Recognized No Power/No Lights

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good idea.

Only problem I can see is this might mess with some logic so perhaps it would be easier to implement a '3rd state' for the lights applied only during power/reboot problems. Make the lights 'flicker' in the event they should be 'on'. This will keep their logic state when power is restored and could be handled as only a display function. It might also better convey a power problem, would also be cool on derelict/abandoned/overheating as well.

Reactions: BJammin
    Reaction score
    I would love this, but for building purposes we need a build mode flashlight first. That is my only drawback.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree with both of you. However, I think the mechanic that would make lights flicker could possibly lag the game. It would need to be tested. However, if it did not introduce any significant lag, then I say flicker while overheating, off when no power. However the "off" would still be considered "on" for logic purposes, and those lights would come back on when power is restored.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I agree with both of you. However, I think the mechanic that would make lights flicker could possibly lag the game. It would need to be tested. However, if it did not introduce any significant lag, then I say flicker while overheating, off when no power. However the "off" would still be considered "on" for logic purposes, and those lights would come back on when power is restored.
    Definitely should not mess with logic, and it only needs to happen client side. We definitely need a build mode flash light then, but I think it would be pretty cool to use your power beam to turn on lights in a derelict ship or building.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Definitely should not mess with logic, and it only needs to happen client side. We definitely need a build mode flash light then, but I think it would be pretty cool to use your power beam to turn on lights in a derelict ship or building.
    I don't understand why there would need to a build mode flashlight when a ship's lights turn off or flicker. Firstly, because build mode already has a "lighten" mode. And secondly, if your ship has no power or is overheating, you probably aren't going to be too worried about whether you can shoot a spot of light somewhere on your ship while in build mode. In what instance would you need to have a flashlight while in build mode because the light blocks are not emitting light or are flickering?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Was thinking about this flickering light thing, it would be pretty RP anytime a ship is out of power (draw exceeding supply) even when not in overheat or derelict. We see it in movies all the time and it's a good indication your factories/weapons/jump drive are drawing too much juice for the system to support. Might even be useful when ships have sustained heavy damage but are still mostly operational (could that flicker frequency be linked to the ships health?).

Reactions: psteiner and Andem
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Build mode flashlight is a completely separate issue.

While I like the flickering idea, I think the constant change in rendering would be a bit much. If it can be managed, I'm all for it. But I think simply dimming the lights to an 'emergency' state would be easier on the game engine and just as effective. Then again, maybe both can be possible.

(The reactors have overloaded, Commander! Switching to emergency lighting, maintanence crews to Engineering!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe lights could flicker at random intervals as well? either when the ship is close to no power or starting to gain power again?

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    I don't understand why there would need to a build mode flashlight when a ship's lights turn off or flicker. Firstly, because build mode already has a "lighten" mode. And secondly, if your ship has no power or is overheating, you probably aren't going to be too worried about whether you can shoot a spot of light somewhere on your ship while in build mode. In what instance would you need to have a flashlight while in build mode because the light blocks are not emitting light or are flickering?
    The lighten mode would be okay if it were implemented a bit better and had an actual focus. As it is, it doesn't work in certain situations.

Edit: As for the lights flickering at low power, I like it. That should add a neat element to escaping a heavily damaged Capitol ship. Could be very interesting.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hopefully, when the modding API comes around (any year now!), a flicker logic function could be implemented (there is so much use for a flickering logic trigger!) and the function could be used in all sorts of things, like client-side light-rendering.

Having a control computer spark when related system blocks are damaged would be an epic improvement to gameplay, but might have to wait as it is more of a "beta" level improvement suggestion. I'd love to see more sparking, including sparking systems in the middle of build mode, as blocks are added and removed.

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this would be pretty cool, and the flickering idea does sounds interesting, but i don't understand how it would mess with logic. Just stick a power block on your system and it will work! Even if there is no power, the lights will remember which state they are in depending on their logic input, but they just won't actually look like they're on.
    Edit: or have I completely got the wrong idea?

Reaction score
    Well, why would logic be working if you have no power? logic systems should also be disabled if you are on low power. leaving them on would be kind of stupid considering the would be powered in real life.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this would be pretty cool, and the flickering idea does sounds interesting, but i don't understand how it would mess with logic.
    Some lights are controlled by logic and in some cases this could 'break' a system so when power is restored it would not work properly. That's why I suggested the effect not relate to the actual on/off state of the light. Think of flicker more like varying the intensity/frequency rather than turning it on/off quickly.

Well, why would logic be working if you have no power? logic systems should also be disabled if you are on low power. leaving them on would be kind of stupid considering the would be powered in real life.
    That would be realistic but without power no weapons/effects fire so the result would be the same, however if the logic breaks/stops at the wrong time it may not be able to start again. Let the logic run free (think battery backup).

Reaction score
    Some lights are controlled by logic and in some cases this could 'break' a system so when power is restored it would not work properly. That's why I suggested the effect not relate to the actual on/off state of the light. Think of flicker more like varying the intensity/frequency rather than turning it on/off quickly.

That would be realistic but without power no weapons/effects fire so the result would be the same, however if the logic breaks/stops at the wrong time it may not be able to start again. Let the logic run free (think battery backup).
    I would allow the logic continue doing what it was doing when it "shut down" and then freeze there.

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen

You cut out the rest of my comment lol. I said that the lights would remember what state they were in according to input, so even if they had no power they could be considered on or off, they just wouldn't light up unless there was power.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Logic not working when a ship has no power is a different idea than what I was referring to. This post is about lights turning off when there is no power. What I was referring to would be that the state of a light would still be considered "on" for logic purposes (in agreement with Achriel), even if it is not emitting light due to power loss. If you've ever made a complicated light logic system, you'd understand the importance of this. Plus, it just makes sense. If a light switch is on when power goes out, the light switch does not turn off, does it? No, when power is restored, the light comes back on.

Now, for your idea of logic not operating when a ship loses power.. Possibly. Maybe rails could stop too. I'm ambivalent about this idea though. But again, if implemented, the previous state of the logic block (or rail) should remain. They should not be set to the "off" position.

Reaction score
    Logic not working when a ship has no power is a different idea than what I was referring to. This post is about lights turning off when there is no power. What I was referring to would be that the state of a light would still be considered "on" for logic purposes (in agreement with Achriel), even if it is not emitting light due to power loss. If you've ever made a complicated light logic system, you'd understand the importance of this. Plus, it just makes sense. If a light switch is on when power goes out, the light switch does not turn off, does it? No, when power is restored, the light comes back on.

Now, for your idea of logic not operating when a ship loses power.. Possibly. Maybe rails could stop too. I'm ambivalent about this idea though. But again, if implemented, the previous state of the logic block (or rail) should remain. They should not be set to the "off" position.
    I understand that this thread is specificaly about lights. I also don't mean to imply that the logic system would be set to the off position, it would simply freeze at the end of the last command.