account creation only takes a second. Just get on there and start making pages! We need accurate information for new players, so please participate. Thank you.

Reactions: ToyotaSupra

SKC

Reaction score
    You make some good points, i'll check it out.
    If there's one thing that's true, people are lazy and hate making new accounts, so as long as security is decent I think you'd get more participants in the Wiki with sharing an account. People on Steam regularly get angry when a game requires yet ANOTHER log in, in addition to Steam.

But whatever is safest, I suppose. Finding a balance.

A clear FAQ/Wiki banner should be made though for both here and Steam Store Page and really anywhere people might visit.

For instance I spent 30 minutes trying to connect more than 1 Salvage Beam only to find out after complete luck that for some reason they need to be in checkerboard patterns with spaces between them. Things like that, which to me are completely counter-intuitive, need to be clearly obvious to any new player.

Reaction score
    I just contributed a fair amount of time to the official Wiki today. I encourage all of you to do the same. Account creation only takes a second. Just get on there and start making pages! We need accurate information for new players, so please participate. Thank you.
    Thanks, appreciate work being done.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    DukeofRealms, there are several good reasons to run HTTPS on all content, not just authentication components both for the users of the site, as well as the owner of the site.

If your site is only running HTTP for all content, you open up your users to MITM attacks (manipulating the webpage content to add malicious scripts, etc), particularly if they connect to rogue WiFi hotspots when out and about. As a simple example, I could manipulate the sign in button to send username/passwords to my server via JavaScript as well as the regular sign in scripts.

Something worth watching is the Google I/O presentation on "HTTPS Everywhere" [45min Youtube].

If the security side doesn't interest you enough, perhaps the fact that it is used as a ranking signal in Google Search, increasing the probability that you'll be ranked higher in Google searches will help.

Dislaimer: While I work for Google, I don't work in the Search team and don't know anything that isn't public about how search ranking is computed.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    After reading the discussion here, I'd put my vote in as pro-HTTPS and for merging wiki and site accounts. While I have a wiki account, I don't want to have one. It's just another pointless account to trip over. Consolidate things. The encryption should more than outweigh any potential reduction in security by merging site and wiki accounts.

Reaction score
    DukeofRealms, there are several good reasons to run HTTPS on all content, not just authentication components both for the users of the site, as well as the owner of the site.

If your site is only running HTTP for all content, you open up your users to MITM attacks (manipulating the webpage content to add malicious scripts, etc), particularly if they connect to rogue WiFi hotspots when out and about. As a simple example, I could manipulate the sign in button to send username/passwords to my server via JavaScript as well as the regular sign in scripts.

Something worth watching is the Google I/O presentation on "HTTPS Everywhere" [45min Youtube].

If the security side doesn't interest you enough, perhaps the fact that it is used as a ranking signal in Google Search, increasing the probability that you'll be ranked higher in Google searches will help.

Dislaimer: While I work for Google, I don't work in the Search team and don't know anything that isn't public about how search ranking is computed.
    No shit, you work for google? And not just as a janitor? ...are you sure? Show us your solid gold Bugatti Veyron as proof.

All jokes aside, that's very informative, an so I agree with Valiant70 that creating an account is just another one to keep track. Integration would likely encourage improvements.

Reaction score
    .the first 2 pages on google are the two crappy wikies
    We don't have much control over that either.
    If you haven't already disabled robots from crawling the old site (I see you haven't), it might help to at least change those links over there that still tell G*gle's spiders to find the officially endorsed wiki at starmadewikidotcom - there's one right on the front page, and (at least) another one at the old site's wiki

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If you haven't already disabled robots from crawling the old site (I see you haven't), it might help to at least change those links over there that still tell G*gle's spiders to find the officially endorsed wiki at starmadewikidotcom - there's one right on the front page, and (at least) another one at the old site's wiki
    The official wiki is starmadepedia.net.

Reaction score
    The official wiki is starmadepedia.net.
    Errm yes.
    That's what DukeOfRealms said in his post, and what I suggested might be fixed on the oldsite so search robots don't associate starmadewikidotcom with StarMade any longer, at least not as the official one.