Name that Mineral!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    1. White - Platinum (metal) Condensed Star Dust (crystal)
    2. Black - Thorium (metal) Crystallized Carbon (crystal)
    3. Purple - Active Aluminium (metal) Dark Quarts (crystal)
    4. Blue - Sapphire Silver (metal) Sapphire (crystal)
    5. Green - Emerald Chromium (metal) Emerald (crystal)
    6. Yellow - Gold (metal) Crystallized Sulphur (crystal)
    7. Orange - Copper (metal) Crystallized Lava (crystal)
    8. Red - Active Chromium (metal) Ruby (crystal)
    Personally I don't like completely random names like Quantagen, because it makes it so you can't relate to it in real life.
    No offence aceface, but these minerals have already been discovered, I realise where you are coming from, but its a bit TOO realistic, and even though realism is good in small amounts, we don't want this game to become too realistic, I mean it is a space game where you can build massive ships have dodecahedron planets and anti matter cannons!!! :)
    anyway, just my opinion.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    5. Green - Avium
    8. Red - Rubicicium

1. White - Neutronium Ore/Neutronium
    5. Green - Cidanium Ore/Cidanium
    6. Yellow - Corite/Corium
    7. Orange - Adronite/Adronium
    8. Red - Hexalithite/Hexalithium
    This is the best part of names in your post @blurp357.
    I don't agree with the others (do you see a dislike function here?)

Xyrellium and Selocissium are very hard to remember (how to write these).
    I would prefer words which are either known through other Sci-Fi, easy+fast to write in chat, start with the same letter as the color, latin (as I think many heard about a city called celestria somewhere and caelum is similar)...

Last edited:
    Reactions: blurb357
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    This is the best part of your names @blurp357.
    I don't agree with the others (do you see a dislike function here?)

Xyrellium and Selocissium are very hard to remember (how to write these).
    I would prefer words which are either known through other Sci-Fi, easy+fast to write in chat, start with the same letter as the color, latin (as I think many heard about a city called celestria somewhere and caelum is similar)...
    no those aren't mine, I was just making a point that none of the names are easy to memorise

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hm. What about:
    Metals:
    • Black - Obscurium.
    • White - Energized Platinum.
    • Purple - Meridium or Violite... or... Violitium?
    • Blue - Azurium.
    • Green - Viridium. (Not mine, but it works.)
    • Yellow - Solarium.
    • Orange - Avarium.
    • Red - Ignium/Igniite.
    Crystals:
    • Black - Obsidium or Obsidian (Yes, it's a real thing, but who cares? In Minecraft it was essentially a type of magical energy-conducive black rock, why can't it be some kind of technobabblium crystal here?)
    • White - Astriite
    • Purple - Morn. Someone said it, and I approve. (Star Trek reference to a character; at least be happy I didn't say "Dilithium.")
    • Blue - Dicobalt. (Second Star Trek reference, this time to an explosive called Tricobalt.)
    • Green - Acidine... or my old suggestion, Arizite.
    • Yellow - No idea. Kialite or something?
    • Orange - Calbirine
    • Red - Oxidium
      no those aren't mine, I was just making a point that none of the names are easy to memorise
    Yeah... Those are my earlier suggestions, NeonSturm.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have a few ideas, but I doubt any of these will be used.

Ores (example: oranium: all ores end in -ium)
    -white: Yttranium (pronounced Why-train-ee-um)
    -black: Necronium
    -purple: Stuffatanium
    -blue: Isotanium
    -green: Purplexatanium
    -yellow: Margaranium (pronounced Mar-jer-ain-ee-um)
    -orange: Ferratritanium
    -red: Ferratanium
    Crystals could be whatever, but the general idea I had is that they'd all end in -ite.
    thinking of a list of crystals soon, all ending in -ite as mentioned. alot of good names have been thrown out thus far. The idea occurred to me to name ores and crystals after various existing elements in the Starmade universe. This way, there's little confusion about where they might come from, and are easier to pronounce. It also creates the game's own periodic table, somewhat. Just my opinion, but I'm throwing it out there.

Reaction score
    Would it be overly egotistical if I suggested that either blue or white were named Lunarium?
    Well, you named yourself AND the ore after Luna, not the ore after yourself. So egotistical isn't exactly the right word. I had already suggested the use of "luna" in the inspiration of blue colors. I do like blue/moon symbolism. I think white/moon symbolism doesn't quite fit... I don't think of the moon as the brightest of all. The light "from" the moon is merely a reflection of sunlight, which, on that note, it would make some sense in regards to physics to refer to white as reflective and black as absorbing.

don't care bout much but I love Miratite for Purple, and if it's not too much, Raibenite for blue would be cool :)
    Hey now, blue is the color all my ships are rockin', all of which have a nautical theme, all flying a banner of blue with a white symbol. Blue is the representative of my StarMade identity. My original Omni avatar was almost entirely blue, making a distinctive blue icon when scrolling through comments. I'm the King of Atlantis, the Blue King. If blue were to be named after someone, I'd think it'd be me. :D That being said, I generally don't think it's a good idea to be naming any ore or crystal after a person or faction, not even a member of the dev team.

But yeah. Get your own color. ;)

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Well, you named yourself AND the ore after Luna, not the ore after yourself. So egotistical isn't exactly the right word. I had already suggested the use of "luna" in the inspiration of blue colors. I do like blue/moon symbolism. I think white/moon symbolism doesn't quite fit... I don't think of the moon as the brightest of all. The light "from" the moon is merely a reflection of sunlight, which, on that note, it would make some sense in regards to physics to refer to white as reflective and black as absorbing.

Hey now, blue is the color all my ships are rockin', all of which have a nautical theme, all flying a banner of blue with a white symbol. Blue is the representative of my StarMade identity. My original Omni avatar was almost entirely blue, making a distinctive blue icon when scrolling through comments. I'm the King of Atlantis, the Blue King. If blue were to be named after someone, I'd think it'd be me. :D That being said, I generally don't think it's a good idea to be naming any ore or crystal after a person or faction, not even a member of the dev team.

But yeah. Get your own color. ;)

I always thought my color would be yellow personally, but Dalmont said it should be blue because of some on server stuff, that being said, it was more a joke. Still, Miratite actually is not an actual person or based on a proper person, So yeah, my vote is still purple=Miratite and I already have my own color :P.

Random afterthought Omni, I might have some interesting stuff for you on your creature quest :)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No offence aceface, but these minerals have already been discovered, I realise where you are coming from, but its a bit TOO realistic, and even though realism is good in small amounts, we don't want this game to become too realistic, I mean it is a space game where you can build massive ships have dodecahedron planets and anti matter cannons!!! :)
    anyway, just my opinion.
    like if u agree.
    Reaslism isn't that bad, it just makes it easier to relate in real life.

Reaction score
    I always thought my color would be yellow personally, but Dalmont said it should be blue because of some on server stuff, that being said, it was more a joke. Still, Miratite actually is not an actual person or based on a proper person, So yeah, my vote is still purple=Miratite and I already have my own color :p.

Random afterthought Omni, I might have some interesting stuff for you on your creature quest :)
    Feel free to take yellow. Nice color, but not one I feel particularly attached to. Go forth and become Lord of the Yellow. (And yeah, I knew you were joking, just as my response was intentionally over-the-top and silly.)

As for creature stuff, you know where to send it. ;) Inspiration can come in handy if I reach a block. Like writer's block but... what do you call that, nature block? God block? Mad scientist's block?
    Reaslism isn't that bad, it just makes it easier to relate in real life.
    To a point, I agree with you, while on the other hand, there is intentional deviation from direct realism in StarMade for the sake of fun, clarity and unique identity. Don't want people confusing our ores/crystals with their real life counterparts, as ours will not work the same way. Giving real names to minerals that do not behave as people will expect will cause a lot more confusion and difficulty relating it to reality than it would allow people to relate more easily.

Also, I might have given a Like to blurb357's post if he hadn't put "like if u agree." at the bottom. If I agree, I'll give a like. I don't agree with asking people to give you likes, excluding rare occasions. (Such as extremely extensive posts from a polite person that show an incredible amount of effort and research was put into their response, so they probably deserve a like, and only if they ask modestly.) Therefore I do not agree with the end of blurb's post, so I will not like it. Seriously, people. Don't solicit likes.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Feel free to take yellow. Nice color, but not one I feel particularly attached to. Go forth and become Lord of the Yellow. (And yeah, I knew you were joking, just as my response was intentionally over-the-top and silly.)

As for creature stuff, you know where to send it. ;) Inspiration can come in handy if I reach a block. Like writer's block but... what do you call that, nature block? God block? Mad scientist's block?

To a point, I agree with you, while on the other hand, there is intentional deviation from direct realism in StarMade for the sake of fun, clarity and unique identity. Don't want people confusing our ores/crystals with their real life counterparts, as ours will not work the same way. Giving real names to minerals that do not behave as people will expect will cause a lot more confusion and difficulty relating it to reality than it would allow people to relate more easily.

Also, I might have given a Like to blurb357's post if he hadn't put "like if u agree." at the bottom. If I agree, I'll give a like. I don't agree with asking people to give you likes, excluding rare occasions. (Such as extremely extensive posts from a polite person that show an incredible amount of effort and research was put into their response, so they probably deserve a like, and only if they ask modestly.) Therefore I do not agree with the end of blurb's post, so I will not like it. Seriously, people. Don't solicit likes.
    There is no such thing as "Active Aluminium" they were just random names with real life things to spice it up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Revamped list of ores based on actual elements in-game as well as crystal names:

Ores:
    White: Schinatanium/Schinacide : refers to the reflective properties of certain objects and coincidentally the name of the engine.
    Black: Gravatanium/Gravicide : can be found in objects containing gravity.
    Purple: Stuffatanium/Stuffacide (still) : comes from purple planets where purple stuff is most common.
    Blue: Isotanium/Isocide (still) : comes from ice planets or anywhere there is water solid or frozen.
    Green: Purplexatanium/Purplexacide (still) : color of purple planets when viewed from outer-space. Closer examination reveals they are purple.
    Yellow: Dessertanium/Sandacide : comes from dessert type planets.
    Orange: Radnium/Radacide : applies to lava and other objects that continually give off heat.
    Red: Necronium/Necrocide : applies to red planets where mushrooms have been often found. high levels of decay have also been found.

Crystals:
    White: Yttrite (pronounced Why-try-tuh) : nuff' said.
    Black: Gravenite
    Purple: Stuffite
    Blue: Clearite
    Green: Plexite
    Yellow: Dessertite
    Orange: Radite
    Red: Decacite

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!

how about that omni I removed the like if you agree, i just put that there to see if people agree with me. :) no assyness intended!!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will these new crystals only be used for manufacturing? Or can they be used for ship decoration aswell? If so, i'd like to suggest that the blue crystals retain the name "Ice Crystal".
    If not and these are only for manufacturing, ignore this :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe Icenite or Icenium for blue/white ice crystals? ;)

Reaction score
    Purple ore - Dilithium
    Blue Crystal - Dueterium (possibly used to create power blocks?)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!

genesis block?

Status
    Not open for further replies.