Nerf Pirates. Please.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Especially players respawning with basic ship parts. I\'m sure some players would try to exploit it, but honestly, that\'s better than being permanently screwed over because you lost your ship core in a pirate attack.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Spawn with minimum parts and credits. Easy line to prevent exploitation:

if(player_credits=

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Pirates can already progress with the player, when you get bored of wasting Isanths you add more, harder pirate ships to the catalog.

As for how to keep new players from getting wasted... Pirates should just ignore players that have below a certain amount of cash or valuables.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Suggestion.

Typed of pirates.

1: raiders. small fighters which are normally just pests.
    2: Scavengers, large cube like ships with more firepower and a lot of armor.
    3: Gunboats, called in when fighting many other pirates, they are military class ships.
    4: battlecruisers, you pissed off too many pirates, these guys are now going to start attempting to kill you.
    5: mothership, a gargantuan vessel that roams sectors looking for prey, only the best ships can beat thismonster.

I\'d really like this, myself... I\'ve kinda been thinking about this sort of thing but haven\'t bothered to post it. :P

((However, I find these... \"Scavengers\"... to sound quite like the Borg. I do not know if their inclusion would be the best idea... as much as they are not technically stolen from the Borg, ))

Reaction score
    1. Remeber that some people are not as great at the game, just becuase you can does\'t mean everyone can. If someone else could take out stations with a single antimatter cannon block and a thruster, and acted like it\'s very simple and made fun of everyone who could not would you like it? No It makes you feel like a, to put it softly, loser who nobody likes. That\'s what it feels like to be made fun of for not being able to destroy a pirate.

2. They should be much, much slower and have a smaller detection radias. It takes probably 20 minutes to get away from them with a 50mps ship (most computers put it there).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It really feels like you should have your first 10-20 minutes playing to be in god mode so you don\'t just go to a space station getting more credits just to be swarmed by pirates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A lot of anger here I see. Anyway my insights as I am new player too.

Both sides are right. See for single player without cheating (and yes console command is sort of cheating) they are tough. And if you are lucky you can gen enough money through station mining so you can affort stuf to blow them to pieces.

Wanna proof? Check tutorial. In second official tutorial author happens to find station, and build nice ship and barely survive encounter with one pirate ship. No need to compare e-penises how good you are and how pirates were never a problem - this video shows show exactly how first few encounters looks like. You get detected you get swarmed and you die. And if you have bad luck to start in sectors with no station it takes a looot of time to mine your way up to chalenge them (not single fo me they always comes in packs).

Anyway other side, as soon as you will find your first abandoned? station and you are capabble to build ship that can pack a punch pirates are mere nuisance for you that get blown to space dust by your turrets, checker board guns without you even noticing. Something between could be nice.

Simple solution would be scaling. Not with your ship but with distance. I would like to see more deeper you go more difficult and rewarding it gets. Farther you are from 222 or 000 more tougher ships (or space monsters) you get. And it would be really simple to implement. Just ask comunity will flood you with scaled ship designs from weak to strong. that can be easily implemented in default setting for single player game.

So good luck mate others gave you some ideas that will help you to survive so I wont repeat them ... :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    someone should make a ship that is under the starting credits looks good and is strong enough to take on at least 2 isanths... actually... i think i\'ll go do that now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    note about starting credits: i am including what you can get from selling the parts you start with.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Perhaps Pirates wont be your enemy until you attack them. This will allow for new players to not have to worry about being attacked.

My suggestion to new players is to build a small stealth ship when you first start so that pirates wont attack you.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I started a new game, latest build and got instantly twice in a row (the second time after a universe-reset) attacked by 6 pirates before I even had a chance to build my ship.

They were attacking the NPC in the trade station :P

I know, it is not the official build, but I see the problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    To be fair this can be seen from two different angle, both highly accurate.

1) Pirates at the start are highly aggressive, swarming and harassing players without a moments break. They prevent you from getting a decent foothold into anything decent around you.

However...

2) Once you kill your first pirate, it\'s all down hill from there, the pirates quickly becomes little more than a minor annoyance. They becomes ever easier to kill and their attack patterns and tactics or lack of make them virtually pointless.

What I\'d like to see is a variety of pirates ships, ranging from small raiders (fighters) to large captial ships (large carriers) launching raiders to assault you. I would position these at banding around systems, so the further out you go the more likely it is that you encounter larger singular captials.

I think a few sectors grace should be made around the shops, I think sectors with shops in them at the start should be pirate free. I mean why raid a starter ship when a shop has far more loot. Furthermore, shouldn\'t the shops be armed so they can assist / defend themselves from pirates, this might give players extra assistance at the start. You could randomly encounter a pirate spawn and pull them into the defence area of the shop, the shop would then rip the starting pirate spawn a new one giving the player vital time to get going.

I do agree some serious balancing needs to be done on the pirates, but not nerfing, they need to be changed to be relevent to the gamer at all levels be it starting or high level.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having rediscovered StarMade just a few weeks ago, I found myself getting owned as well, I died many times and re-started a lot. I eventually made it to a station with a few mining lasers and got some cash, a few missiles, cannons and thrusters later, I\'m picking up the remains of 7-9 pirates. Now I\'m colonizing an entire star system with my medium sized ship (about 300 mass with 4 turrets) and recently took on 20 at once. It does get easier, as long as you don\'t rage quit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having rediscovered StarMade just a few weeks ago, I found myself getting owned as well, I died many times and re-started a lot. I eventually made it to a station with a few mining lasers and got some cash, a few missiles, cannons and thrusters later, I\'m picking up the remains of 7-9 pirates. Now I\'m colonizing an entire star system with my medium sized ship (about 300 mass with 4 turrets) and recently took on 20 at once. It does get easier, as long as you don\'t rage quit.

Reaction score
    The roblem I have with them is I have no idea how
    BOBBYs work, and if they go for \"target\" than that means they might attack shops, I haven\'t used them yet.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don\'t like them, because my first experiences with them were:

• random undock
    • lag
    • have them shooting at selected shop (not enemy turrets, but the ship didn\'t complain about being shot :)
    • difficult to manage (no clear AI-active LED in your cockpid) and turrets are target of (switch to next ship) too.