Read by Schine new blocks, stairs and ladders

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm in the middle of building quite a few ships, and I really really want ladders right now...

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I like this idea. It would solve a lot of issues on smaller craft. Up until the release of rails, I've been using specially positioned thruster blocks to give a rough aesthetic appearance of ladders, then flying vertically up through the 1x1 space to upper levels of structures.

While my "fake ladder" method is effective in zero gravity, no such capability exists on planets or within ship/station gravity. I think ladders would be a welcome alternative to plex lifters, which you have to wait for, cannot pause and can only be used on stations/planets. They would also be more compact and less complex than ramps and logic elevators. The best I could do with a logic/rail elevator is a vertical shaft 6x4 meters; basically a 1x2 section for rails and logic and a 2x2 opening for the lift itself. While fun, this method is overly complex, increases server collision checks and is prone to failure when damaged

My suggestions with regard to implementation of ladders/stairs;

Ladders:

- Use a regular 1x1x1 cube which is blank on the top and bottom but looks like a ladder on the other 4 sides. This block could be embedded in a wall to sit flush or placed in an open area like a 4-sided ladder 'tower'. Pressing "R" aligns you to the ladder in a 'climbing area', adjacent to the face of the ladder you "activate". This allows you to ascend but not get stuck via collisions and negates gravity within a 1 meter radius of the ladder block so you can "climb" up. Rotate horizontally and use as the floor for a 1x1 tunnel to create maintenance shafts/Jefferies tubes for some "Nostromo/LV426" action

- Use a 1/4 slab with an opacity map ladder graphic on it (similar to scaffold, metal mesh or metal grill) Rotate it in build mode to place it against a wall. Functions the same way as mentioned above but can be placed against a wall to allow climbing. Can be rotated in different directions to create hand rails, catwalks, etc.

Stairs:

- Functionally identical to wedge-shaped blocks used as ramps but using an opacity map graphic to resemble stairs.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Last edited: