Read by Schine new blocks, stairs and ladders

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    you know wedges are cool and all but i really would like to have stairs and ladders somehow so i could climb up a 1x1 shaft while being in gravity. well that might just be me but you know... i think introducing some detail blocks to the game would not hurt

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This has been suggested before but it is still a valid idea and IMO a much needed addition to the game.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have read elsewhere on the forums that the devs are definitely interested in allowing astronauts to crawl horizontally through a ventilation shaft or vertically up a ladder, so that part is probably already in the works.

Don't know if this will be applied to scaffolding (I'd like it to be) be climbing ladders and crawling through passages (really the same thing depending on perspective) have been confirmed long ago, so I'll just set this concept as confirmed.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/make-decorative-block-usable-scaffolding-ladder.5631/

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ok sorry i might not be up to date to what is in development and what is not. yeah i maybe should have looked it up in advance ...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ok sorry i might not be up to date to what is in development and what is not. yeah i maybe should have looked it up in advance ...
    No need to apologize. I simply wanted to bring valuable nuggets of information from the dev team to light. I don't consider any feature to be definite until I'm actually playing it (a spaceship in the hand is worth two in the shipyard), so I consider this thread a perfectly valid suggestion.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Stairs would require a new block shape and IDK if it's worth that. However, a ladder could be made by modifying astronaut collision behavior with a single special type of quarter slab, and I see no reason why we shouldn't do that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree, ladders and being able to crawl through 1x1 areas should be a thing. Seriously if any of you seen the interior of the Nostromo you know what I mean.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Please...yes... Ramps arent a decent option for small ships because of the space they need ;-;

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please...yes... Ramps arent a decent option for small ships because of the space they need ;-;
    Exactly the conundrum I have every single time (even with big ships) when I need to make pathways up or down. Gravity lifts need either manual usage or logic systems, just so much easier to just put a ladder slab down and climb up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    you know wedges are cool and all but i really would like to have stairs and ladders somehow so i could climb up a 1x1 shaft while being in gravity. well that might just be me but you know... i think introducing some detail blocks to the game would not hurt
    The slabs can work as stars now, so I don't see a need for a stair block... however, I'd love to see ladders and hatches.... maybe kerbal space program style extendable ladders :D But I'd settle for an armor block with notches cut in it so it can be used as a ladder but not occupy any more space than a flat wall-- and still have full armor HP. So we'd need a ladder square and angle block for each armor type.

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The slabs can work as stars now..
    I know it is a typo but, agh. My sides!

EDIT: A few days later and I find it still abusrdly hysterical. Best typo of the year for me, Imagine the next update actually having that line there "Slabs can work as stars now". I'm so sorry but, I just haven't had a laugh of this magnitude since summer. Now if you'll excuse me, I shall now *barely keeps the laughter out* harness the power of the slabs!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I know it is a typo but, agh. My sides!

EDIT: A few days later and I find it still abusrdly hysterical. Best typo of the year for me, Imagine the next update actually having that line there "Slabs can work as stars now". I'm so sorry but, I just haven't had a laugh of this magnitude since summer. Now if you'll excuse me, I shall now *barely keeps the laughter out* harness the power of the slabs!
    My god... the giant black slab is full of stairs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My god... the giant black slab is full of stairs.
    the problem with using slabs as stairs is that they take up more room than wedges to go down/up the same distance. also (as of last time i tried on the update that added slabs in the first place) stepping on slabs removes you from gravity. that last point may have been fixed since i last tryed.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the problem with using slabs as stairs is that they take up more room than wedges to go down/up the same distance. also (as of last time i tried on the update that added slabs in the first place) stepping on slabs removes you from gravity. that last point may have been fixed since i last tryed.
    Actually, it's not just slabs that do that now, but any other shaped block that's not a wedge. Kind of annoying since I build my cockpit seats as pits in the floor.