New Launcher Release (Steam)

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    do i have to let it create a brand new install then switch its install path or can i just tell it to use the already existing starmade folder?
    You should just be able to use the already existing folder. Backup just in case.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I've had the beta launcher for a long-ass time now, on steam of course. Not wanting to lose my current singleplayer, what do I do?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    So, I've had the beta launcher for a long-ass time now, on steam of course. Not wanting to lose my current singleplayer, what do I do?
    So far we haven't been able to replicate these reports, what we expect has been happening is people have installed the game to a different path (accidentally). When they install the new launcher, it uses the default steam path and not whatever path the old launcher or beta version had set (maybe appdata).

What you can do, is use the launcher you have been using and check where the installation path is. Then copy the entire directory to your desktop or wherever as a backup, update and see what happens. If it overwrites, you'll have a backup. Please report what happens :)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So far we haven't been able to replicate these reports, what we expect has been happening is people have installed the game to a different path (accidentally). When they install the new launcher, it uses the default steam path and not whatever path the old launcher or beta version had set (maybe appdata).

What you can do, is use the launcher you have been using and check where the installation path is. Then copy the entire directory to your desktop or wherever as a backup, update and see what happens. If it overwrites, you'll have a backup. Please report what happens :)
    I don't think I phrased my question correctly, because when I got home and clicked play on Steam it magically took me directly to the release version of the launcher, which then magically took me right into the game where my singleplayer was magically waiting for me.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I don't think I phrased my question correctly, because when I got home and clicked play on Steam it magically took me directly to the release version of the launcher, which then magically took me right into the game where my singleplayer was magically waiting for me.
    So, the launcher update worked anyway?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Is it just your blueprints or the world as well?
    The old worlds are there (havent tried them yet though).
    Thing is, I'm sure I was using the non-steam version of the beta launcher - yet it still did an auto update - and then I found out my BPs had gone missing.
    I do have the steam version installed - but on a different drive, so im guessing something has crossed there.

Edit: sorted now. not entirely sure what happened, but recovered my recent BPs and had to reinstall from scratch on to the external drive. now everything seems to be working okay.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Why is there so many options buttons... just have a single button and tabs! there is no need to split everytihing between 4 seperate fucking cogs!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why is there so many options buttons... just have a single button and tabs! there is no need to split everytihing between 4 seperate fucking cogs!
    You're a bit late to the party. Cakes shouldn't be late to parties.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ohhhhhh yissssss I used to have to high-five like 6 error messages every time I launched starmade before I played, probably because of Java. New launcher is butter smooth. Keep up the good work, you sexy sexy developers you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have a bit of feedback about your new launcher. I think a check box in the build version settings that lets you permanently select to automatically update to the latest version would be sweet. Also, will it back up your game files for new updates like the old launcher? Because I can't find an option for that, nor do I see backups listed in the files for the previous two updates. If it doesn't, that was a feature I ask that you consider adding back in. I have a couple projects that take a lot of pc to save the blueprint, so I make sure I back it up before updating, and the launcher option made that super easy.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Also, will it back up your game files for new updates like the old launcher? Because I can't find an option for that, nor do I see backups listed in the files for the previous two updates. If it doesn't, that was a feature I ask that you consider adding back in. I have a couple projects that take a lot of pc to save the blueprint, so I make sure I back it up before updating, and the launcher option made that super easy.
    Yes, backups are in the latest test versions of the launcher. When the testing team have greenlit it for release, it will be made available to the public.

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    Moving Forward
    I will continue updating and improving the launcher, and already have several additional features planned. Furthermore, we here at Schine are planning on releasing the launcher’s source in the coming weeks, so if you’re keen on forking it or helping out, you can! If you just want to poke around, that’s fine, too.
    Is the source code still intended to be released or have priorities changed since the post was written 3 years ago?

Reactions: JumpSuit