Modular mining ship

Reaction score
    So I'm currently working on a modular mining vessel. (With a thread title like that, who would have guessed!?)

My idea of modularity is less about easy construction or "Lego ships" and more about user friendly adaptability.

Prefer Salvage with Cannon slaves? Blueprint and install the SC arrays. Want Slavage/Pulse instead? Undock the old modules, replace with the SP arrays, connect a couple of wireless blocks inside, and roll out!
    Need more cargo space! Use our cargo pods. Want speed instead? Replace those cargo pods with backup engines instead.

The main ship remains mostly one solid piece, but with switchable pieces and easy to follow logic connections designed to allow for user preferences. (These are kept safe INSIDE the main ship for the most part.)

So here's where I could use some community input; What kinds of options should be included as modules, and what should just be built into the ship?

My current list of modules (which I intend to make usable in multiple models of ships) consists of:

Red Alert System- Plug it in, connect some conveniently placed and labeled wireless logic ports, and you're done.

Logic driven cargo pods- wirelessly connected cargo pods that can autocycle main storage into and out of the pods for ease of use.

Warp Pod Bay- A tiny docking bay with a rail clock built in. This clock will charge the tiny warp drives inside of any docked escape pods. Each bay holds 2 pods.

Assorted Salvage Arrays- The current model holds 8 Slavage arrays which can be any of the major salvage/slave setups. These are logic triggered via inner ship remote.

*Experimental* Super computer- a big black brick filled with logic. I'm playing with the idea of adding additional functionality for many of the other modules. For example, a system to record the current percentage of docked cargo space filled, a central logic clock, and timers set to let you know when you can fire your docked salvage arrays again.

What do you all think? How much is too much in regards to docked entities? Am I missing any mods you think would be important/useful? Would this kind of setup, allowing for easier to build* and more adaptable mining vessels be appealing to you?

*Can be built in smaller, less expensive chunks, and used for salvage at any point along the way so long as you have at least one salvage array docked.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I attempted a modular mining ship a few months ago. What I discovered is that you can't really do a modular ship. There are a few things that stand in the way: a move away from docked power, lack of turret support for salvage beams, and drone limitations.

Since docked power entities have such limited use, you will want to make sure that all of your power needs are built into the main section of the ship. Engines can't use it, and as I'll discuss, you can't really use a salvage beam as a turret.

The Bobby AI doesn't recognize the salvage beam, nor asteroids as a target. The only way to make a turret with salvage beams is to incorporate another weapon into the turret that is controlled by the Bobby AI, set the Bobby AI to fire on your selected target, and then turn on the salvage beams with logic. Even then, the turret will only target the center of the rock, and you will have to make circles around the asteroid if you wish to consume it completely. This isn't a very worthwhile endeavor.

You may not have any desire to use the ship as a drone, but if you ever get to the point in the game where you want to have fleets of miners, or make the ship available to those that would, know that mining drones have a reputation for being fickle and fragile in their functionality. Anything at all complicated is likely to not work as a drone, so you should avoid a modular design or any logic involving the salvage operation.

Simply put, there isn't a lot of room for modularity by the time you get past the limitations.

Reaction score
    Fair points, all.

I hadn't imagined this being used in a fleet. (Logic do weapons work poorly for that)

However, my current setup actually uses no AI for the salvagers. They're just stationary docked cannons, so all you need to do is slowly drift from side to side a few times to eat an asteroid.

The arrays are also self sustaining, requiring no power at all from the main ship to fire, so the main ship can focus on jamming, propulsion, shields, and jump drives.

The idea behind the salvage modules was to allow for a quick and easy way to change out salvage slave types in an affordable way.
    (I mean, in theory I could just put an equal number of blocks on the ship for each slave type and let the user make their pick, but that would be big and expensive quickly, and would also make it an armed vessel. (Which was not my intent.)

Thoughts?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    an AMS/PD attatchment may be desirable if your someplace where you might get shot at.

Reactions: Stormraven