Next major update speculation thread! (0.174/175/whatever)

Reaction score
    Speculation for the nation! Bring out the prophecies and wishlists, what do you think we're gonna see in the future? What do you want to see in the next update?

Personally I think we will see some minor tweaks to the already done stuff (as per usual) but also some things such as minor changes to how the universe is handled. Nothing major, just 'easing us in' to the new generation. Maybe the stars will be implemented. I don't think we will see the implementation of the new station soon, maybe November.

What I'd like to see is utilisation of the new terrain blocks into some new planets or hazards, but that won't happen till at least December. We'll have to see what Santa brings us.

What about you?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What I know is going to happen:
    • The crafting system gets updated.
    • The universe gets changed.
    • Planets get new terrain.
    • New stations in about a month.
    What I hope is going to happen:
    • Minor tweaks to storage filters.
    • More build helpers.
    • Shipyards.
    • Faction update.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thumbs pressed for calbiri leak to make it in! (The 5 shapes rolled in one block - thing)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    In the next update:
    -all crafted blocks made from scrap require two new items, chewing gum and duct tape
    -there will be free popcorn but you'll have to go to the store, buy it, bring it home and pop it yourself
    -the dragon born comes and he brings shells with him
    -starmade is acquired by gearbox and a secret area is included at release with no box graphics but lotsa useless guns
    -something that involves your mom. i'll leave no details. they'd only upset you
    -9 of these changes are totally false, and you just got back from counting them and there's only 9
    - the astronaut model is being replaced with ponies
    -the only one of these that is true is number six but this statement makes that fact a lie. which makes it true and this one false. and you had to recount them to figure out which was number 6.
    -there is no number 9, how you like them potato chips?

<dances away gleefully in a sexy devil costume>

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Shipyards confirmed recently.
    Faction update eventually.
    AI update eventually.
    New contests for in-game content confirmed to happen eventually.
    Capital systems confirmed but literally no details released on specifics. All reveals based on concept or basic examples.
    This possibly includes things like ship factories, respawn, hyperdrive, and on-board shipyards for replenishing carriers with
    fighters.
    This also comes with various unknown drawbacks such as decreased shielding, power, thrust, etc for using said systems. All unconfirmed,
    but mentioned.

Reaction score
    I think we should get space whales next. I really want to make a whaling spaceship

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think we should get space whales next. I really want to make a whaling spaceship
    Why do you want to hurt those whales :(
    They are my friends... I'd never hurt them. I'd lock one up inside a giant ship to get free transportation, OK, but I'd never, ever, ever hunt them. :(
    (Joke :D)

Edit: All jokes aside, I'd really love to see this implemented: http://starmadedock.net/threads/sal...mospheres-planetary-quarrys-video-added.3556/
    What @OdraNoel is basically saying there is that salvaging planets is too overpowered. I wholeheartedly agree with him, and even the upcoming changes to the config for the salvage cannons won't take away the fact that it is way to easy to get resources while salvaging a planet.
    His solution was to make salvage cannons not work on planets, but that you would have to have something like the quarries in buildcraft (minecraft mod) to get the resources.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If your a hippy space nomad looking for a way to travel space naturally . We have something for you. Space whales, space whales are organic mammals that roam space eating asteroids. There stomach is the perfect place to live in it is warm, has water, soil and also no acid.

Reactions: NeonSturm

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score

Good eeeeevening. I'll be your transport for this voyage. The USS Creepy Cuddle Cannon welcomes you aboard. Dinner will be whatever space dust we find on the way and the in flight movie will be Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove.

Reaction score
    What I hope happens: turrets revamp; most of the community wants it but none of the devs have said anything about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't want the turret 'revamp'. I just want them to limit the clipping. I really don't like turrets doing 180 degree turns on the vertical axis while I'm in a pirate station anymore.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I just want fucking chairs so I can stop getting eaten by blocks.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    just gunna leave this here ^^
    [07/10/2014 17:24:59] James Rimmer: Is there any form of ETA for the universe? servers kinda need this info so we can plan for backing up sectors so people dont lose stuff across the required reset :)
    [07/10/2014 21:22:02] Schema: 2-4 weeks i hope

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I just want fucking chairs so I can stop getting eaten by blocks.
    Thank you... At this point, aside from the universe revamp and some already-finished features, the only things I really care about right now are a nerf to planet salvaging, farming, transfer of inventory from docked entities to storage/factories, the faction revamp, and CHAIRS GOSHDANGIT.

...Regardless, I know for a fact that Funny's list of confirmed things is correct, and we're also getting stacks of different shapes of the same block type merged into a single inventory slot.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I don't want the turret 'revamp'. I just want them to limit the clipping. I really don't like turrets doing 180 degree turns on the vertical axis while I'm in a pirate station anymore.
    I know what you want, you've said it like 10 times already. I want to know what the devs want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know what you want, you've said it like 10 times already. I want to know what the devs want.
    Actually, I believe this was only the fourth time. But yes, it indeed is strange that the devs haven't replied to that massive thread. Maybe they just want to keep things a surprise?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Why is no one talking about custom docking orientations? that could be huge in terms of ship to ship air locks!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Why is no one talking about custom docking orientations? that could be huge in terms of ship to ship air locks!
    Isn't the code for that already in game, just no UI for it?