Next Generation Fighter: A Competition

Reaction score
    so how did your own testing come out with different results,did you use the same judging criteria ?
    Well I skipped aesthetics. As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so that area tends to get a tad biased and I avoid it.

I just stuck to functionality and performance and left all bias at the door. Tested human vs human, AI vs AI and Human vs AI. some of those who made the top of the lists got trashed by the other fighters pretty quickly that don't even get a mention. Tested most if not all the fighters entered and that were within the competition criteria.

Server used is pretty much default except for sectors being set to 5000, which is about 11km across. Ships like Skylord Lukes Raven fighter got trounced pretty easily actually, and while I think it was a stylish ship it wasn't very effective against many other fighters, and the whole point to a fighter is to, well, fight. Combat effectiveness and all that.

It did win my Village People dance contest though :D

But yes, when and if Dalmont gets around to posting all the results or videos we'll see how things went on his end I guess, which many seem to be keen on viewing.

Reactions: Rumcajz

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol wonder how many seconds my ship lasted in the group fight? XD

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Mine almost certainly got hit in the top/bottom by a missile and lost its comps :P

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Well since my fighter was build for exactly what dalmont rated (mostly focused on design and rail) I don´t even argue that a fighter build for a human pilot can be much better while fighting with actual pilots. Actually it even suprised me that I somehow won the ai fight since I didn´t do a single combat test and only looked at the raw stats and the power consumption. But I also got a radar jammer and 60% ion effect in it which obviously wasn´t used by ai.

I´ll definitly build a advanced version of my design without the mass restriction and fit it a bit different.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    and disco music?.........ok that was a bit much,i think all the ships looked great,aybe dalmont could put the stat sheets for the ships up and links to the community content section for newbies to try out giving them a head star for ideas for there own builds,or even purchase the blueprints.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well since my fighter was build for exactly what dalmont rated (mostly focused on design and rail) I don´t even argue that a fighter build for a human pilot can be much better while fighting with actual pilots. Actually it even suprised me that I somehow won the ai fight since I didn´t do a single combat test and only looked at the raw stats and the power consumption. But I also got a radar jammer and 60% ion effect in it which obviously wasn´t used by ai.

I´ll definitly build a advanced version of my design without the mass restriction and fit it a bit different.
    Same here, mine had high thrust/mass and full overdrive which the ai cant use. I'll to a refit soon without having to worry about mass. Also schnell, does it come in other colors? :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    gee I just had a great idea for the dev team,we could make one of the shops into a used car dealership where you can test drive the ships before purchasing the blueprints because not every heavy hitting ship will fit all players(mine has a 8track player in it,wayyy before disco boys and girls :)),I can see it now......honest Jim's car lot,free fuzzy dice with every purchase :)

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Same here, mine had high thrust/mass and full overdrive which the ai cant use. I'll to a refit soon without having to worry about mass. Also schnell, does it come in other colors? :p
    It has some reasons to be grey:
    1. I like grey.
    2. I pretty sure dalmont likes grey too.
    3. I had to use motherboards to get the mass down and macet is probably the best choice for that which is sort of grey.

What I really learned to love while building for this competition is the low mass concept because it gives you easily a good thrust/mass ratio and you can easily get the max out of effects. Also it should be pretty cheap to build in survival. :D

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Well I skipped aesthetics. As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so that area tends to get a tad biased and I avoid it.

I just stuck to functionality and performance and left all bias at the door. Tested human vs human, AI vs AI and Human vs AI. some of those who made the top of the lists got trashed by the other fighters pretty quickly that don't even get a mention. Tested most if not all the fighters entered and that were within the competition criteria.

Server used is pretty much default except for sectors being set to 5000, which is about 11km across. Ships like Skylord Lukes Raven fighter got trounced pretty easily actually, and while I think it was a stylish ship it wasn't very effective against many other fighters, and the whole point to a fighter is to, well, fight. Combat effectiveness and all that.

It did win my Village People dance contest though :D

But yes, when and if Dalmont gets around to posting all the results or videos we'll see how things went on his end I guess, which many seem to be keen on viewing.
    And people seem surprised that there aren't more contests.

Judgement Guidelines:
    • 5 / 5 Points for Exterior Aesthetics.
    • 5 / 5 Points for Crew Accommodation.
    • 5 / 5 Points for "Moving Parts".
    • 5 / 5 Points for Defensive and Offensive balance.
    • +1 Bonus Points for the "last ship standing" after an en-masse AI fight.
    • 1st - 3rd place will be based on these categories, and will not exceed a total max score of 20 / 20.
    You basically took the part worth the LEAST, being the last man standing, and based your judgement on that.

You entirely skipped 15 points worth of the contest by saying:
    Of course there is bias. People were excited to enter their contest because they wanted to know what Dalmont thought of their ships. That's the very definition of bias, people think highly of Dalmont's opinion.

EDIT: Not sure what's funny about it. But okay. :|

Last edited:

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    And people seem surprised that there aren't more contests.

You basically took the part worth the LEAST, being the last man standing, and based your judgement on that.

You entirely skipped 15 points worth of the contest by saying:

Of course there is bias. People were excited to enter their contest because they wanted to know what Dalmont thought of their ships. That's the very definition of bias, people think highly of Dalmont's opinion.
    To be fair, Dalmont is considered a aesthetics "expert" and is considered by most qualified to judge aesthetics.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    To be fair, Dalmont is considered a aesthetics "expert" and is considered by most qualified to judge aesthetics.
    That was my whole point. The guy I was quoting basically took aesthetics and tossed that out the window. When anyone who's read what Dalmont has posted before KNOWS that he has a good eye for aesthetics.

My comment about people being surprised by not having more contests was aimed at those thinking they could judge a contest better, and the ones going "GIB NUMBERS PLOX" every 5 minutes. I'm saying give the dude a break.

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    if you guys are looking for more combat oriented competitions there would be the drones wars coming up.
    Sorry to derail the htread here but i have to agree that dal made pretty clear what this competition was about before hand still i opted to turn in a trimmed down version of what i consider a fighter designed for combat flown by players. Well dal liked the interior a lot so i am pleased.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm anticipating the spreadsheet more assuming he's still doing that, it'd be cool to see where everyone placed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    positive or negative it's all part of the learning curve because I think he is qualified to critique our builds and I trust his judgement,and anyone who can't handle criticism shouldn't be entering into a public contest. m2c