More to planets and suggestions on new galactic formations

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hello Community,
    This be my first post to the community forums and I wish to start my first comment on this community page by talking about the one factor in the game that I personally believe is lacking, the part of exploring the galaxy, finding interesting key locations. I understand that this is a well discussed topic, but I hear more about the structure of the planet (Spherical or Cubed) or making it larger (which is already possible in game under config). What I am more interested in is like new dimensions (like the post on hyperspace, loved reading that one) or making a surface to the sun (maybe make it something worth gathering material) or making random events possible to be standard into the game where fleets of ships will cross the galaxy with cargo. Below I have listed some of the things I believe might make a good addition to game-play or for more of an aesthetic approach (some of these been listed before, but I want to put my own little touch/opinion):

Moons:
    I know this is planned, but there is some items worth highlighting. First, there is a little known fuel source on our own moon that scientists for the past few years are figuring how to harvest, helium-3 (yeah, I'm throwing small science tid-bits to make this seem logical). Well, with a listed fuel source that could be on moons, why not make this something that would make fuel possible and make people not stay in the starting sectors forever? This could also include different variants of moons, including there own rare resources for advanced technology.

Sun Surface:
    I never understood why the suns are non-tangible objects, but it would be interesting to be able to explore the surface and gather plasma as a new power source (yeah, power source ideas come in each of these so people will need to explore, not be social hermits) or have a base made of a particular material that would last the heat of the surface. Maybe have the sun generate solar solar flares, making people who build close to the sun have to worry about power outages or damage.

Comets/Meteors:
    This is more cosmetic, but I would think it would be interesting to have random comets or meteors streak across the galaxy, allowing for having a challenge for mining or have to prepare for possible collisions planet-side. The comets and meteors might possess materials and like the moons, they might have variants.

Hyperspace:
    This is not really in the realm of science today, but it would fit well with the atmosphere of StarMade. Like in the major post on the subject (I would read it if you have not, its actually really interesting), you could have a way of entering hyperspace and move a greater distance in the real world, but at a cost. Hyperspace will drain energy slowly and your ship will not regenerate during the time in hyperspace, along with energy draining entities (not hob-goblin, shadow spirits, does not really make sense), maybe have crystal structures that will drain entities and can be mined for something (all of these items that can be mined, they can be implemented for future blocks or tools).

Ship Convoys/Fleets/More Factions:
    This thing has been done before on servers through some creative, behind the scenes stuff that I truly do not know how it works, because I have not seen the code, but you could have moving fleets of ships (not the occasionally pirate raid or trading guild ship), which could add to occasional skirmishes that might make combat actually necessary (I know some servers, it is all combat, but most people just stay away from each other). This could be loaded with isanths or have new ships designed for this or have the player made ships spawn also. Also, there needs to be more factions. This has been discussed, but if we are going to have procedurally generated creatures, it might be cool to discover races that have there own empires with their own bases (kind of like spore).

Planet Surface:
    This kind of ties in with the need of larger planets, but I believe that there needs to be more terrain variance (more than a raised hill or small cave). Maybe planets can have mountains, rivers, volcanoes or some other natural formation or alien structure.

Ancestor Structures:
    This also has been stated, but have structures that can house relics or parts of long forgotten space empires that can hold powers that could change the how end game behavior works (aka not building the biggest ship and getting exhausted with an idea). This could tie in with hyperspace or sun surface exploration. This could also tie in with a story mode adventure and maybe change the behavior of alliances with procedurally generated factions.

Planetary Warfare:
    This is a bit odd for the game-play currently, but what if their is an advantage to actually holding planets and making conquering planets/structures valuable (i.e. fuel/relics). This would make people actually venture out for structures and not be confined to one location forever.

Now, I understand that these are simple, not fleshed out ideas, but there is a reason. I wish for this page to be a think tank for these ideas or ideas like this so that these may eventually make it into implementation and get the notice of the Developers. These ideas to be frank are not creative, but are things that could actually make alliances, exploring and combat, which is really the heart and soul of every space game, actually necessary and entertaining. I hope that you did enjoy this thread and please community, keep being creative, be inspired, because out of all games out there currently, we have the greatest potential to make something incredible out of this game for years and decades into the future and allow our greatest space odyssey fantasies ever so closer. Have fun StarMade Community!

Reaction score
    Something I would like to see for planets is a way to mine them without strip mining. Something less server intensive, and possibly giving you more resources in the long term. Gives you a reason to build planet bases as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I do want to mention that some of these are not planned Zoomer. Meteors and Comets have not been planned along with the Sun's Surface and the idea of making it worth the effort to hold onto Planets, because as of this moment, they do not possess the most resources for the needs of players, because people build big. I do understand that those of relics, new factions and moons are confirmed, but some aspects are needing tweaking and to be fleshed out. The need to express what can be done with this stuff before it is implemented is needed, because otherwise it will be harder to make it later on. I do like your suggestion Pacific_Jim. This is something I wished for as well, but I truly don't know what would make it work, because in reality, that's how it works to an extent. I do appreciate you guys being so quick to respond, it shows how fast this community is. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I should have wrote most of them, but i am sure meteors and comets will come. I doubt sun surfaces will come though, but i would love to have a bunch of harvesters around a sun gathering whatever resources it possesses.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Fuel? Hell no.

I LIVE IN THE DEPTHS OF THE VOID. NO SUCH THING EXISTS.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Why not fuel? It makes people actually have to do stuff. It does not need to be a block of gas/fuel/whatever, but a item that can be put into generators/reactors and allow for some interesting game-play with planets. The only thing that needs to be really figured out is how fast does fuel decay and how much planet/moon/sun sources give per second. Also Zoomer, it maybe possible for sun surfaces, because they could make a block that is not affected by sun heat. If I'm not mistaken, sun damage is linear, so innards are not harmed by damage. It might be advanced armor based on the way they are priced. I do also like the idea of sun harvesters, they will work with something I currently working on.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I'm completely against any fuel or consumables being required as it takes away creative freedom in an otherwise highly creative game built around that freedom. However any fuel or consumables being used to boost the performance of a subsystem, rather than simply run it, allows those freedoms to continue while still giving the hardcore PvPers a reason to fight - to keep their ship stronger than equivalent ones and deny their opponents that same advantage.
    Having consumables a requirement to run a ship would also unnecessarily hurt the casual playerbase, who would more than likely not be able to be on for long enough to obtain the required fuels to keep their ships running. It's the primary reason I stopped playing Minecraft over a year ago.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Something I would like to see for planets is a way to mine them without strip mining. Something less server intensive, and possibly giving you more resources in the long term. Gives you a reason to build planet bases as well.
    Indeed extractors are way more immersive and would be a (technically) longer term value.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    ok, i can see the point. What might be a good form of it then would be having the current thrusters as Ion Thrusters (slow to start but can get to fast speeds after time), allowing the current power system to allow for propulsion. Then there would be reactors and generators to allow those who use harvesters/extractors to have greater performance out of propulsion. I do agree with you on that users should not be restricted in creativity because of required materials to continually run. Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate the very constructive arguments that have come from my comment!

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    ok, i can see the point. What might be a good form of it then would be having the current thrusters as Ion Thrusters (slow to start but can get to fast speeds after time), allowing the current power system to allow for propulsion. Then there would be reactors and generators to allow those who use harvesters/extractors to have greater performance out of propulsion. I do agree with you on that users should not be restricted in creativity because of required materials to continually run. Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate the very constructive arguments that have come from my comment!
    Yeah thats the reason SE really can't support much player creativity once you turn off creative.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Sun Surface:
    I never understood why the suns are non-tangible objects, but it would be interesting to be able to explore the surface and gather plasma as a new power source (yeah, power source ideas come in each of these so people will need to explore, not be social hermits) or have a base made of a particular material that would last the heat of the surface. Maybe have the sun generate solar solar flares, making people who build close to the sun have to worry about power outages or damage.
    Walking on the sun's surface is, first and foremost, impossible. It's not solid enough to do so. It's gravity would pull you through towards the center until you died. Secondly, plasma is not something you can just collect. All plasma is is very hot gas. You'd just end up with normal hydrogen and helium after a bit.

Comets/Meteors:
    This is more cosmetic, but I would think it would be interesting to have random comets or meteors streak across the galaxy, allowing for having a challenge for mining or have to prepare for possible collisions planet-side. The comets and meteors might possess materials and like the moons, they might have variants.
    This would be pretty simple- have an asteroid spawn in with a velocity and direction, have it despawn once it reaches an unloaded sector.

Hyperspace:
    This is not really in the realm of science today, but it would fit well with the atmosphere of StarMade. Like in the major post on the subject (I would read it if you have not, its actually really interesting), you could have a way of entering hyperspace and move a greater distance in the real world, but at a cost. Hyperspace will drain energy slowly and your ship will not regenerate during the time in hyperspace, along with energy draining entities (not hob-goblin, shadow spirits, does not really make sense), maybe have crystal structures that will drain entities and can be mined for something (all of these items that can be mined, they can be implemented for future blocks or tools).
    I'm not a fan of alternate dimensions, and neither is Schema. He wants to keep everything in a seamless universe.

Reactions: hunterRAE
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Ok, I can see the part about the sun not really being a solid surface and truly a feasible thing given the intensity of the heat and plasma. I also do understand about the plasma not being really obtainable. Same with the dimensional stuff, it was an odd idea from the start, but all good ideas start with something outside the box. Out of curiosity, what is everyone's stance on more factions and procedurally generated factions, because that would imo be pretty cool. This could add a bit more to exploring and add more of an alliance system that is not really seen, because the only thing you could do at the current moment is make enemies with the trading guild or trade with them and kill pirates.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    more factions and procedurally generated factions
    I would love to see it in game. I think procedural factions would help each universe feel unique, and it'd possibly allow smaller factions to rise on a server by allying themselves with a large procedural one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, though with this, should the empires spread? If they could, you still have faction control over an area, but the shifting balances would make you have to move around or advance to make a new home or protect your own. They should be able to provide missions, making it really interesting how you take part in the galaxy. Also if artifacts are implemented, they should influence the relations with the neighboring empires. I am still looking for ideas about space formations, because space is filled with a wide array of interesting things to explore and may make people overall interested in exploring.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, I don't mind consumables, but fuel specifically I don't really like. If weapons require consumables to fire? Sure. If players need food to survive? Sure... But I dislike tying consumables to thrust, power, or any other essential part of a starship's basic operation besides possibly jump drive. Possibly.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I agree they should be booster like that way

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Fuel? Hell no.

I LIVE IN THE DEPTHS OF THE VOID. NO SUCH THING EXISTS.
    If done right, fuel won't hurt your gameplay and could be edited out in server configs. Overall it would be a positive addition as it allows for more diverse play styles.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-manifesto-on-fuel-balancing-and-various-play-styles.5130/

If consumable resource needs are configurable enough, servers can pick and choose their own challenges and difficulty. A hardcore survival server can choose to kill starving players and render unfueled ships dead in the water, while a more balanced one might just nerf their performance, and a creative server would set both fuel, food, and ammo to "unlimited" so that they don't matter at all. All of these things should be added and be configurable on a spectrum of nonexistent/pansy mode to MLG pro harsh.