[Mothership] Project Dervish - WIP

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Coming soon.

I\'ve added a fair bit of stuff since the last pic update... I will add some new images soon. :)

~TheSol

Reaction score
    A well-deserved bump to this one!

By far the most impressive ship I\'ve ever seen. Great work!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Needless to say, this is impressive.

I\'m having a hard time comprehending how you could have possibly done all this by hand. Building complex geometry on a large scale is a very difficult task for a person to be able to visualize and complete block by block. Not to mention the absurd amount of time you\'d have to spend staring at your computer placing blocks.

Not that I can claim you are lieing, I just find it really hard to believe. There are indeed voxel editors out there that allow you to easily customize the output format of your voxel designs and edit the block set while building, but I digress.

Nice work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'re more than welcome to come visit my server while I build so you can see how I do it.

I was thinking of giving a live demonstation/tutorial for those interested in the building technique I used to make this. It\'s quite simple, if you understand basic polygon geometry.

Trust me when I say, I made a LOT of mistakes when building this. What the images don\'t show is all the screw-ups I made and had to delete. It\'s all about placing your \"vertex points\" accurately and nicely. Once those are layed down in the right place and connected (like 3D connect-the-dots), the rest is mindless.

*EDIT*

It really only works well for irregular shapes. If you\'re trying to do an exact angle (45° for example) you\'re best off doing it the \"old\" way. If you\'re going for an angle that\'s some weird imessurable \"guesstimate\" then this works rather well. As you can see the final output gives an \"organic\" feel.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reaction score
    I love the biomechanical feel coming from this ship. I mean, if I ever see one ship like that coming towards me, I would surely get the feeling that it won\'t be human astronauts coming out of this but blood thirsty aliens bent on world consumptions until it\'s dry and leave a dry rock behind when going to hunt for the next prey.... that\'s the feeling your ship gives me XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry I forgot to upload these eariler.

The turret design for the main cannons:

The front section after a bit more work:

The back/bridge area:

And the rear (looks mostly the same as before, but slightly different in places):

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way this ship would likely deal with the ordinary pirate space station (or in fact any players space station) I guess is ignoring its fire completely and just ram the station head on and push it into the nearest star ;) ...

Reaction score
    this is bigger than a planet no one can not be beat this monster its style is unbeatble its power is unbeatble its sheild is unbeatble its turrents are unbeatable its size is unbeatble its firepower is unbeatble its thrust is unbeatble its mass is unbeatble its lag is unbeatble its the new starmades best ship it deserves number #1 and can you list the server down as a comment cuz a love to see it or upload it so i can check its all of it an can or put it on youtube, im still whanting the ship and when this ship is fineshed the stats will be all over the screen =* }, the hanger would be huge for your ships it would probly be able to fit 64 huge titans, if this was spaned in starmade it would have the solar systems orbiting around it! the small ships would be evrey were if it was in the hanger like a huge sworm of ships and i do hope you have a badass computer when it fineshed and your work is inspiring me to do the same but i doint think h i can beat the unbeatble.

Reaction score
    So i just saw the pics and i must say...

That you sir are one awesome and creative person. I\'m gonna wear all my hats on top of eachother and take them off for you.

Reaction score
    More than 3 planets long, a bit more than one planet large and the same for the height... this thing is gigantic XD
    How does your computer stay sane and don\'t crash the thing all over the place? It\'s almost filling an entire sector! XD

Reaction score
    According to Vii\'s ship classification, this is ten blocks away from being a titan. Close enough for me.

Reaction score
    I can picture the hyperdrive sound from Homeworld playing when that loads in...

/nerdgasm

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been taking a break from Starmade, mostly involunatrily due to work and family commitments.

the project is still very much \"alive\", as in plan on continuing progress very soon.

Stay tuned.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am curious, how did you go about designing a ship this big and getting it to look right? Did you make a detailed drawing of it first and/or 3D-model it in another program and then go about reconstructing it in StarMade?